Proposal: Rangers and Maple Leafs

SFD22

Mar 9, 2003
Simcoe, Ontario
Visit site
TO TOR: Dan Girardi @ 4.5 (1.0M retained x 4 yrs)

TO NYR: Joffrey Lupul @ 4.25 (1.0M retained x 2 yrs) + Peter Holland (RFA)

Ranger fans seem more than happy to drop Girardi but I think he can bounce back (before last season he was an ironman). Leafs get a RHD with leadership that could play beside M Rielly. Rangers get Lupul who may be LTIR'd or actually play and add offence.

member 157595

Insert each and every "NO" meme on the Internet here. Then post each of them a thousand times.

That's approximately 1% of my reaction.

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
No Salary retained on either player and you have a deal, but holland needs to be signed before hand

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
no thanks from the leafs, we will be happy to have Lupuls contract fall off after 2 years, don't need another bad contract for 2 more years after and give up Holland to do so.

I am aware DG is a better and has more value then Lupul just don't think he is a fit here.

member 157595

No Salary retained on either player and you have a deal, but holland needs to be signed before hand

I would rather bathe in athlete's foot for the entire duration of Girardi's contract than trade for him without retention.

EDIT: He has FOUR ****ING YEARS LEFT?!?!? That's almost Clarkson bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Given the term left on Girardi it is a non starter. If he had 2 years left like Lupul..then mayne I would consider a straight up deal.

Otherwise...good luck to you.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'll take Girardi, if the Rangers take Lupul, Robidas, Horton, Laich, and Greening.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
:laugh:

So we're taking on 2 extra years for what? To get rid of Holland? Who we could have not qualified if we didn't want him?

Ummm do I need to say pass? Or was this terrible proposal a rhetorical question?

member 157595

You realize that Pavel Buchnevich is a top prospect, right?

It makes absolutely no sense for the Rangers to trade Buchnevich just to get rid of a bad contract. They need to add youth, not subtract.

From Toronto's end, there's basically no sweetener sweet enough for me to take Girardi without max retention. We miraculously got out of the Clarkson horror and there's no reason to tempt fate again.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Both teams are probably stuck with their respective guys until the contracts expire and the sooner the better. If Toronto had a contract of equal term to move but cheaper it might work.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
We are rid of Lupul in 2 years. Why would we take someone who is signed for two years on top of that for more money, and pay Holland for the privilege?

Maybe if it was a good player, but Girardi is terrible.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
no thanks from the leafs, we will be happy to have Lupuls contract fall off after 2 years, don't need another bad contract for 2 more years after and give up Holland to do so.

I am aware DG is a better and has more value then Lupul just don't think he is a fit here.

Girardi has negative value. Lupul also has negative value, but for less term.

Therefore, Lupuls value > Girardi's value.

buttman*

Leafs have set themselves up nicely to clear most of their bad contracts next yaar. They'll be slearing the couple remaining -- like Lupul -- the year after. The chances of them adding a bad 4 year deal is about as likely as pigs flying.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Lupul probably injures himself opening this thread and goes on LTIR. Pretty easy pass for me.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I have a bag of blackened kind of gross bananas I would like to throw out but my wife won't let me as she wants to make banana loaf with them or something.

Would I want to trade my one bag of gross bananas for your two bags?

No thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad