Random WJC thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
looooob said:
why is there a perception that Phaneuf brings no offence to the table?

he has a .5 goal per game average this year, and basically a PPG in the WHL, and he's been more or less a PPG player at the last 2 U20s

is he Sergei Gonchar? no. but I see a player with a good shot and respectable passing ability

I know people like to point to Scott Stevens offensive numbers in the 1980s...and while they were good, they weren't in the level of the high end offensive dmen of that era. I think Phaneuf has similar upside relative to the current era than Stevens did (somehow I'm sure this will be construed as a Flames fan saying that Phaneuf is definitely the next Scott Stevens--which I am NOT)
Fine.....relate it to the 93-94 season.....Stevens led the devils in points. When Phaneuf does that call me. The Devils basicly forced Stevens to cut down on offense to play all defense to win championships. He has the offense though, Stevens has a hard low bullet....should still be used on the PP.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
X-SHARKIE said:
I have four Czech games on the way...but I was talking to a guy who works for ISS and he told me that the Czechs well utalize Kaspar as a defensive forward and have him play more of a physical role for the team rather then be an offensive player. From what I hear he has succeeded. 16 penalty minutes isn't bad either :)

So yeah 1 goal 1 assist isn't great, but he performed his role and did it well.
Kaspar didn't make many good plays offensively. He was physical though.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Chief said:
You might want to mention that to Kevin Lowe ;)

The fact is that Schwarz was not the concensus better goalie prospect last year and it's silly to think that this year's WJC performance will dictate who the better pro is. Montoya did not look like a stud goalie prospect in this tournament - no doubt about that - but it's not the end of the world. This isn't directed at you necessarily but it looks to me like there's too many people with anti-Ranger (or anti-Sather) sentiment who like to pile on when there's the chance. In fairness, there's also just as much pro-Ranger sentiment apologizing for Montoya's dissapointing performance.
I don't know who the better pro but Schwarz has by far the better skills to work with and has left his country to better himself. Thats dedication.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Jason MacIsaac said:
I don't know who the better pro but Schwarz has by far the better skills to work with and has left his country to better himself. Thats dedication.
Those who are Pro-Ranger, can apologize all they want, however, as a non biased fan when it comes to the Rangers, I can speak without predjudice when I say that Montoya had a horrible tournament. This tourney last year made him the 6th overall pick in the draft, at he was chosen, I feel rather foolishly ahead of Schwarz. What makes it worse is that he had an opportunity to show the hockey world that the Rangers made the right move in selecting him, and he failed miserably.

The real question for me, is not that the Rangers should have taken Schwarz, but they should have taken a skilled winger, or a big stud center instead.

For the record I think Schwarz is the better keeper now and will prove it in time in the NHL. The only real problem with him was that being from Europe, there would be longer waiting period for him to get used to the NA way of playing. Well I think he is on the fast track now, seeing as he came over earlier than most Euro goalies. I feel he will be starting for St. Louis within 3 years.

Phanuthier*

Jason MacIsaac said:
Fine.....relate it to the 93-94 season.....Stevens led the devils in points. When Phaneuf does that call me. The Devils basicly forced Stevens to cut down on offense to play all defense to win championships. He has the offense though, Stevens has a hard low bullet....should still be used on the PP.
Jason, I'm not sure you realize the fact that we are Flames fans, and as a Flames fan, you can't possibly blame us for taking an optimistic (or possibly the most optimistic) potential of Dion Phaneuf - like a fan of any team would.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
octopi said:
19. Obviously, Montoya has a lot of work ahead of him, just like every other kid in the tournament. Announcers thought his poor play was due to injury and lack of work ethic.

To tell you the truth, I don't know if he was injured or not but he's back in Michigan and has started the games. Stats do not look good as he gave up lots of goals this week-end.

I would think he would have been given a break if he was injured. Montoya is one of the goalies who has seen the most action all year in the NCAA, and then went off to the tournament. He might be tired but I doubt he is injured.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Puckhead said:
As far as Weber being better than Suter, forget it. They have different styles, but they will compliment eachother very well, and Nashville has some really exciting prospects in their system. David Poile should be very happy with the job he and his scouts have been able to do. Shafigulin, Radulov, Weber, and Suter, very nice!!!

agreed. Weber plays a vicious physical game, but Suter is the more complete defenseman. I will say this...Weber started the season below Kevin Klein in the eyes of most...Preds fans and organization included...but his consistent good play(going back a couple of seasons now) and the fact that he seems to continuously get better and better..has changed that..and that's not a knock on Klein. Weber has just exceeded expectations time and time again. I'm actually sort of hoping Kelowna gets knocked out early, so we get a chance to see Weber in Milwaukee for a few games, this year :yo:

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:

sigh. where did I ever say Stevens doesn't have the offence?I think Scott Stevens is one of the alltime greats. Consensus first ballot Hall of Famer. One of my favorite (non-Flame) players. I've stated several times on this thread (and others) that I will be thrilled if Phaneuf is even 2/3 the player Stevens is.

but , regardless of whether Scott Stevens led the Devils in scoring in 93-94 or not, my only point is he was not in the very highest tier of offensive defencemen during the 80s-early 90s (Coffey,Bourque,MacInnis,Housley etc). Stevens was very very good offensively, but not great. I think Phaneuf has solid offensive upside/ceiling, but of course I would be thrilled if he could match Stevens (relative to era).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad