Random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
This probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but couldn't figure a more appropriate thread to put it in, so here you go.

So with the whole world being turned on it's ear by a virus that kills fewer people than die choking on gas station hot dogs each year, international travel is obviously becoming a nightmare scenario. We are seeing the affect with what is happening with the Jokerit games in Helsinki. So I had this thought, and it's just a thought and I don't actually expect it will happen. But the concept might be kind of cool if it was modified by people a lot smarter than myself.

The idea is to ditch all of the non-Russian teams in the KHL and go back to an all Russian team format. That would bring the league down to 18 teams. The VHL currently has 26 teams, all located in Russia. Maybe bump 2 teams up from the V to the "K", bringing the "K" up to 20 teams, and then divide the remaining 24 VHL teams into Division 1 and Division 2. The "K" would have it's playoffs every year to determine the Gagarin Cup champs, with the number of teams and format TBD. The teams that don't make the playoffs would play a season ending tournament to determine who gets demoted to Division 1. Division 1 and 2 would also have promotion and demotion.

This would have the advantage of eliminating foreign travel, and with the possibility of going to the higher division, maybe seeing some new arenas being built or at least old ones refurbished. I get that there are issues with sponsorships, especially with TV revenue, and like I say I don't expect this will happen, but thought it was a decently cool idea.

Commence mocking and ridiculing ;)

Reactions: Jaska

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
First of all, this is not going to happen in a way you described.

Yes, there are travel restrictions between countries now. But, the KHL has agreed on terms with all participating national governing bodies. Without such an agreement, Jokerit/Riga/Minsk would not play at home. So yes, it has made a lot of problems for the league, but the league has handled it well. We will see how will the UEFA competitions, Basket Euroleague or the Champions Hockey League work.

Why your scenario is not going to happen? Because both leagues are run by totally different "structures." The KHL is defined as "the international league with HQ in Russia" by law.

As I know, one future possible model for the KHL is as follows. The KHL considers dividing the league into regional groups - Europe/Russia/Far East & Asia. Clubs from different groups would not meet in the regular season, or just once. The playoff is TBD. But this model depends on expansion. You need more clubs in Europe & Asia to do so.

Last edited:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
As I said, I know it's not going to happen, it was just something that popped into my head.

I do think that the KHL is not going to survive in it's current format though. My personal preference would be to see them become a strictly Russian league with some form of promotion/demotion.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
As I said, I know it's not going to happen, it was just something that popped into my head.

I do think that the KHL is not going to survive in it's current format though. My personal preference would be to see them become a strictly Russian league with some form of promotion/demotion.
I would like to see some serious argument/proof for the bold part. But I accept it is your opinion.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I would like to see some serious argument/proof for the bold part. But I accept it is your opinion.

Believe me, I hope I am dead wrong about this. I love the KHL, and hope it begins to expand again. Maybe not to the size it was, but I think a 26 or 28 team league would be awesome. I'd love to see teams in Japan and South Korea, and Western Europe and more in Scandanavia. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, and I'm not one of the KHL haters that populates the KHL portion of this website. But sometimes you have to be realistic, and start thinking what are the viable options.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Believe me, I hope I am dead wrong about this. I love the KHL, and hope it begins to expand again. Maybe not to the size it was, but I think a 26 or 28 team league would be awesome. I'd love to see teams in Japan and South Korea, and Western Europe and more in Scandanavia. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, and I'm not one of the KHL haters that populates the KHL portion of this website. But sometimes you have to be realistic, and start thinking what are the viable options.
I know and I accept your position.

The KHL has survived more serious era/problems (Russian sanctions) than coronavirus. I am sure the people behind the KHL will not give up now. They have a vision and they are taking steps towards it. Not as fast as someone would like to see though.

I can see two axioms which we can apply to the KHL as well.

1. Russians have time & resources
2. Russians are able to get stronger under the pressure.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Like I say, I hope you are right, and I hope I am wrong. And as I say over and over, the coronavirus isn't the issue, it's the insane reaction of governments to it that's the problem.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Like I say, I hope you are right, and I hope I am wrong. And as I say over and over, the coronavirus isn't the issue, it's the insane reaction of governments to it that's the problem.

Whaaaat? Governments job is to protect their people. Some governments handle it well, like Denmark, Finland and Norway. Some don't, like Sweden, USA and Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad