Friedman: Rangers and Golden Knights among NHL teams interested in IIHF suspended Zaripov

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Scott Powers‏Verified account @ByScottPowers 22h22 hours ago
The Blackhawks have reached out to Zaripov, according to a source.

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
Tampa, Chicago... It makes sense. Zaripov was a part of the two best lines in the KHL (MZZ and MKZ), and they both played in kind of an old-Soviet style, like Tampa's Triplets or KAP in Chicago.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I'm with you, the disregard for athlete's health in that post (sports being just about being better "by any means necessary") is stunning. One of the worst hot takes I've seen in some time.

I don't understand the moral high ground argument. Why do you care what a stranger takes?

Its is his choice if he wants to put his career and or health at risk by taking a steroid/stimulant/bath salts.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I don't give a **** what he took or if he even does it again as long as he doesn't get caught.

Hes not am NFL player beating women. If be can help our club them I don't know why he isn't a Ranger yet.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...lkin-penguins-third-line/stories/201709050150

More information from a Pittsburgh beat writer about the Penguins pursuit of Zaripov. They seem to still be in the research phase.

A couple articles said that his agent put calls in to a couple teams. Combine that info with "Penguins are front runners", I take that to mean "He would like to go to the Penguins because he feels that is his best chance to win and he would like to play with Malkin. If they offer a contract, the Pens are his first choice".

Whether or not it's a two way road remains to be seen. Like Will Butcher, I'm neutral. If we do, I hope it works out. If not, oh well, not gonna lose sleep on this.

I'm betting he's closer to Tikhonov and Plotnikov than Panarin.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The comparison for Zaripov that I'm going to use again is Cervenka. Comparisons like Plotnikov don't make sense because they're not at all similar players. Cervenka and Zaripov are at least closer, and I think Cervenka's NHL production (pace of 35-40 points per 82 games) is a fair low guess for Zaripov.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I mean, if he can provide a team with one or two decent years of production, I don't see why not. He probably won't be demanding much money, considering he is going to want to play somewhere this year and the NHL is likely his best bet to get paid the most.

He has had very good production in the KHL, and if placed with a player like Malkin, could most certainly translate to the NHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The comparison for Zaripov that I'm going to use again is Cervenka. Comparisons like Plotnikov don't make sense because they're not at all similar players. Cervenka and Zaripov are at least closer, and I think Cervenka's NHL production (pace of 35-40 points per 82 games) is a fair low guess for Zaripov.

I'm just going to guess you don't watch KHL or international hockey a whole lot, there isn't anything similar between Zaripov and Cervenka, they use completely different tools to be successful.

Regarding Zaripov's production, it all depends how he battles age. To be honest I have very serious doubts if he's still a potent NHL player at all. He was looking significantly weaker last year already and unless he reverses that process it's not going to be pretty for him in the NHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The age thing concerns me the most. It's not uncommon for guys his age to post a decent season and then show up the next and completely fall off the map. Coupled with switching to a more difficult league and a different surface, it could be tough for a guy who already seems to be trending downward.

I am not familiar with the player and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, that his skills are still great. That may be; I'm just expressing my concerns.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Your concerns are on point. Physicality (speed, shiftiness, strength) is a huge part of his game and those are things that age the most. He doesn't have an exceptional shot, size or playmaking ability that would let a slow player be really effective in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad