Random WJC thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Some for now since I'm waiting...

- Carl Soderberg was a surprise. Has the physical presence of a NHL player. St. Louis Blues must be thrilled with him, atleast they should be. Can't see why he fell to #49.

- Marek Schwarz was the best goaltender... atleast thanks to his team. I think Tuukka Rask would have dominated the tournament had he had a better team infront of him. He'll tear next years WJC apart.

- Shawn Belle was solid in his role, made a few bad plays with the puck that fortunately didn't lead to goals for the opposition, but he iced the puck atleast 5 times in an attempt to make an outlet pass. I don't think his upside is "tremendous".

- Niklas Bergfors wasn't played much, he should have been a factor offensively for the Swedes. His stock went up with the tournament.

- Ladislav Smid was very good defensively and lacked an offensive game. Average tournament for him, he let his team down... even though they managed the bronze.

- Montreal prospect Christopher Heino-Lindberg was good... his numbers aren't as good as fellow Hab Jaroslav Halak, but I think he's defintely the better NHL prospect. So quick and mobile while Halak is slow like molasses.

- Undrafted goalie David Rautio was good, can't see him going undrafted again.

- Dan Syvret was okay... but I wouldn't draft him with anything higher than a 6th or 7th round pick. Smart, but not very good offensively or anything great defensively.

- Jeff Carter is great.

- Ryan Suter was good for the Americans... though I don't think he should've been named to the tournament all-star team.

- Toronto prospect Dimitri Vorobiev was a pleasant surprise. One of the biggest steals in the 2004 draft so far.

- USA Hockey bombed.

- Al Montoya sucked... New York Rangers plans for rebuilding have taken a major hit just by selecting him over Marek Schwarz.

- Brian Lee has a lot of talent, but he showed he's as dumb as a brick... atleast right now.

- Marek Kvapil is very crafty, but he's weak and not very quick. May be worth a late round pick in the future though, you never know.

- Michal Gulasi was great for Czech-Republic. His stock shot up and he's a good defensive defenseman for the 2005 draft, whenever that's held.

- Major disappointments...

Braydon Coburn
Cam Barker
Robert Nilsson
Alvaro Montoya
Jesse Joensuu (though I didn't see much of him)
Ladislav Smid
Boris Valabik
Alexander Radulov
Lukas Kaspar (major disappointment)
Adam Pineault
Alex Goligoski
Denis Parshin
... among others...

- Quietly surprised...

Thomas Greiss (good showing vs. Canada)
Anton Belov
Alexander Nikulin
Roman Polak
... others...

- Worst player in the tournament...

Winner: Jeff Likens

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't know why i keep bothering, but schwarz didn't really have a spectacular tournament in the end really...his stats were worse than montoya's after 2 games even

and it's just way too early to say who's gonna be better...one tournament doesn't determine how a prospect will turn out. montoya had a rough tournament and obviously needs to pick it up, but he's not a bust at this point and not even a bad pick at this point. if he continues to play like this through next year, then i'd be worried.

also, the rangers rebuild isn't dependant on montoya when it comes to goalies...they still have an excellent prospect in lundqvist who could very well become a great starting goalie and who will get his shot before montoya is ready for the NHL. and blackburn is still in the equation, we just need to see how his health is

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
My random thoughts...

- great coaching job by Sutter, the team looked like a mirror of their coaches play. Desperate, pressure hockey, finishing checks and being opportunistic. Special teams were great.

- Jeff Carter - very impressive, great speed, good potential.

- Patrice Bergeron - In a tournament with Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, etc. he won the scoring title. great poise in the offensive zone.

- Dion Phaneuf - gave and received lots of punishment. steady rearguard, nice future ahead.

- Anton Khodobin - disappointed, he was impressive the other times I saw him. It just wasn't his night. No fault on the first goal though, just a great play/shot and that goal set the tone for the game.

- AO - got the type of attention he'll have to expect in big games. Hope he's not hurt too badly.

The Canadian boys really played as a team and it reminded me of the US the prior year. I don't think there's much question that the familiarity of all the returning players with each other was a big factor.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
There's been a lot of classic hockey on lately and it's always fune to see D men like Robinson/Savard and Lapointe again. The quality they had that you don't see much of today is the calm or patience in their game. Miss a hit, have your play broken up, never any panic or running around. I see that quality in Phaneuf. He trusts his defence partner and wingers, doesn't get caught chasing the puck, seems to choose the right play. He's definitely ready for a new challenge. I haven't seen a better looking D man at that level in a long time.

Man I wish the Habs had Mike Richards. He's a pure winner. Teams that win Cups always have guys like him who have a knack for making a big play at a crucial time.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Jason MacIsaac said:
A year and one month ago Schwarz was by far the best goaltender going into the 2004 draft.

You might want to mention that to Kevin Lowe ;)

The fact is that Schwarz was not the concensus better goalie prospect last year and it's silly to think that this year's WJC performance will dictate who the better pro is. Montoya did not look like a stud goalie prospect in this tournament - no doubt about that - but it's not the end of the world. This isn't directed at you necessarily but it looks to me like there's too many people with anti-Ranger (or anti-Sather) sentiment who like to pile on when there's the chance. In fairness, there's also just as much pro-Ranger sentiment apologizing for Montoya's dissapointing performance.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
from a Pred fan perspective,Nashville prospects showcased themselves pretty well in this tournament;

suter...
weber..
radulov..
shafigulin..

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Vlad The Impaler said:
McGuire, like many fans, does have a way of going by draft position and name on the jersey when describing. I have a feeling if Shafigulin had the status of a Svitov (top 5 pick) he would have raved about him.

Just another pick that demonstrates how insanely deep the 2003 draft was. I like the upside and he was definitly the surprise player of this tournament for me. He will rise on lists pretty soon, IMO.

As much as I would like to agree about Shafigulin, I simply do not. He looked decent at times, but he dove consistently in the two games I saw the Russians. His offense was decent......and backchecking was good, but I failed to see anything extremely special out of him. I was impressed, naturally, but I still see nothing more than 3rd liner for this guy. Fortunately, it appears I am in the minority with this opinion, and thats fine. I'd much rather a prospect surprise me then let me down. Hoepfully Shafigulin will become a big part of our future center corps.

Last edited:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
How did Bergeron get picked out of the second round :dunno:

Outstanding scouting jobs by the Bruins. I'd say it's a toss up between Bergeron and Phaneuf for MVP. Both were awesome and I'd say this is the best Canadian team ever at the World Juniors. This team with Horton would be insane.

I'd have to agree that Pierre McGuire is a bit bias but you gotta love his intensity. The line of tournament had to be, "THE RUSSIANS ARE DROPPING LIKE FREE BEER AT A FRAT PARTY" :lol :joker:

X-SHARKIE

Vlad The Impaler said:
Thanks for the props, Hossa :)

In regards to Bernier, I feel he is a fantastic prospect. But he is actually the last player I wanted to see on this team, for such a tournament. He's high maintenance and an enigma. He requires a stable environment and to be figured out by linemates and coaches alike.

I have to differ, Steve is actualy from what I hear a good kid who is a hard workin kid, he improved so much this past summer you have to commend him for his efforts and his work ethic on the ice is sensational for a guy who should/could be in the NHL when the season starts back up.

Coach Larue raves about his coachability and his ability to adapt to the new system in Moncton (defensive)

leafaholix*

X-SHARKIE said:
I have to differ, Steve is actualy from what I hear a good kid who is a hard workin kid, he improved so much this past summer you have to commend him for his efforts and his work ethic on the ice is sensational for a guy who should/could be in the NHL when the season starts back up.

Coach Larue raves about his coachability and his ability to adapt to the new system in Moncton (defensive)
You're way too high on Bernier.

If he was worthy of being in the NHL this season, he would have made this team.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The biggest surprise of the tournament for me is Ladislav Smid. I never saw him play before the WJC and he impressed me a lot. His first pass are perfect. Not just "good" or "great" - perfect. In the 3 games I've seen from the Czechs, he did not miss one first pass. Not one. He is very skilled, things seems to be so easy for him. I feel he's got the potential of a franchise player in the NHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just a few thoughts of my own in relation to this thread:

Vlad: I agree with pretty much everything you said, although I think you're a bit harsh when it comes to Suter, but that's me. If you or anyone else prefers Phanuef, that's your option. I don't, for reasons I've explained in other posts.

For everyone in general: This one tournament isn't going to be the end all for any prospect. The flip flopping I see with guys like Montoya borders on absurd. Its way too early to label him, or anyone else that performed under par a bust. If NHL teams were as wishy washy as HF posters......well, let's just say there would be many injustices done.

Last edited:

leafaholix*

markov` said:
The biggest surprise of the tournament for me is Ladislav Smid. I never saw him play before the WJC and he impressed me a lot. His first pass are perfect. Not just "good" or "great" - perfect. In the 3 games I've seen from the Czechs, he did not miss one first pass. Not one. He is very skilled, things seems to be so easy for him. I feel he's got the potential of a franchise player in the NHL.
You may want to re-watch the USA game... his passes were FAR from perfect.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
For everyone in general: This one tournament isn't going to be the end all for any prospect. The flip flopping I see with guys like Montoya borders on absurd. Its way too early to label him, or anyone else that performed under par a bust. If NHL teams were as wishy washy as HF posters......well, let's just say there would be many injustices done

honestly it's way too early to sing the praises of the guys who did well too...it's a junior tournament and most of these guys are still developing a lot. some won't develop much more, some will have huge development...a guy who does real well in this tournament might amount to nothing in the NHL

it's fun stuff and lets you see some of the skills of the young players, but i don't think we can use this as a guide to who's gonna make the NHL and be a star and who's not

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
- Shawn Belle was solid in his role, made a few bad plays with the puck that fortunately didn't lead to goals for the opposition, but he iced the puck atleast 5 times in an attempt to make an outlet pass. I don't think his upside is "tremendous".

If the worst you can say about him is that he iced the puck a few times on outlet passes(which happens all the time in the NHL with guys like Zubov doing it), then perhaps you are maybe, just maybe starting to change your view on him ;) . Seriously though, everyone here knows you dont like Belle. Just give it up already.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Vlad The Impaler said:
15-Shawn Belle is underrated as a player and a prospect. Was very good last year too and as far as I'm concerned, is progressing very nicely. Very underrated, even by Dallas Star fans. Very high potential, IMO.

Sounds like he had a great tournament, even though it didnt show up on the scoresheet. Thanks for the insight :handclap:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Good to know Belle was impressive enough for Vlad to notice him. There's been a lot of talk (and critisism) about him recently, especially regarding his hockeysense which he appearantly lacks according to some people. But he has terrific size, is an amazing skater, is strong, positionally sound and is recording career numbers for his respective WHL team. Glad to know the coaches were happy with him as well..

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
If the worst you can say about him is that he iced the puck a few times on outlet passes(which happens all the time in the NHL with guys like Zubov doing it), then perhaps you are maybe, just maybe starting to change your view on him ;) . Seriously though, everyone here knows you dont like Belle. Just give it up already.
I love Shawn Belle... I don't like how some people say he has tremendous upside.

Because he doesn't... atleast not if he doesn't fix his play with the puck. Which is doable.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I agree 100% with Vlad about Malkin. He's good but I am not sold on him either and he is no where near Ovechkin.

Voloshenko has good skills and again, as Vlad said, he needs room or he is ineffective.

Biggest "unknown" prospects to stand out were Shafigulin and Shirokov. Someone's gotta draft that guy Shirokov. Although his showboat antics kinda get old but he's got skills.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
I love Shawn Belle... I don't like how some people say he has tremendous upside.

Because he doesn't... atleast not if he doesn't fix his play with the puck. Which is doable.

You are kind of contradicting yourself here. On one hand, you say you dont like people saying he has tremendous upside. Thats fair. You also say he doesnt have tremendous upside, unless he fixes his play with the puck, which is doable. And it is entirely possible he can fix his play with the puck, which will in turn lead to his tremendous upside. You see what I mean?

Munchausen

Vlad The Impaler said:
Smid is like the anti-Phaneuf. Although Dion has improved, I don't really like him with the puck until he's in the offensive zone. Then he rocks my world.

With Smid, I absolutely love him with the puck from his own zone until he crosses the offensive zone. Then he is absolutely unthreatening and predictable.

Smid is really good. You made a good point that I forgot in my observation. He just makes great, safe plays from his own zone to get things going. He's very calm, heads up and he develops a good play. I liked that. Didn't like him much once things were set and it was time to score. With his size and poise, there is something to work on here. Perhaps a little more hunger is needed, some killer instinct.

Smid does have a very good shot though and seems willing to use it on the PP. He'll become a great PP QB and puck mover over time IMO. He just needs to learn how to create better shooting lanes for himself.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
You are kind of contradicting yourself here. On one hand, you say you dont like people saying he has tremendous upside. Thats fair. You also say he doesnt have tremendous upside, unless he fixes his play with the puck, which is doable. And it is entirely possible he can fix his play with the puck, which will in turn lead to his tremendous upside. You see what I mean?
It's doable, but unlikely that he'll improve his puck skills.

I'm saying it's not impossible, but I wouldn't hold me breath.

I like him, I think he's a great off-ice character as well... his TSN interview last night was great.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I thought I'd take the time to post some of my own thoughts.

1)I was wrong about Dion Phaneuf. I have stood up and questionned him time after time, calling different aspects of his game into question, whether it be his positioning, his smarts, or his offensive ability, he does have it all. Phaneuf is much more than just a hit machine hi-lite reel generating defenceman, he is clearly a franchise type defenceman who has the ability to turn the tide of a game. Having now seen him play in about 15-20 games, it's no longer plausible to deny that reality that he has all thetools needed. In the top competition he could possibly face he turned up his game another notch and made Alexander Ovechkin a non-factor. Furthermore, together him and Weber, made the Russian team PLAY like they were beaten up. From about 5 minutes into the second period, it seemed, to me at least, as if the Russians were thinking twice about crossing the blueline, making an extra move, holding on the to puck another second, etc.

2)This is NOT the end of the world for Alvaro Montoya. He was ridiculous last year, he stood on his head, and I still maintain that Canada would have won last year's WJC if not for him. He sucked this year. People can try to say "he was okay" later in the tournament, but I disagree. He sucked through and through. I believe young goalies are FAR streakier than young forwards or defenders. They are more prone to go through 5-8 games of standout play and awful play. I would not read all that much into this performance, but rather look at his first 10 games back in the NCAA to see how he rebounds from it. That is more important in my books.

3)Braydon Coburn and Andrew Ladd are getting shat on for no reason. Both played very solid tournaments. People seem to blast members of Team Canada because they don't perform to someone's statistical expectations. Anybody who tries to tell me these guys didn't do EXACTLY what was expected of them needs to give their head a shake. I'm sorry, but Ladd was perfect in his role. He created space and gave time to his linemates. He was in position to receive passes for them. He was not expected to create huge amounts of scoring chances on this team and on his line. His job was to be where his linemates needed him, to bang away at loose pucks, and to knock around the defenders. He did that to a T. Braydon Coburn was solid. He moved the puck effectively, knocked opposing forwards off the puck, was in good position all the time, (avoided having pucks banked off him into his own net :P ) and frankly, did very little wrong. For a defensive unit that was so dominant (and face it, Phaneuf/Weber did not play 60 minutes a game), it boggles my mind how people can try to say that one or two (him and Syvret seem to take a lot of abuse) could possibly be remotely close to as awful as claimed.

4)Arsi Piispanen was just baaaaaaaaaad. He showed that he was incredibly scrawny and he can't play the style that he wants to against more physical teams. He may have been the captain, but if I'm Doug MacLean in Columbus I'm getting a little worried.

5)Mike Richards was the epitomy of what a captain needs to be for Team Canada at the WJC. He brought a hard, but clean, edge of physical hockey to the team and still contributed offensively. I wanted Carter to get the nod before the team was named, but Richards filled the role more than admirably.

6)Adam Pineault saw very little ice time, and when he did not play like himself. I'm hearing rumblings of a knee injury, but that's purely a rumour. I'll try to find out more tomorrow in Moncton.

7)Petr Vrana did a hell of a lot more than I expected for him. I look forward to seeing him play twice in Moncton in January. He put up more points than I thought he would and he actually played really well. That was the first time I'd seen him do anything than over-ratedly suck.

8)I want to see more of Lukas Kaspar. He did not put up the big offensive numbers that some may have hoped for, but he played a good blend of physical hockey and seemed to be alright defensively. People are listing him as a disappointment, but I don't really see it that way. He was sort of what I expected, the numbers were not there, but I thought the performance was alright.

9)Gulasi is going to be a very good fourth defender for some NHL team around 2010. It's going to take him some time to adjust to a faster paced game, but he is going to absolutely thrive on the smaller ice surface eventually. I was hugely surprised with how he played, and how effective he played against strong competition.

10)I thought Ryan Getzlaf was AWESOME. He was a "big body presence", he passed the puck well, he cycled it, he used his huge shot to his advantage. He was very good back checking, he did everything really, really, really well. I couldn't give him enough kudos for his performance.

11)People are going to use this tournament to reflect upon why Sidney Crosby is not the real deal. They're going to say he should have scored 10 goals and had 15 assists in 6 games. Sidney Crosby did everything he needed to, and everything he was asked to. He did not get as much ice time as he should have, but that's becaues the enormous depth the entire team had. He's still a 17 year old playing against guys who just turned 20, and he still was magic when he was on the ice. He outperformed his "adversary" in all around play when it mattered, and he was good overall. He scored, he generated offence with his playmaking, he was physical, he did a great job backchecking (especially in the offensive zone when opponents were just getting to the blueline) and he hustled back to his own defensive zone.

12)Stephen Dixon should not have been on this team. He served his purpose well enough, I suppose, and its difficult to stand out in that role, but he really did not do a whole lot. He was there purely on last season, and another similar player, preferably Alexandre Picard SHOULD have been there, but the team won, and that's all that matters.

X-SHARKIE

I have four Czech games on the way...but I was talking to a guy who works for ISS and he told me that the Czechs well utalize Kaspar as a defensive forward and have him play more of a physical role for the team rather then be an offensive player. From what I hear he has succeeded. 16 penalty minutes isn't bad either :)

So yeah 1 goal 1 assist isn't great, but he performed his role and did it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->