Rangers Alumni Discussion

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Nicky - yes - he wasn't much of a fighter. Maybe he had one with Duane Sutter that can barely be seen on YouTube. He was one of the fastest Rangers. From that trade 2 players actually found themselves on the Rangers again. Pat and Lucien DeBlois. I do remember when he came back the 2nd time wearing #24. (Dave Silk had #16). Hitch was great. I believe he was a founder of Ice Hockey In Harlem at Lasker Rink.

That incident I remember like it was yesterday. It was in pre-season in the 79/80 season. Sutter totally mugged him, blindsided and pounded his head into the ice. It was sick. Sutter should have been on medication. Lunatic.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nicky - yes - he wasn't much of a fighter. Maybe he had one with Duane Sutter that can barely be seen on YouTube. He was one of the fastest Rangers. From that trade 2 players actually found themselves on the Rangers again. Pat and Lucien DeBlois. I do remember when he came back the 2nd time wearing #24. (Dave Silk had #16). Hitch was great. I believe he was a founder of Ice Hockey In Harlem at Lasker Rink.

The 5 for 1 Beck trade had many people disagree but those 5 did not have the impact of Beck. Lucien and Pat both put up respectable stats but bounced around a lot. Any idea why? I remember Silkie. I think he was our first Olympian after the 1980 upset. Hitch was a fast skater. I believe his nickname in the Rangers year books was "Wheels".

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I didn't like them at the time but I do like seeing them now.

Murdoch was my first favorite player ever. As a little kid I remember going to a NY Ranger vs NY Islander open practice. My dad wrote down on a piece of paper the guys I should watch.

#14 Murdoch
#7 Gilbert
#77 Espo

Before things started Murdoch was flipping pucks straight up and hitting the roof of this small practice facility. He must have had a lot of strength in his forearms to do that.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Murdoch was my first favorite player ever. As a little kid I remember going to a NY Ranger vs NY Islander open practice. My dad wrote down on a piece of paper the guys I should watch.

#14 Murdoch
#7 Gilbert
#77 Espo

Before things started Murdoch was flipping pucks straight up and hitting the roof of this small practice facility. He must have had a lot of strength in his forearms to do that.
Murdoch was my favorite too. All the talent he had...he was amazing to watch.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
I remember when Hedberg and Ulf Nilson came over from Winnipeg of the WHA in the late 70,s. It was going to get the Rangers the Cup but some a***ole broke Nilsons ankle and the rest is history
Hedberg was in a very memorable TV commercial with 3 of his teamates back then:yo:

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
Do any of u recall hedberg as a ranger back in the 80's

what do u recall about his game?

Was he a 200 foot player who played in all situations?

Ty
He was a very reliable 200 foot player. He obviously came over from the WHA as a prolific scorer. Between losing his sidekick for extended periods due to injuries, higher quality of play in the NHL, and Hedberg himself getting a little older and losing a step, he became a totally different player with the Rangers. Very solid, very reliable top 6 winger who was basically a point a game player. Of course, there was ALOT more scoring then so I would say he'd be a 55-65 point player in today's NHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hedberg was a really good skater--very fast--not a tall guy but a thick body--wide very balanced skating stance. Excellent shot and a good playmaker. A diligent worker in all areas of the ice. Kind of a 5'11 version of Zuccarello but one that would shoot more. He was very good at everything.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Do any of u recall hedberg as a ranger back in the 80's

what do u recall about his game?

Was he a 200 foot player who played in all situations?

Ty

Hedberg had skills. He was a good skater whose games was built around his very good wrist shot. He was not going to stickhandle like Ulfie but he was a sure bet for 30 goals a season (mostly on wrist shots off the rush).

Ulfie was my favorite player at that time. He could stick handle and had great vision. I never got over him being injured. It seemed like such a rip off to me as a young fan. He would have came close to 90-100 points as a rookie if he was not injured. He was leading the team in scoring when he was injured. He matched up so well with Anders as players.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Those early swedes got assulted night in and night out when they firs broke ino the nhl and the whl

Yeah Ulfie and Anders had a target on them as Swedes. I never understood why since Salming (another Swede) was already in the NHL for around 5 years. Maybe it was because they came over from the WHA and had nice contracts. John Davidson used to call out some of the cheap shots they had thrown at them. I think that was part of what started the Bruins shoe incident. I still remember how poorly officiated that game was. Ulfie and Anders were not tough guys that would fight but they were like Bossy in that they would not let cheap shots deter them from playing their game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah Ulfie and Anders had a target on them as Swedes. I never understood why since Salming (another Swede) was already in the NHL for around 5 years. Maybe it was because they came over from the WHA and had nice contracts. John Davidson used to call out some of the cheap shots they had thrown at them. I think that was part of what started the Bruins shoe incident. I still remember how poorly officiated that game was. Ulfie and Anders were not tough guys that would fight but they were like Bossy in that they would not let cheap shots deter them from playing their game.

Pretty much because the NHL back then was still about 95% Canadian and of that 95%--90% of the players came out of Canada's major junior leagues--and loads of them had been educated in minor league hockey to boot. Hockey players back then had a very aggressive survivor's mentality. They weren't passive when it came to physical play or defending themselves. And we still had the Broad St. Bullies going strong and the Big Bad Bruins trying to hang on to that identity and bench clearing brawls.

Anders Hedberg had a stronger, stockier frame than Ulf Nilsson. Nilsson got drilled by Denis Potvin. He was never the same after that.

KingEriksson

#ErikssonToNYR
Nov 17, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Any recent news on Michael Sauer?

Has anybody heard any recent news on Michael Sauer? I used to love that guy, him and McDonagh were a sick pairing. I haven't heard much about him since 2013.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Derek Boogaard Boy on Ice ..

Finally got around to reading this book and got to be honest I know it is one writers point of view but wow does the NHL and the Rangers come off as both clueless and very inept in the way they handled the entire situation.. The Rangers cough cough Sather knowingly signed a drug addict at the height of his usage and then tossed him aside.. The amount of drugs prescribed to this young man was enough to kill a army of men and is very well documented. I am really surprised that ESPN or someone has picked up on the story and ran a documentary on prescription drug use in pro sports.. The NHL rehab program consisted of trips to California to the beach side hotel with no supervision other then daily phone check ins or weekly visits. The inside story and depression this guy suffered from is heartbreaking, Derrick and I had exchanged emails when he signed with the Rangers. He was super friendly and was eager to be part of a project i was part of.

here is a brief review of the book,,

http://www.cleveland.com/books/index.ssf/2014/10/the_short_sad_life_of_hockey_b.html

i would be willing to lend it out if anyone here would want to read it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad