Random thoughts so far...

DoubleDouble*

I am seriously wondering what exactly people are expecting from Nazem Kadri. He didn't create his own goal? He's not Iyla Kovalchuk or Pavel Datsyuk...He's still a kid and he will never be one of those guys.

He has looked fine to me. Not great, but not bad either, and he is producing offence which is all I really can ask from him right now.

MajorityRules*

I find Kadri is almost always noticeable on the ice. When he's playing very well you can't help but notice him a lot. When he's playing poorly, you still can't help but notice him. Lately I've noticed him more for his poor play but I have faith he'll rebound quickly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Random Thoughts

With the additions of Bolland, Bernier and Mason Leafs are 3-0

Without the additions of Bolland, Bernier & Mason Leafs likely 0-3

Therefore additions = priceless. Leafs season could be very different without them.

Looking forward to Clarkson adding that next dimension.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Kadri seems to have had a couple giveaways on his zone entries. He's getting knocked off the puck a lot this season so the coach should probably press him to just get it deep more often than not. As for the defensive zone giveaways, he's one of many players messing up there. Kessel did it the other night in a similar fashion with the puck bouncing off the opponents skate.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
We have to cut down on the turnovers. There was some really pee-wee turnovers last game.

Once we can tighten up there, and hopefully that happens soon, we should look better. Hopefully we can still score once we figure out how to break out of our zone without giving the puck about a million times.

As Gardiner and Rielly mature, this will happen far less.... I noticed on Saturday the most turnovers in our zone were by Ranger, 2nd most probably Franson... Hope they rebound and start playing better.

Also, I thought Gunnarson wasn't that great, idk if it was just because of his type of hockey (the "if you don't notice me, I'm playing good" type) or if he was actually playing bad, but he seemed pretty slow and out of the play when I did notice him...

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Offense and goaltending is fine. Defensively however, we're pretty terrible. I'm not sure we deserve to be 3-0, but I'll take it

Not sure how you can say that.

I believe in the old saying "you get what you have earned" , i see 3 Ws.:handclap:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Of course, three games are three games, so this is all within that context.

David Bolland is a much better player than I imagined. Scrappy guy who keeps on an even keel, doesn't get too emotionally invested in the moment. Much unlike Grabo, the guy he is essentially replacing. Grabo has skills, and he gave 110% on many nights, but the fact that he cut off communication with Carlyle last season reflects on his character. Bolland seems better suited for the third (and at times second) line centre role, because when he won't let up because of a lack of ice time. He'll continue to earn it and lead by example.

Which brings me to Nazem Kadri, who is losing some of that ice time. The way he plays at times is not reflective of a guy on a team vying for a championship. I'm not saying that's where the Leafs are at, but that's how Carlyle evaluates his team. Sure, Nazem scored a ton of points last year, and broke out as far as offensive output goes. But last night vs Ottawa he looked a lot like the Kadri prior to last season. Lazy blind passes to try and escape your defensive zone will get you into the coach's dog house in a hurry, especially if he has other options. I'm hoping he just needs to get his legs going and it's just some early rust. Time will tell, but so far it's a bit disappointing to see him dogging it a bit.

The same can't be said about Mason Raymond. He's buying into Carlyles system and giving it his all each night. In hindsight, so far, what a nice pickup by Nonis (get well soon big man), for virtually nothing. I'm not sure how the Canucks gave up on him so fast, and that nobody else snatched him up. To me, it's like he replaced Matt Frattin almost perfectly.

And speaking of offseason pickups off to good starts, the man of the hour, Jonathan Bernier, has been everything he's been billed up to be so far. I was skeptical at first, as I'm a big believer that goalies can easily be overhyped because of the team they play for, and can rust away with little playing time. Bernier was a high draft pick, which is always a gamble with goalies, and I thought the pedigree he carried with that inflated his value. After watching him now for these first few games (last night was what it was, he looked good, much like he did vs Philly), I can see the reason the Kings took him so early. The Bernier-Reimer combination is a wonderful thing for a Leafs team that often gets into hi tempo back-and-forth games, with high speed forwards and pinch-happy defenceman. Great move, Nonis.

JVR looks like he has a bit of an extra step this season, I think he should get 30. Ranger looks a bit off pace, and gets caught making poor decisions. We really miss Fraser there. Hopefully he gets back soon. Reilly looked fine to me, after a nervous start. Kid has wheels and sees the ice well. I think he'll do just fine if they decide to keep him with the big club. I hope they don't trade Gardiner, I think he's just beginning to scrape the surface with his tremendous skating and hockey sense. Can't wait to see Clarkson and see what he brings to the mix. Overpaid, but definitely a guy with some unique skills that can go a long way in a playoff type of setting. Gunnarson looks a lot better this season, as does Dion. Sure, he might not fit as a captain, and he does seem a bit full of himself which I think is why he gets voted as the most overrated player by the players, but he still brings a lot to the table with his strength, shot, and offensive mindset.

Overall, great start, but they need to tighten up a bit defensively (especially the core guys like Kadri) to be a team that earns home ice for the post season. I think we'll see Bernier and Reimer bail these guys out often, but that can only work for so long. They're getting there, but there's still work to do. I think the Bruins will regress (old team), and the Habs and Sens are a tad bit overrated (I'm just not a fan of either teams' offensive depth). The Red Wings will fair well in the East and will compete for one of the top three spots. The Flyers are toast. The Lightning are better. The Penguins might struggle a bit, but overall they'll be alright. Perhaps the Rangers get hot, but I wouldn't count on it under Vigneault. I can see the Leafs getting into the top three, if they play their cards right, and more importantly, if they stay healthy.

GLG.

It is only 3 games into the season and a bit early to really assess the team, (IMO) some things you have on the money, like the newcomers Bolland, Bernier and Raymond, also add Clarkson, he had a very good final preseason game and when he comes back, should be a real spark plug, kudos to Nonis.

Kadri is a bit of an enigma, he is one our most talented players but has trouble fitting in and has so, in his whole career with the team, he has been on and off the team at times and now he's centering the 3rd line and then there was last year, when he was a dynamo, scoring great and timely goals, maybe he needs time, to become a complete player, only time will tell.

The defence is our weak area, at least over the past 3 games but I think and again IMO, we will get better, Ranger I believe is trying too hard and trying to impress the coaches, he needs to just play his game, Rielly will be a very good player on defence in the near future, Franson needs Fraser, they are well paired and play well together, Gardiner too is a good defenceman and like Rielly, needs time to learn and I hope we give him the time, to get there.

Phanuef and Gunnarsson are without doubt, our best defencemen and where would we be if they weren't there, Phanuef plays big minutes, game in and game out, against the other teams best players and if you go down to the ACC, isolate on him without the puck, he is in position and making life miserable for opposing players, he is a leader in every sense of the word and we have some pretty good players on our team, Lupul could be a "C" too and if Phanuef went down he could do the job until Phanuef came back.

We have a pretty good team going forward and our prospect pool, is getting very good, the Marlies, are filled with those prospects and once they learn the ropes, we should just continue to get better.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Random Thoughts

With the additions of Bolland, Bernier and Mason Leafs are 3-0

Without the additions of Bolland, Bernier & Mason Leafs likely 0-3

Therefore additions = priceless. Leafs season could be very different without them.

Looking forward to Clarkson adding that next dimension.

While I am a firm believer in the "play the kids" credo, nothing like having a few well chosen veterans to calm things down. That was what was missing last year. Congrats to Nonis for picking well. Let's hope Clarkson is as good an addition as Bolland and Raymond seem to be. If Bernier continues like this, then that could well go down as one of TML's greatest trades - A rock star goaltender for Frattin, Scrivy and some cash? Anytime.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
As Gardiner and Rielly mature, this will happen far less.... I noticed on Saturday the most turnovers in our zone were by Ranger, 2nd most probably Franson... Hope they rebound and start playing better.

Also, I thought Gunnarson wasn't that great, idk if it was just because of his type of hockey (the "if you don't notice me, I'm playing good" type) or if he was actually playing bad, but he seemed pretty slow and out of the play when I did notice him...

I wonder how his hip is this year, if it's still affecting him very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad