Random/Obscure Cable TV on a Saturday Movies

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Excuse the convoluted title, but I was thinking about the random movies you used to see on TBS/USA on weekends and thought a thread for them would be fun.

Was remembering a movie I saw as a kid on TV about a US car factory in a competition with a Japanese company, and googled it. It's Gung Ho

Surprisingly a solid cast (Michael Keaton, George Wendt, John Turturro) directed by Ron Howard, and really a typical 80s fun comedy.

Another one that I remember many times and fell in love with because its just so perfectly over the top camp...Maximum Overdrive.

AC/DC + killer trucks + a coked out of his mind Stephen King directing = gold

Reactions: kook10

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I watched Gung Ho as a kid. It definitely relies on stereotypes for humour but it has a lot of warmth as well.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
"The Heavenly Kid" (1985) was a Saturday afternoon fixture. I didn't like the movie, but often watched when it aired.
A hip guardian angel named Bobby Fantana, who died in a car race in the 60s, reluctantly agrees to watch over a lonely 80s high schooler who needs guidance on how to become cool.
There's a scene near the end of the movie where the awkward kid receives a makeover courtesy of his guardian angel. He is transformed from misfit to a jeans and leather jacket clad stud. The high school girls who ignored him now find him attractive. I mention this scene because....

A classmate of mine went home from school on a Friday afternoon looking his normal self and returned Monday morning dressed in leather and with his hair slicked back in a sort of Christopher Reeve "Superman" coif (a drastic transformation that did not go over as planned). I knew exactly what was up. I later asked him about his new look and he confessed to watching "The Heavenly Kid" over the weekend and going for it.

I was introduced to "The Neverending Story" via a Saturday afternoon rerun. I had slightly aged out of being completely wowed by it, but it remains a favorite fantasy film of mine. I have a vivid memory of watching it for the first time.

There are some first-time viewing VHS rental memories that I fondly associate with Saturday afternoons. "The Outsiders" and "The Evil Dead" were the first two movies I watched on a VCR. My favorite memory is watching "The Breakfast Club". The movie is set on a Saturday afternoon, which made it seem cooler to me at the time.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I was describing these throw-away movies to a co-worker years ago. And he commented that they were perfect to just lay in bed (immobilized) and look at, after a long night of Friday night partying..
He referred to 'em as hangover movies.
He wasn't wrong..

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Stuff like Sharky's Machine & Bio-Dome are typical fare for these Saturday afternoon hangover movies..
Actually think I've seen several Pauly Shore joints on Saturday afternoons..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad