Confirmed with Link: Rangers Acquire Rights to RW Barclay Goodrow; Signs Contract (6 Years, $3.642M AAV)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know the people that hate this deal are always going to hate this deal, but hopefully some of the other contracts we're now seeing help provide some context and make it abundantly clear that the terms here weren't some completely off-the-board nonsense shit. It's clearly market.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I know the people that hate this deal are always going to hate this deal, but hopefully some of the other contracts we're now seeing help provide some context and make it abundantly clear that the terms here weren't some completely off-the-board nonsense shit. It's clearly market.
like who?

Armia 4 years / 3.4M? that's the closest comp I've seen.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Yep. I mean, look at the forwards signed this calendar year that are similar

Foligno
Pearson
Laughton
Lowry
Armia
Jenner

All between 3-4m. Term is longer for Goodrow than any of them, but several are 4 and 5 year deals.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Oof Danault only went for less than 2m more, same term
So weird why he left Montreal for an extra 500k a year.
They were talking about 6 plus for him.. of well, habs fans are adamant that offense dies on his stick . He is what he is, an excellent defensive 3C

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
So weird why he left Montreal for an extra 500k a year.
They were talking about 6 plus for him.. of well, habs fans are adamant that offense dies on his stick . He is what he is, an excellent defensive 3C

The Kings have the perfect environment for a player like Danault. The only center ahead of him on the current depth-chart is Kopitar, and anyone else primed to surpass them both will likely do so after Kopitar has passed his usefulness as a top-six center, at which point Danault is either still a useful resource in the middle-six or an anchor enjoying his payday in Los Angeles.

The Rangers OTOH have Zibanejad, Strome, and Chytil all in somewhat uncertain circumstances regarding their future in the tea, which conpromises the certainty of Danault’s position as well.

All-in-all, joining the Kings with the hopes on being a top-six center is easier than with the Rangers, and the media scrutiny around hockey is way more intense in NYC and the surround area than in LA. Context is necessary with situations like this.

Last edited:

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Goodrow has two rings and was, from the games I saw, positively instrumental in his teams wins.

joel armia has done absolutely Jack shit in comparison.

It's a good deal, because unless the kids stagnate, this should now be a playoff team.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Goodrow has been great so far. He’s hard on pucks and a great fore checker. If you haven’t liked his game so far, your expectations are out of whack.

Our bottom two lines have done well so far. Night and day vs last year (brett howden :eek:)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's playing on a new team, for 4 games, with a new coach for everyone, and with the lines all over the place due to injuries and inconsistencies. If anyone was expecting him to come in and score 40-50 points they were sadly mistaken.

I've compared Goodrow's game to that of Boone Jenner. Similar guys. Solid 2-way power forwards who have some skill and can be moved around the line-up like a swiss-army knife. That's valuable unto itself in today's NHL with COVID, injuries, etc. The deal is really a 5 year deal where he will make only $1.25m in salary in his final year after the $1.25m signing bonus is paid.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Goodrow may never crack 10 goals in a season for the duration of his contract but thats not why hes here. Hes been big on the PK & does a lot of the cycling and keeping pucks alive in the Ozone that Gallant wants to see. And, this is purely an eye test thing, but when Gallant wants to spark a line, he usually puts Goodrow there for a shift and it seems like its actually works, specifically for Mika/Kreider.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Goodrow may never crack 10 goals in a season for the duration of his contract but thats not why hes here. Hes been big on the PK & does a lot of the cycling and keeping pucks alive in the Ozone that Gallant wants to see. And, this is purely an eye test thing, but when Gallant wants to spark a line, he usually puts Goodrow there for a shift and it seems like its actually works, specifically for Mika/Kreider.

Yeah but what happens if the Ozone Hole gets worse?

Reactions: McRanger92

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC

I don't think that is happening intentionally. The times he's taken laf's spot have been when he got stitches or if PP2 was out and Laf needed a rest.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think that is happening intentionally. The times he's taken laf's spot have been when he got stitches or if PP2 was out and Laf needed a rest.

Possibly but Gallant also said he liked moving Goodrow around in one of the postgame pressers

bov

Nov 13, 2010
When he was with TB, just the definition of a solid player. Nothing flashy, but you could argue he was the best defensive forward on the team. I know the contract is big, but seeing him on your top line (at the moment) makes me think he has proven his value, at least to an extent. Personally, I'd feel comfortable with Kredier-Zibanejad-Goodrow up against any line in the league.

Impressions so far?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad