Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Lightning 11/25/13

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
I have to ask. Who are these mythical teams that we cannot beat in the East? The Rangers are fully capable of making a run to the Stanley Cup with Hank. A few things need to happen:

They need to become fully acclimated with the new system. We are extremely prone to the counter and it hurts us badly. We also need to focus on creating real scoring chances. Time will help here.

We need a RHD that fits this system. If we replaced Del Zotto with a righthanded D-Man who could skate and pass, our defense would be set.

We need a passing center so we can move Richards to left wing. Richards was MUCH better at wing this season. Nash will move to right wing where he's better. With Stepan, Brassard, and a capable top 6 center, we will have adequate center depth. Richards on the wing will give us solid wing depth.

The East is not good this season. We are far from out of it.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
I have to ask. Who are these mythical teams that we cannot beat in the East? The Rangers are fully capable of making a run to the Stanley Cup with Hank. A few things need to happen:

They need to become fully acclimated with the new system. We are extremely prone to the counter and it hurts us badly. We also need to focus on creating real scoring chances. Time will help here.

We need a RHD that fits this system. If we replaced Del Zotto with a righthanded D-Man who could skate and pass, our defense would be set.

We need a passing center so we can move Richards to left wing. Richards was MUCH better at wing this season. Nash will move to right wing where he's better. With Stepan, Brassard, and a capable top 6 center, we will have adequate center depth. Richards on the wing will give us solid wing depth.

They've basically been chasing the Pens since the lockout. Now they have to deal with Boston after finally proving they can beat the Caps.

And they have to deal with the fact that they brought the same roster back.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
They've basically been chasing the Pens since the lockout. Now they have to deal with Boston after finally proving they can beat the Caps.

And they have to deal with the fact that they brought the same roster back.

The Pens who we beat 5-1? The Bruins who we thoroughly dominated in shots and possession? Neither of those teams are flawless. In the West, we'd be screwed but we could take both of those teams in a 7 game series (not that it's likely, just that we have at least a 33% chance). Pens D and goalie situation is not ideal. Bruins don't have high end scoring talent. We could improve and make a run in the East.

Championship*

The east is not good. But neither are the Rangers. Thinking this team is a cup contender is ludicrous. They can't even win if they don't score first.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The Rangers can be near the top in the East but they just haven't shown us that they have the firepower to keep up with the Pens and Bruins in a seven game series. Then they also have to deal with teams that can beat them like Ottawa, Washington, Detroit, Montreal, Tampa, and Toronto, etc. The major problem is that they brought back the same team from last year.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Pens who we beat 5-1? The Bruins who we thoroughly dominated in shots and possession? Neither of those teams are flawless. In the West, we'd be screwed but we could take both of those teams in a 7 game series (not that it's likely, just that we have at least a 33% chance). Pens D and goalie situation is not ideal. Bruins don't have high end scoring talent. We could improve and make a run in the East.

Come on, Boston embarrassed us in the playoffs. Our chance at the finals was 11-12.

FFS, this team gets shutout once every 4 games, and can't stay above .500 for more than a few days. Yes, in our joke of a division, that doesn't prevent us from making the playoffs.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Come on, Boston embarrassed us in the playoffs. Our chance at the finals was 11-12.

FFS, this team gets shutout once every 4 games, and can't stay above .500 for more than a few days. Yes, in our joke of a division, that doesn't prevent us from making the playoffs.

Last year we tried to play the same type of game as Boston and they were just better at it (their size is definitely impressive). This year we're playing more of a fluid game and are a better match up against a team like Boston. Like I said, I don't think we're the favorites in that series but we'd do better against Boston than any of the top 5 teams in the West. Either way, the East is up for grabs and any team that's currently 3-10 can potentially make their way to the finals should they improve before the deadline.

I'm not labeling this current Rangers team as a "cup contender". I just don't view any East team as unbeatable. Boston is the toughest match up and there's no guarantee that you would have to go through them to make it to the cup anyway.

If we can add one puckmoving RHD that can skate and one top 6 center, I like our chances.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Last year we tried to play the same type of game as Boston and they were just better at it (their size is definitely impressive). This year we're playing more of a fluid game and are a better match up against a team like Boston. Like I said, I don't think we're the favorites in that series but we'd do better against Boston than any of the top 5 teams in the West. Either way, the East is up for grabs and any team that's currently 3-10 can potentially make their way to the finals should they improve before the deadline.

I'm not labeling this current Rangers team as a "cup contender". I just don't view any East team as unbeatable. Boston is the toughest match up and there's no guarantee that you would have to go through them to make it to the cup anyway.

If we can add one puckmoving RHD that can skate and one top 6 center, I like our chances.

I don't disagree, but those are some expensive pieces. As the team stands now, Hank will probably have to play the best hockey of his career just to make the ECF again.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Talk on whether or not we're Cup contenders is a little premature at this point. There is no clear picture of either conference's playoff race or divisional races yet. The Rangers could potentially gel and have a December like we had two years ago and be in serious conversations to take the 1 seed in the division. The Rangers could also have the wheels fall off and get a top-5 pick. They could also continue trudging along and remain a bubble team.

In looking at the way the East is set up right now, all three of those scenarios seem equally likely to me. The home stand really seems like it will make or break our year, at this point.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
I don't disagree, but those are some expensive pieces. As the team stands now, Hank will probably have to play the best hockey of his career just to make the ECF again.

I agree but we have several pieces that can be used to acquire those two things. MDZ has value and we have a bunch of young forwards. Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, and Hrivik should all have decent value but I don't think we'll have room on the roster for all of them to play. Brassard is movable. Boyle and Zuccarello probably are for the right deal. Honestly, everyone is if the right offer is put on the table.

You might not need to move major pieces to acquire rentals that fit the bill of passing center and RHD.

RangersHank*

No team is unbeatable. But 7 games against a team like Boston would take its toll on this team. We beat Pittsburgh, so what? That means we are a step above them now? Hank can only do so much

RangersHank*

I agree but we have several pieces that can be used to acquire those two things. MDZ has value and we have a bunch of young forwards. Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, and Hrivik should all have decent value but I don't think we'll have room on the roster for all of them to play. Brassard is movable. Boyle and Zuccarello probably are for the right deal. Honestly, everyone is if the right offer is put on the table.

You might not need to move major pieces to acquire rentals that fit the bill of passing center and RHD.

So why do you get rid of Boyle? One or our better defensive forwards and faceoff guys and PKer. Who replaces him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad