Random, possibly dumb question regard ELCs

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
How often do guys get released from them? I'm trying to remember if it's happened with any Bruins players lately, and I can't think of any. Is there a substantial penalty for doing so?

member 96824

Released like terminate the contract?

Doesn't happen all that much if at all. I can't recall any off the top of my head. Typically if you're looking to release a player from an ELC, it's because they aren't good enough. If they aren't good enough, they haven't played enough games to qualify for waivers and therefore can be just buried in the AHL/ECHL until the ELC is up.

No penalty for terminating a contract, player passes through unconditional waivers. Hasn't happened much but a few examples are Ryan Malone/NYR, Brunner/Devils, Sykora/Wild, Hovinen/Flyers

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
But you can only have 50 right? There must be some kind of punishment or teams would always be trying to sign NCAA and European guys and cutting the dead weight more often in the minors no?!?

member 96824

But you can only have 50 right? There must be some kind of punishment or teams would always be trying to sign NCAA and European guys and cutting the dead weight more often in the minors no?!?

Why would you though?

Most teams set themselves up for flexibility anyways in regards to the contract limit but yes, you can only have 50. However, Keep in mind that the registration of when those contracts become active is also important. It's not until the players have fulfilled their NCAA or Euro contracts/obligations For example, the Bruins have signed 9 free agents in Cave, Kemppainen, Hickman, Hargrove, Blidh, Acciari, Arnesson, Czarnik, Vatrano while being right toward the limit. This is because of the players that are coming off the books offset that, so while it appears they'd be over 50 they aren't actually. Same with Chicago, who's added a few free agents and is currently in the process of pitching another.

There's no real purpose to terminating an ELC because typically you wouldn't want to do that until at least year 3 anyways and that's when it comes off the books. I suppose in theory I see nothing in the CBA that suggests you can't or would be penalized for doing so, but I don't know practically why you would.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Say you could legit recruit the top 10 prospects/Europeans in back to back years why wouldn't you? There is a reason Duke Kentucky Uconn recycle one and done NBA prospects year in and year out. They are the best players...

So how wouldn't it make sense for a team to continuously pursue all of these guys if there is nothing against cutting someone else?!? I know it's not that cut and dry and as a recruit you go places that will give you the most ice time or opportunity but there has to be something in there or some teams would/could be doing that?

member 96824

Say you could legit recruit the top 10 prospects/Europeans in back to back years why wouldn't you? There is a reason Duke Kentucky Uconn recycle one and done NBA prospects year in and year out. They are the best players...

So how wouldn't it make sense for a team to continuously pursue all of these guys if there is nothing against cutting someone else?!? I know it's not that cut and dry and as a recruit you go places that will give you the most ice time or opportunity but there has to be something in there or some teams would/could be doing that?

I'm not sure I follow the comparison there. Unlike Duke, Kentucky, Uconn, among others most of the top euro and NHL players rights are already owned through the draft where as those universities are recruiting against each other for the top talent.

Most of the NCAA/European talent that you can sign has already been passed on 6-7 teams in 2-3 drafts. That's not to say they're bad or anything along those lines, they're not. Look at Tyler Johnson and Torey Krug for examples of undrafted FA signings that have had big impacts, but for every one of them there are 10 career AHL/ECHL players that never make an impact on an NHL roster. Some years you get a NCAA player who's rights have expired and becomes a free agent(Blake Wheeler, Justin Schultz, Kevin Hayes Mike Reilly), but those situations are highly competitive and also take place during the offseason where there is contract flexibility and you've in theory let whomever you were looking to terminate walk anyways.

and like I pointed out, when those guys are able to sign, you've already got ELC's and other contracts coming off the books. That's where the rotation comes in. Tommy Cross probably doesn't get re-signed by the Bruins, his contract expires as NCAA free agent signing Noel Acciari's starts.

Can you clarify your concern a little more? The Bruins have been signing euro and NCAA free agents in the last few weeks with no issues

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Let's not mix up NCAA basketball and professional hockey. First, one has no contracts and with the Bruins' AHL squad they might have a bunch of contracts not being renewed. Their NHL squad is minus Paille, Campbell and looks like Soderberg is gone too.

I think no question is a dumb one. We assume at times that player movement is the same every where until one day when we decide to ask about it. :)

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I guess I was just trying to think of a situation where a guy could be so bad that after year one or two the team wants nothing to do with him and needs to clear out space to get all 50 guys under contract they want.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Poor Wacey. But he did play all 3 years of his ELC aside from getting sent to juniors during the first year. Amazingly he played in Milwaukee for a year after the Bruins didn't qualify him. Never went down to the E either.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad