TSN: Randy Sexton Likely leaving to Become AGM for Buffalo

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This seems like a pretty big loss. Our drafting post 2009 has been pretty damn good with the amount of picks we've had..

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Congrats to him on a nice, deserved, promotion.

He will be missed, but he deserved to be rewarded for his great work. As long as he does not take a bunch of scouts with him.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
On the eve of the draft? I get that we probably already have our draft board assembled but it still seems like a strange time for the move to be announced.

If I were in his position, I'd rather see my responsibilities through and finish the draft with the Penguins and THEN move to Buffalo. Seems like one of those college football moves where the coach leaves his team right before the bowl game.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
On the eve of the draft? I get that we probably already have our draft board assembled but it still seems like a strange time for the move to be announced.

If I were in his position, I'd rather see my responsibilities through and finish the draft with the Penguins and THEN move to Buffalo. Seems like one of those college football moves where the coach leaves his team right before the bowl game.

He will be leaving after the Draft.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
This was reported as pretty much a done deal the day after Botts left for Buffalo wasn't it?

My guess is Penguins wanted him to work through the draft period.

As long as he hasn't been providing info to Buffalo I don't see there being a conflict of interest.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
huge loss IMO.

Shero brought us guys like Pouliot, Morrow, Bennett, etc.

Sexton is the guy who brough in guys like Sheary, Guentzal, Rust, and so on. Probably the best thing Shero did in his time here was redo the scouting department and put Randy in charge. Though Shero largely had his hand who was picked in the first round.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Really wish the compensation picks were still a thing.

Gosh dangit!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
huge loss IMO.

Shero brought us guys like Pouliot, Morrow, Bennett, etc.

Sexton is the guy who brough in guys like Sheary, Guentzal, Rust, and so on. Probably the best thing Shero did in his time here was redo the scouting department and put Randy in charge. Though Shero largely had his hand who was picked in the first round.

Shero gave him the mandate of what to prioritize at the draft:

Former Penguins GM Ray Shero had a few non-negotiable criteria he passed along to his scouts. For a prospect to get on the Penguins' list, he needed to have a mix of skill, a consistent pace to his game, hockey sense, competitiveness and the ability to play without fear of confrontation.

A criterion that wasn't on the list? Size. The Penguins were willing to overlook the typical height and weight concerns if a player checked all those other boxes. Guentzel certainly did.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...kie-jake-guentzel-steps-sidney-crosby-absence

Even though Shero didn't scout the players himself, his prospect criteria set the table for the team we have now. The small, skilled, feisty plug-and-play guys we got under Shero weren't some happy accident.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Which former 2009 player do you think it will be? Dupuis?
:laugh:

This was reported as pretty much a done deal the day after Botts left for Buffalo wasn't it?

My guess is Penguins wanted him to work through the draft period.

As long as he hasn't been providing info to Buffalo I don't see there being a conflict of interest.
I don't know about the day after but it has been known for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad