Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Lightning 11/25/13

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Do any of you people actually like this team ? :p

I like the sweater they wear. Outside of Callahan, who is questionable captain (but I do generally appreciate his work ethic), I don't care for their forward core at all. Including Nash who I think is a perennial loser, and is one of the most overrated, over hyped "super stars" in the NHL.

I love our defensive core and goaltending. That's it. I genuinely like players like McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto (even with the extreme criticism he gets I feel he has a lot of potential), Stralman and Moore. And I like Lundqvist and what I've seen in limited spurts from Talbot.

Their forwards though... :cry:

I'd do anything to have a truly deep team (Boston, Chicago), or a team with several elite forwards (Washington, Pittsburgh).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Here's an idea: don't give the reigning Art Ross winner multiple breakaways. Blame the first goal on Lundqvist all you want, but the defense had its head up its ass, and once again, we can't score.

This is the 2nd time on here I've seen Lundqvist take a large share (from specific posters, not in general) of the blame in a shutout loss.

It is painful watching this team try to score, it's like watching someone try to drive out of 2 feet of snow.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Here's an idea: don't give the reigning Art Ross winner multiple breakaways.
Crazy talk.
Blame the first goal on Lundqvist all you want, but the defense had its head up its ass, and once again, we can't score.

This is the 2nd time on here I've seen Lundqvist take a large share (from specific posters, not in general) of the blame in a shutout loss.

It is painful watching this team try to score, it's like watching someone try to drive out of 2 feet of snow.

Is this....logic?

Blaming a shutout loss on your goalie is hilariously stupid. You were shutout. Therefore, your offense didn't do its job and didn't give the team a chance to win.

RangersHank*

I agree.Blaming the goalie in a game where we didnt even score is insane. So in order to have a chance, the game needs to stay 0-0 until one of our fabolous forwards decide to show up?

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I agree.Blaming the goalie in a game where we didnt even score is insane. So in order to have a chance, the game needs to stay 0-0 until one of our fabolous forwards decide to show up?

Welcome to Henrik's world. There is a reason he looked deflated after the 2nd goal... he knew there was very little chance the offense was going to produce 2 or more goals to support him.

All that being said, if you are going to ask for between 8-9 mil per, I expect more big saves per game than last night.

RangersHank*

I like the sweater they wear. Outside of Callahan, who is questionable captain (but I do generally appreciate his work ethic), I don't care for their forward core at all. Including Nash who I think is a perennial loser, and is one of the most overrated, over hyped "super stars" in the NHL.

I love our defensive core and goaltending. That's it. I genuinely like players like McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto (even with the extreme criticism he gets I feel he has a lot of potential), Stralman and Moore. And I like Lundqvist and what I've seen in limited spurts from Talbot.

Their forwards though... :cry:

I'd do anything to have a truly deep team (Boston, Chicago), or a team with several elite forwards (Washington, Pittsburgh).

I said Callahan wasnt a good captain last night and people ganged up on me. Careful bro

RangersHank*

Welcome to Henrik's world. There is a reason he looked deflated after the 2nd goal... he knew there was very little chance the offense was going to produce 2 or more goals to support him.

All that being said, if you are going to ask for between 8-9 mil per, I expect more big saves per game than last night.

Yeah i agree. Everybody has to produce

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

The crazy people were chirping in the off-season about how AV's system would unlock the chains of this offense, leading to more goals, and less reliance on Lundqvist.

Now, a lot of those same people are blaming Lundqvist for giving up a goal in which the team got shut out, saying it "deflated them." What a crock of ****.

This isn't even getting into the blinders that are on regarding a team that has traditionally had trouble scoring goals (and is scoring at a worse clip than ever), but is just waiting to break out because they're "getting chances."

The whole thing stinks to high heaven. I have no patience for such poor arguments against reality.

Last edited:

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Giving up the first goal shouldn't be as much of an automatic loss as it has been this year. In past seasons, the Rangers were ranked top 10 in the league in winning percentage when trailing first. They haven't demonstrated an ability to come from behind or score a big game-tying goal late in the game at all.

RangersHank*

Giving up the first goal shouldn't be as much of an automatic loss as it has been this year. In past seasons, the Rangers were ranked top 10 in the league in winning percentage when trailing first. They haven't demonstrated an ability to come from behind or score a big game-tying goal late in the game at all.

Agreed. Going down 1-0 or 2-0 early shouldnt kill the team the way it does

Wolfy*

A typical example of Rangers pitiful situation when it comes to lack of toughness.

Last night Dorsett got spanked again, this time by a guy who doesn't fight much, but has size.

It isn't fun to watch a teammate getting manhandled like that, if Dorsett won it could have created some momentum for the Rangers and changed the game.

Fighting certainly isn't dying, it's part of the game, but the Rangers have no answer for it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah i agree. Everybody has to produce

The problem is that, during the offseason at least, the expectations of players become inflated. For example, I saw numerous posts saying Derek Brassard was going to be a 60-65 point guy. What? How? When has he ever shown hes capable of that? Only in the mind's eye, perhaps. All of a sudden, Stepan was a legitimate 1C because he got hot for 30 games with Nash in a shortened season.

The truth is, outside of a few outliers, which every team has, most guys are playing in tune with what their track records suggest -- and thats a team that doesnt have much offensive firepower.

RangersHank*

The problem is that, during the offseason at least, the expectations of players become inflated. For example, I saw numerous posts saying Derek Brassard was going to be a 60-65 point guy. What? How? When has he ever shown hes capable of that? Only in the mind's eye, perhaps. All of a sudden, Stepan was a legitimate 1C because he got hot for 30 games with Nash in a shortened season.

The truth is, outside of a few outliers, which every team has, most guys are playing in tune with what their track records suggest -- and thats a team that doesnt have much offensive firepower.

Brassard was overrated alot on this board when he first came here. Clowe too. Now people realize Brassard wasnt the answer and now people wanna trade him at the deadline for E Kane. Clowe was a fan favorite but once free agency came up and he went to the devils the tone changed to "oh well he was injury prone anyway". Stepan hasnt been this legit 1st line center this year, last year people wanted him traded for Jussi Jokinen, lol.

I agree. I got called out for saying the team needs to draft better. Most people said once Torts was gone the team will score some goals, i dont see that happening and Torts wasnt the problem imo. I liked the guy alot. Captain Cally said they can have fun now that they have a new coach, hmm. .500 is fun?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Brassard was overrated alot on this board when he first came here. Clowe too. Now people realize Brassard wasnt the answer and now people wanna trade him at the deadline for E Kane. Clowe was a fan favorite but once free agency came up and he went to the devils the tone changed to "oh well he was injury prone anyway". Stepan hasnt been this legit 1st line center this year, last year people wanted him traded for Jussi Jokinen, lol.

I agree. I got called out for saying the team needs to draft better. Most people said once Torts was gone the team will score some goals, i dont see that happening and Torts wasnt the problem imo. I liked the guy alot. Captain Cally said they can have fun now that they have a new coach, hmm. .500 is fun?

Well, on the bright side for them, they can spew garbage about how they played well in a 5-0 loss and not be held accountable for it. That sounds kinda fun.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You'd be assuming Stepan can consistently play like he did last year. He hasn't proven he is a #1 center. He had a good 48 game season. Outside of that, he's had two seasons where he has looked like a borderline 2nd line center. This season would be his third.

Brassard isn't underachieving, he is what he is. Again, last season and his post season performance is the rarity, not the norm. He's a 3rd line forward who has a 2nd line skill set, rendering him mostly useless.

Richards is a 2nd line center who looks like a 1st line center in spurts. And at other times looks like a 3rd line center. We still haven't gotten one season out of him that was as consistent as the one season Gomez provided us.

We can't really call Hagelin a legitimate top-6 forward yet when he had 38 points in 64 games as a rookie and 24 points in 48 games as a sophomore. We still need a larger sample to determine him as a top-6 forward.

Right now we have one first line forward (Nash), who is also wildly inconsistent and hasn't proven anything in the post season. In terms of actual talent and ability, he is our ONLY first line talent.

When you only have one first line player, and it's the worst scoring team since the lockout, it's hard to say it's the deepest team.

And I wasn't singling you out on that either, you weren't the only one who thought they were the deepest.

Well I seem to remember Gomez starting really slowly that year. I remember that team had as much trouble scoring as this team. You're comparing that team after it found its mojo to a team in flux right now.

Championship*

Just realized something. This is the second time this season that the rangers have bookended shutouts for and against. That's insane.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

I trade a producing Brassard for Kane nevermind the unproducing latest model.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
A typical example of Rangers pitiful situation when it comes to lack of toughness.

Last night Dorsett got spanked again, this time by a guy who doesn't fight much, but has size.

It isn't fun to watch a teammate getting manhandled like that, if Dorsett won it could have created some momentum for the Rangers and changed the game.

Fighting certainly isn't dying, it's part of the game, but the Rangers have no answer for it.

Where's George McPhee when you need him...

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Lundqvist will bounce back. He's had poor starts before. Not a really big deal. The good news is there's a guy like Talbot, but I'd be shocked if he sustains this kind of production.

If you asked me, I'd think he was one blowout away from coming back down to earth.

The rangers are 10-6 since that awful start. Not bad when you consider their schedule -- both in quality and the fact that they were on the road. We all knew the first two months would be brutally tough.

If the Rangers can go into December 14-13, they will be in OK territory because December is a joke of a month competition-wise.

I mean, at this point, what do you want, Cup Contenders? Please. Some of you guys are punching your keyboards and probably walls too for a team nobody really thought had a legit shot at the Cup. Relax.

Like I've been saying all along, they're the Cubs. Lower your expectations and just enjoy the random and/or unexpected successes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad