Rangers Alumni Discussion

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nicky is my idol and favorite of all time. Both were way better players and fighters then Ed,, Nicky today would be a rich man, best shot in the nhl right now and could fly just didnt stop well lol.

That was part of the fun watching Nicky. He was like a bull in a china shop when he hit the ice. Many fans today do not realize Nicky had a pretty darn good wrist shot. I hated when he went to Hartford (expansion draft?). Thanks to some luck I was at his first game back as a Ranger. My friend and I made a poster board for him that game and it ended up on the back page of Newsday the next day.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
I have Ed Hospadors autograph I met him at least 25 years ago in Ft Lauderdale and he was hanging with of all people Paul Coffey his autograph to me said, Peter keep your head up...Ed boxcar Hospodar...I still have it....I have a hard time believing he and BECK were friends because after Ed left Barry would try to fight him every time there def was something going on between them dislike wise...

Barry Beck was not overrated when it came to fighting when you have Gillies holding on not throwing punches out of respect you know you are a badass...I am a Beck homer though growing up my numbers were 3 and 5...As good as Barry was we never saw the full potential because of the shoulders

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have Ed Hospadors autograph I met him at least 25 years ago in Ft Lauderdale and he was hanging with of all people Paul Coffey his autograph to me said, Peter keep your head up...Ed boxcar Hospodar...I still have it....I have a hard time believing he and BECK were friends because after Ed left Barry would try to fight him every time there def was something going on between them dislike wise...

Barry Beck was not overrated when it came to fighting when you have Gillies holding on not throwing punches out of respect you know you are a badass...I am a Beck homer though growing up my numbers were 3 and 5...As good as Barry was we never saw the full potential because of the shoulders

I kind of remember it the other way around. When Hospodar was a Flyer he would take cheap shots at our non fighters and there were 2 occasions Beck wanted to go get him and Hospodar preferred to keep messing with other guys instead of going with Beck.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'd love to watch Reijo Ruotsaleinen on this squad. Man could he skate and wouldn't he be wonderful on the powerplay and overtimes.

Reijo was so cool. I remember a couple of years Slats would just bring Reijo in for like the last 10-15 games of the season and playoffs for the Oilers.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Yes that's what I said boxcar would never fight Beck...Beck was always quick to drop the gloves with him but Eddie would hide behind the ref

QUOTE=NickyFotiu;94341385]I kind of remember it the other way around. When Hospodar was a Flyer he would take cheap shots at our non fighters and there were 2 occasions Beck wanted to go get him and Hospodar preferred to keep messing with other guys instead of going with Beck.[/QUOTE]

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
he was Bubbas little buddy touch RR and Barry tried to kill u

They were perfect compliments. Both all star caliber players in totally different ways. How fun would it be to see them in their prime again?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Not sure where to put this, but I just went on a Youtube tangent, and long story short I ended up learning that the Rangers gave up their 1st rounder in 1988 (#5 overall) for head coach Michel Bergeron. This was a couple of years before I got into the team, so I have no recollection of this.

That's pretty steep compensation, no? Was there speculation at the time that the Rangers would have drafted Roenick? Seems likely since they ended up drafting his Thayer teammate (Amonte) in the 4th. This seems like a history altering kind of event.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
So....how come RR was never signed to longer contracts ? Geesh...he was our leading scorer one season and then he was gone....what's the reasoning there ?

I thought Vickers was a great Ranger . Larouche also brought a lot of excitement when he was on the puck....he could flat out score !

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Dagoon / Nicky / surf - I love the nostagia you guys have provided with these memories. While I appreciate the enforcer roll. Barry Beck's acquisition was at the expense of one of my favorite Rangers, Pat Hickey!

Thanks Drew. Pat Hickey was one of my faves also when he played with the Swedes but for some reason Pat's game declined. We reacquired Pat two years after the trade but his scoring was not the same. From reading books from that era I learned Pat was a pretty funny guy as well.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Not sure where to put this, but I just went on a Youtube tangent, and long story short I ended up learning that the Rangers gave up their 1st rounder in 1988 (#5 overall) for head coach Michel Bergeron. This was a couple of years before I got into the team, so I have no recollection of this.

That's pretty steep compensation, no? Was there speculation at the time that the Rangers would have drafted Roenick? Seems likely since they ended up drafting his Thayer teammate (Amonte) in the 4th. This seems like a history altering kind of event.

That whole Bergeron scene was all about ego. Espo, Bergy, Filion and Madden. All came out lookming like fools.

That pick could have been Roenick, or how about Selanne ? :shakehead

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Thanks Drew. Pat Hickey was one of my faves also when he played with the Swedes but for some reason Pat's game declined. We reacquired Pat two years after the trade but his scoring was not the same. From reading books from that era I learned Pat was a pretty funny guy as well.

Remember when they called him One-Punch Hickey? From that time he knocked out that guy, I can't remember who, with one punch. :laugh:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Remember when they called him One-Punch Hickey? From that time he knocked out that guy, I can't remember who, with one punch. :laugh:

I think that may have been Glen Patrick. I never really thought of Pat as a fighter.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
I think that may have been Glen Patrick. I never really thought of Pat as a fighter.

Nicky - yes - he wasn't much of a fighter. Maybe he had one with Duane Sutter that can barely be seen on YouTube. He was one of the fastest Rangers. From that trade 2 players actually found themselves on the Rangers again. Pat and Lucien DeBlois. I do remember when he came back the 2nd time wearing #24. (Dave Silk had #16). Hitch was great. I believe he was a founder of Ice Hockey In Harlem at Lasker Rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad