Rangers beat up on rival Islanders

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
MANHATTAN -- It hasn't been the greatest of seasons for New York's two HFNHL hockey clubs this season, certainly not like it has been for the Devils across the Hudson. But when the Rangers and Islanders play, records get thrown out the window. The Isles had the Rangers' number earlier in the year, putting them in a hole to start the season that they never really recovered from.

Tuesday night, however, the Rangers handily beat their crosstown rivals, 5-1. With this being an Isles-Rangers game, there was of course bad blood between the two struggling teams.

Rangers GM Sean Gaffney vented after the game, "Boogaard was out there running around trying to take some heads off. That just shows how classless of a player, and I use the term player loosely, that he is."

Derek Boogaard played only 7 minutes, but had 18 minutes in penalties out of the team's 20 total penalty minutes. Included were four minor penalties (including a double minor) and a 10 minute misconduct. Just after Cory Stillman scored to make it 3-0 in the first minute of the 2nd period, Boogaard took a run at defenseman John-Michael Liles only to be met with a high stick to the helmet. No one was injured on the play, but Liles was sent to the penalty box.

Ethan Moreau made a run at Islanders goaltender Nolan Schaefer just after starting goalie Martin Biron gave up the fifth Ranger goal and was pulled from the game. A lengthy scrum followed, but only Moreau was penalized for interfering with Schaefer.

"I don't care who you are, you don't go into a game determined to seriously injure somebody, but that's exactly how Boogaard came out from the opening faceoff. Its obvious Hasnain [Jessa, Islanders GM] and the "Fishstix" coaches sent him out there with a purpose," continued Gaffney in his post game rant. "If that's the way Hasnain wants to do this, we can play that game too."

These teams meet two more times before the end of the season in what should be interesting games, even if these teams are toward the bottom of the standings. Both games at Madison Square Garden.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
MANHATTAN -- It hasn't been the greatest of seasons for New York's two HFNHL hockey clubs this season, certainly not like it has been for the Devils across the Hudson. But when the Rangers and Islanders play, records get thrown out the window. The Isles had the Rangers' number earlier in the year, putting them in a hole to start the season that they never really recovered from.

Tuesday night, however, the Rangers handily beat their crosstown rivals, 5-1. With this being an Isles-Rangers game, there was of course bad blood between the two struggling teams.

Rangers GM Sean Gaffney vented after the game, "Boogaard was out there running around trying to take some heads off. That just shows how classless of a player, and I use the term player loosely, that he is."

Derek Boogaard played only 7 minutes, but had 18 minutes in penalties out of the team's 20 total penalty minutes. Included were four minor penalties (including a double minor) and a 10 minute misconduct. Just after Cory Stillman scored to make it 3-0 in the first minute of the 2nd period, Boogaard took a run at defenseman John-Michael Liles only to be met with a high stick to the helmet. No one was injured on the play, but Liles was sent to the penalty box.

Ethan Moreau made a run at Islanders goaltender Nolan Schaefer just after starting goalie Martin Biron gave up the fifth Ranger goal and was pulled from the game. A lengthy scrum followed, but only Moreau was penalized for interfering with Schaefer.

"I don't care who you are, you don't go into a game determined to seriously injure somebody, but that's exactly how Boogaard came out from the opening faceoff. Its obvious Hasnain [Jessa, Islanders GM] and the "Fishstix" coaches sent him out there with a purpose," continued Gaffney in his post game rant. "If that's the way Hasnain wants to do this, we can play that game too."

These teams meet two more times before the end of the season in what should be interesting games, even if these teams are toward the bottom of the standings. Both games at Madison Square Garden.

The statement made by Sean Gafney (GM of New York Rangers) were quite disturbing. How can he say that Boogard was sent out their to chop someones head. Why would we do that? Afterall, we already did our job by winning four out five games in the first month of the season and losing those games basically summed up the season for the Rangers.

The next two games are meaningless but we are hoping that the schedule will allow us to open next season against each other so we can repeat of what we did this season to the Rangers.:sarcasm:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
The New York Islanders took the sweet revenge yesterday evening by scoring 8 goals against arch rival New York Rangers. Although the game was meaningless for this season, it shows how detemined the players are when it comes to playing New York Rangers.

We still have one more game to play against Rangers and we guarantee that the score will be similar to this one.:D

HFNHL Red Wings

Bah, Darn Rangers cost me sole poition of 1st with that 5-3 win Saturday. Playing the role of spoiler now are you Sean :p:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Bah, Darn Rangers cost me sole poition of 1st with that 5-3 win Saturday. Playing the role of spoiler now are you Sean :p:

Yeah, my team is always at its best (aside from the 8-4 NYI debacle the other day) when I have no chance at the playoffs anymore...

See last season's 10 game unbeaten streak to end the season... :help:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
The New York Islanders took the sweet revenge yesterday evening by scoring 8 goals against arch rival New York Rangers. Although the game was meaningless for this season, it shows how detemined the players are when it comes to playing New York Rangers.

We still have one more game to play against Rangers and we guarantee that the score will be similar to this one.:D

The score may be similar, but it will be the Rangers on top! :p:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Yeah, my team is always at its best (aside from the 8-4 NYI debacle the other day) when I have no chance at the playoffs anymore...

See last season's 10 game unbeaten streak to end the season... :help:

Think of it as building the teams confidence for next season.

Nothing to do with lost draft position at all! :sarcasm:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
The score may be similar, but it will be the Rangers on top! :p:

It would have been nice if we were fighting for one last playoffs spot or Division title rather than who would have higher draft pick at the end of the season.

However, I still think that Islanders will top Rangers again for the last meeting of the season.:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad