Post-Game Talk: Rangers 5 Pens 2

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
------ the response after last game, esp w Toch calling them out

That's all I got.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
+ I turned it off when it went to 4-1 and did nothing which was still more productive than continuing to watch.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I think the thing about Kunitz is that he knows that his game is **** now. He has negative confidence. He used to get by being able to skate with the puck long enough to get it to Sid, but now his hands and feet are starting to fall behind. I don't know how he's going to turn it around.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Trying to stay positive.

Beau and Geno look good together. Too bad we have so many damn right wingers because Hornqvist would look great with them.

Biggest problem against isles and Rangers is neutral zone turnovers. Both teams have insanely fast transitions off of turnovers. Just chip the damn puck in the zone. Once we establish zone time we generated chances. Most of what the Rangers got we have to them by turning the puck over in the gray areas

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I've been saying this for 3 years. I'll say it again:

The Penguins HAVE to take a step back before they can move forward. That means dumping guys like Kunitz, Scuderi, Martin, Adams, Sill, and maybe Sutter.

Yes, I know, no depth, not a lot of value. I don't care. Move them off the roster, suffer a bad season (who cares anyhow, right? Not like there have been many great ones lately), then take your new found flexibility and fill out the roster.

You have to be better with your decision making/money/assets than Shero was. I don't know if that's a big ask.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
- the coaching staff - bad personnel decisions, bad structure, horrible breakout & transition, bad zone entry, and no changes to beat the Rangers after 4 games doesn't bode well for the playoffs

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
This one was rough.

+Crosby
+Perron
+Greiss--thought he was pretty good in relief
=Spaling was okay
=Downie hit Staal after the whistle. Didn't get his money's worth though

Everyone else gets a minus.

-Johnston. Flower's playing too much. Greiss should have started, imo

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I have my doubts the people running this team will figure out the answers but this type of adversity is something I believe this team needed to experience in the regular season. Too often they have coasted to the playoffs after having no adversity all year and when adversity finally hit in the postseason they didn't know how to respond. Hopefully they will learn from this.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
It's funny that Perron has stepped in and become a (if not the) top contributer, but we're losing enough games that he probably can't tell he isn't still in Edmonton...

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
20 year old Maatta means that much to this team. Rangers got shutout last two games until they get here where goals are just gifted to the other team.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
well that was painful to watch.

+ perron
+ crosby

- turnovers. so many turnovers
- pens looked confused and sloppy. no structure

image of the game: scuderi's own goal... it actually looked like he was trying to score against fleury (if so... not a bad goal. he may have a scoring touch) :help:

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
+ Should be no doubt in the GM's mind, heading up to the trade deadline, that this team has the players necessary to succeed in the playoffs.

- Not sure how he can fix all the holes. Do you try to fix the defense, offense or goaltending, depth, physicality? Can't fix it all.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Major Disappointment:

Coaching staff comes in and preaches movement on the powerplay, support 5 on 5, support defensively, shoot the puck from all angles, crash the net, and puck support in the cycle.

Do you guys see that team? Do you see the team that MJ preaches and has preached for quite some time? I don't get it. I don't see progression in the system, I just see a team that plays to their abilities some nights and some nights they don't. I don't get it. The coaches say the right thing over and over again but they just don't do much to change it. The players either aren't listening or the coaches aren't coaching what they say. I'm not at practice so I don't know.

You have to admit they preach the right words. The show on the ice does not match it.

Positives:

+ Sid/Perron and Geno/Beau: I'm not saying they had good games, because they didn't, but you can see something to build on going forward. Those are the guys I focus on. Build around that.

+ Downie: Thought Downie played well.

Negatives:

- Sutter: Back to invisible land. He comes alive for a few games and disappears.

- Defense: Scuds, Ehrhoff, and Martin are playing far below their level. Like really far below their level. Despres played brilliant hockey for the first part of the season and now is struggling. That's to be expected w/ a guy like Despres but his struggles are tough when the other guys aren't playing well. Bort is still a year off from playing his role consistently at the NHL level. Let's face it... Maatta being hurt sucks.

I'm really disappointed in our defense. We have the roster and the talent, but they all play below their ability. It really sucks. We've had solid defense for awhile but they simply cannot play at a high level for a consistent amount of time. They've never come through and played better than they are. I'm really disappointed in the three I mentioned above.

Only defender playing well this season is Letang and even tonight he struggled a bit.

- Kunitz: Get rid of him. Do anything. He's hot garbage. At least bench his ass.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The more I think about it the more convinced I am that fleury, martin, kunitz, scuderi, adams, sutter, and sill all need to be shipped out. A thorough cleansing of this roster is needed to purge all these bad habits and general demeanor out of the organization once and for all. Leaving letang off the list for now because he's been good for the most part this season, but if he slips back into his braindead play of last year he can go too. The sooner we make the necessary moves the sooner we can get back on the right path to contention.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think the thing about Kunitz is that he knows that his game is **** now. He has negative confidence. He used to get by being able to skate with the puck long enough to get it to Sid, but now his hands and feet are starting to fall behind. I don't know how he's going to turn it around.

Problem for next year. Boston had a blueprint for how to deal with what 14's going through with Iginla--don't let him touch the puck in open spaces unless it's time to shoot. It's not ideal and 14 can't finish quite like Iggy, but it's the best chance they have of getting something out of him.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I've been saying this for 3 years. I'll say it again:

The Penguins HAVE to take a step back before they can move forward. That means dumping guys like Kunitz, Scuderi, Martin, Adams, Sill, and maybe Sutter.

Yes, I know, no depth, not a lot of value. I don't care. Move them off the roster, suffer a bad season (who cares anyhow, right? Not like there have been many great ones lately), then take your new found flexibility and fill out the roster.

You have to be better with your decision making/money/assets than Shero was. I don't know if that's a big ask.

Not gonna happen with the "can't waste crosby/malkin's prime' mindset.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
It's funny that Perron has stepped in and become a (if not the) top contributer, but we're losing enough games that he probably can't tell he isn't still in Edmonton...

He wanted to play more in Edmonton, so at least he is getting that.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Kunitz looks almost defiantly bad at this point. Aggressively terrible.

Also, turns out Rob Scuderi might be mentally disabled if that 3rd goal is any indication.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad