Rangers announce additions to hockey operations staff

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

most of these have been known...but finally officially announced by the team.

one I wasn't aware of is Konowalchuk moving from amateur scout to pro scout...not sure what to think about that given the hype when we hired him...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Another assistant coach in Hartford. I like that. I think it better with a coach and two assistants than one and one. Looks like a couple of Columbus amateur scouts came over with JD too.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
JD lookin more and more like a Murray brother :laugh:
bigstock-Brian-Doyle-Murray-at-the-Acad-58561889-400x600.jpg

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Did we not have a north american scouting department? Or was it all jumbled together?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did we not have a north american scouting department? Or was it all jumbled together?

Jed Ortmeyer was responsible but they have expanded now, and promoted Ortmeyer to Director of player management, with the 2 new guys being development coaches

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Not sure how I feel about the Chris Morehouse, Marshall Davidson, and Derek Ginnell additions. Columbus does not have a great track record in their scouting but I guess it's more eyes. So long as they don't replace anyone. I think our American scouts have been doing great. Maybe we will finally get some coverage in the CHL?

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not sure how I feel about the Chris Morehouse, Marshall Davidson, and Derek Ginnell additions. Columbus does not have a great track record in their scouting but I guess it's more eyes. So long as they don't replace anyone. I think our American scouts have been doing great. Maybe we will finally get some coverage in the CHL?

The way it works sometimes is the guy that a scout is really pushing for--his team decides to take someone else instead and then his player turns out to be the better pick than the guy his team picked instead.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Jed Ortmeyer was responsible but they have expanded now, and promoted Ortmeyer to Director of player management, with the 2 new guys being development coaches
Ortmeyer was hired as Director of Player Development in 2017, not anything to do with scouting. That position is overseeing the development of the players we already have in our system. Scouting has always fallen under Gordie Clark, since he came a decade or so ago, as Director of Player Personnel. Whether amateur, pro, European, etc., Gordie runs that side of things.

To answer the question directly, we don't have a "North American scouting" department, but that would all fall under amateur and pro scouting. We do have a European scouting department.

Reactions: egelband

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
The way it works sometimes is the guy that a scout is really pushing for--his team decides to take someone else instead and then his player turns out to be the better pick than the guy his team picked instead.
sure but that sounds like speculation. the JD connection is all i can bank on, hoping JD knows what he is doing. Maybe they did just as you say.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ortmeyer was hired as Director of Player Development in 2017, not anything to do with scouting. That position is overseeing the development of the players we already have in our system. Scouting has always fallen under Gordie Clark, since he came a decade or so ago, as Director of Player Personnel. Whether amateur, pro, European, etc., Gordie runs that side of things.

To answer the question directly, we don't have a "North American scouting" department, but that would all fall under amateur and pro scouting. We do have a European scouting department.

Yeah.

And his subsection is an interesting topic and development. Its not a black or white area. These prospects is under contract with other teams with coaching staffs in place that decide how they should train. It can be done in a good war or in a bad way. We all know how our organization functions and knows that we will make an effort in ensuring that this is executed friction free vs. the prospects current masters. But just saying, if you brought this topic up for discussion at a round-table with with coaches from for example the SHL, people would have things to say about it. And sure, you can pose the question, is Jed Ortmayer really better at giving advice to a certain prospect on how to train than the coaches they currently have?

I think it worked great in relation to Lias Andersson when he was in Sweden. I saw video of how Frölunda had cut of a section of the ice during a practice (some sort of open practice, IIRC a group of guys where working on one-timers on the other side of the ice), and our skating expert was working on skating technique with Lias. I know Frölunda's coach fairly well and I can bet on how he reasoned, like 'they want to bring a coach to our team and tell one of our players how to practice?? Hmm, sure, what harm can it do, we will still oversee things, and we could always learn something. We want to be the best.'

I think in general, it will have a good effect and not create a lot of friction.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
The Rangers are a first class organization. They will not step on anyone’s toes. They are investing in these guys’ future, and it will only make the amateur program or junior team or college or whatever look better if their player makes the NHL and excels, let alone in NY. Free advertising, notoriety, etc. Are they really going to turn these guys away? No way. Hockey is a game full of people with respect and deference. That hasn’t fully changed yet

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Yeah.

And his subsection is an interesting topic and development. Its not a black or white area. These prospects is under contract with other teams with coaching staffs in place that decide how they should train. It can be done in a good war or in a bad way. We all know how our organization functions and knows that we will make an effort in ensuring that this is executed friction free vs. the prospects current masters. But just saying, if you brought this topic up for discussion at a round-table with with coaches from for example the SHL, people would have things to say about it. And sure, you can pose the question, is Jed Ortmayer really better at giving advice to a certain prospect on how to train than the coaches they currently have?

I think it worked great in relation to Lias Andersson when he was in Sweden. I saw video of how Frölunda had cut of a section of the ice during a practice (some sort of open practice, IIRC a group of guys where working on one-timers on the other side of the ice), and our skating expert was working on skating technique with Lias. I know Frölunda's coach fairly well and I can bet on how he reasoned, like 'they want to bring a coach to our team and tell one of our players how to practice?? Hmm, sure, what harm can it do, we will still oversee things, and we could always learn something. We want to be the best.'

I think in general, it will have a good effect and not create a lot of friction.

Jd already made it very clear that they will be working with those other teams. They aren’t going to just bust in and teach the kids things their current teams don’t agree with. If tanner glass spends time at Wisconsin with miller it will be with tony granato’s approval

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Not a fan of JD hiring his brother and son-in-law. Screams nepotism. Hope they know what they're doing.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not a fan of JD hiring his brother and son-in-law. Screams nepotism. Hope they know what they're doing.

not really directed at you but just a pet peeve i really hate the 'nepotism' argument that assumes that because they are related they aren't qualified. they have both been working in the nhl for years. morehouse was the director of amateur scouting with columbus. this isn't a guy that was just given a fluff scouting job

everyone company in the world, no matter what the industry, will hire someone that they know over someone that they don't given similar qualifications. yet people act like this is something unique to the rangers

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
not really directed at you but just a pet peeve i really hate the 'nepotism' argument that assumes that because they are related they aren't qualified. they have both been working in the nhl for years. morehouse was the director of amateur scouting with columbus. this isn't a guy that was just given a fluff scouting job

everyone company in the world, no matter what the industry, will hire someone that they know over someone that they don't given similar qualifications. yet people act like this is something unique to the rangers

Guess who gave the Columbus job? JD. Would they have that kind of role in an NHL organization if they weren't in his family? Probably not. Doesn't mean they don't do a good job, but it could definitely be seen as concerning.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Guess who gave the Columbus job? JD. Would they have that kind of role in an NHL organization if they weren't in his family? Probably not. Doesn't mean they don't do a good job, but it could definitely be seen as concerning.

he was not related when he got hired. married JD's daughter after so that must mean he is qualified

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad