Random CBJ Memories

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
DSL talking about where his name came from in the interesting info thread got me thinking about other random, off ice / not really game play related, funny memories.

That and we're all bored and miss hockey. (Coincidently my adult league is starting up soon).

I'll start with a couple from years ago I was at a game with San Jose visiting. A couple guys in the next section were having fun heckling Nabokov. Eventually they settled on calling him Nabisco. At one point one guy yells hey Nabisco why don't you go back to your keebler elf friends. Then you hear his busy day dude wrong thing. Made me laugh that one drink would correct another.

Another fan relayed one, couple years ado Christmas game against Toronto. This leafs fan had the seat behind us and she was screaming as loud as she could. She was so loud some other Leafs fans told her to stop. Her response was I've got to make up for us (leaf fans) not filling the arena. So glad when she moved.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Back in the early years of the team when they used to have autograph sessions with players at the blue line I was there for a Jody Shelley signing. I I was near the end of the line and he walks up to stand in the back of the line and asked what everyone was waiting for. I thought it was pretty funny. Pretty telling of his personality.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I live in Chicago and was at the CBJ at Chicago game in October 2017. This was the second game of the season for each of us; we had shut out NYI the night before, and Chicago had beaten back-to-back Stanley Cup champion Penguins a whopping 10-1 two nights earlier in their first game of the year. Chicago of course had the Cups in 2010, 2013 and 2015 and had won the division the year before. That ended up being the season the Hawks started their downslide, but it wasn't known/expected to happen at that time. We also didn't have the 3 years in a row of making the playoffs/TBL sweep. We had a really good season the previous year with the winning streak and whatnot, but still lost in 5 games in the first round to the Pens. Important to keep all that in mind for this context. This story wouldn't really be as good/work as well if it happened this season.

Bob had a relatively easy shutout the night before (only like 15 saves), and so we were hoping to see him since it was early in the year (not too fatigued) and he hadn't worked that hard, but Torts went with Korpi. We ended up losing something like 4-1. As I was walking down the stairs in my section after the game, I saw another CBJ fan. I said something like, "tough game." He replied (loudly/proudly, trying to get others to hear him, not just me), "It's okay. We started Korpisalo, that's how little we respect Chicago." :laugh: Certainly made me chuckle.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was at a CBJ-Habs game in Nationwide some years ago. There was a family sitting next to me from Indianapolis, the dad was a lifelong Habs fan so he brought the wife and two kids for a weekend in Cbus. He and a CBJ fan in the row in front of us (which happened to be row B in the upper deck, this becomes important later) were exchanging what I thought were friendly barbs. I think the Jackets went up midway through the third, and the guy in row B turned around to give a little crap. The Indy guy shoves him and he loses his balance and tumbles down into row A. Then there's shouting and whatnot, myself included. The wife turned sheet-white, and couldn't get her kids away from there fast enough. Needless to say, security soon arrived and removed the Indy dude as well.

In the end, just a ridiculous display but when I was watching the guy in front of us tumble backwards, it was like slow motion, and I was hoping he didn’t go over the ledge of the upper deck.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I've mentioned it before but during the Nashville-CBJ season ending game after the lockout in 2013 the Jackets were SWARMING the Preds but couldn't score on Chris Mason, we had over 50 shots at the end of the game IIRC. We needed to win to stay alive in the playoff race. CBJ game ops played "Inches" Al Pacino commentary over CBJ clips, and the crowd went absolutely NUTS. The most hyped up I've ever heard a CBJ crowd for something that wasn't game related (like a goal).

Shortly thereafter the Jackets tied the game, took the lead, and won. I seriously think that video had something to do with it. Cam Atkinson even recognized it I think, I'll try to find the clip.

Yep he did. 1:04

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

I've mentioned it before but during the Nashville-CBJ season ending game after the lockout in 2013 the Jackets were SWARMING the Preds but couldn't score on Chris Mason, we had over 50 shots at the end of the game IIRC. We needed to win to stay alive in the playoff race. CBJ game ops played "Inches" Al Pacino commentary over CBJ clips, and the crowd went absolutely NUTS. The most hyped up I've ever heard a CBJ crowd for something that wasn't game related (like a goal).

Shortly thereafter the Jackets tied the game, took the lead, and won. I seriously think that video had something to do with it. Cam Atkinson even recognized it I think, I'll try to find the clip.

I was at that game. I remember going into the third being nervous but still thinking we could pull it out. That series of saves by Bob in the first was huge, kept us in it. Then they played that video, the crowd went nuts and I just knew we’d win.

Then we all stayed to watch the Minnesota game in the Jumbotron, Minny won, and we went home sad lol.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I cannot see that final Atkinson empty netter without remembering George Matthews' call of same. Last Jackets game he called as a full-time employee (he made a few guest appearances the year after). @Skraut wisely put it in a tribute video towards the end:

He's still my bae. Seven years and I'm still not over it.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Jackets Bob

Sep 28, 2017
Lewis Center, OH
I was at that game. I remember going into the third being nervous but still thinking we could pull it out. That series of saves by Bob in the first was huge, kept us in it. Then they played that video, the crowd went nuts and I just knew we’d win.

Then we all stayed to watch the Minnesota game in the Jumbotron, Minny won, and we went home sad lol.
I was at the game as well and sat right behind the net. I can remember the crowd yelling: "Mason, you SUCK!". Wrong Mason but old habits are hard to break.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Here are some truly random memories:

1. When I was a kid, my dad had season tickets in section 115 - there was a guy behind us (who must have also had season tickets) we all referred to as "the screamer" because he'd scream himself hoarse every single game. We discovered some years later that this guy owned the company that did all the shredding for my dad's business. Small world.

2. Also when I was a kid, we had coordinated another family going to the game with our family, and they sat in the row in front of us. I have a remarkably distinct memory of the little girl in the other family picking her nose, her nose beginning to bleed, and then she continued to plunge her hands deep into the shared popcorn bucket. Our group declined any additional popcorn. It's possible this was a Columbus Chill game.

3. I have, in fact, used my ticket to get free chili at a Wendy's.

Reactions: Viqsi and cslebn

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Here are some truly random memories:

3. I have, in fact, used my ticket to get free chili at a Wendy's.

Has anyone ever actually gotten chili at Rooster's? That is the question.

Another one of my personal favorite involves when the Sabres were actually good. They always had the most obnoxious traveling fans at that time and there were a couple of loudmouths in front of us at a game talking smack the whole game. I don't recall what year it was. Buffalo led most of the game and the CBJ came back late to tie and eventually win late or in OT. As these 2 Buffalo fans left steaming there was a small child (probably under 10) sitting near us taunting them. It just sounded like the Nelson kid from the Simpsons laughing at them as they left to go cry in pillows that night. That might be one of the funniest things I remember from a game.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I have sold 50/50 raffle tickets many times for youth hockey organizations. A few times I have had a wasted guy pull out a hundred dollar bill and buy $100 worth of tickets. I am always surprised when that happens.

I have also learned Toronto fans love to buy 50/50 raffle tickets. They are amazed that everything is so cheap at Nationwide and will think nothing of buying a bunch of raffle tickets.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I remember going to the first ever exhibition game against the Wings and wrongly thinking that all of the beer bottles that were thrown on the ice after a fight were glass vs. plastic.

I also got to ride the Zamboni between the 2nd and 3rd periods at the New Years Eve game against the Devils during the inaugural season. I had friends to wave to and converse with on all four sides of the rink that night. Fun times :D

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I have three favorite memories from my many years of being a STH.

1. Every year my father and I go to the opener. He’s not the biggest hockey fan but knows that I am, and thus he comes with. Maybe a month in we’re playing Toronto and I’m excited as I’m bringing a first date to the game. Minutes before i leave to go get her, she cancels. My father decides to come along and make a night of it. Score is 1-1 going into the third and my father runs to the rest room. Unknown to me, purchases $5 on 50/50. By the time he comes back we’re down 4-1 and I’m in a shit mood. He asks if I want to leave early and head back to Cleveland and I grind my teeth and exit my seat. We’re exiting the parking garage when my father remembers the 50/50 and says “we should have stayed, i was feeling lucky...”. We drove roughly 20 minutes back to Cleveland when the text message came through that he had won. We pulled over at the next exit, found a bar and celebrated. We were so drunk we couldn’t drive home and had to settle for a hotel. The next morning we still couldn’t believe it! For those wondering the amount was 24k. After taxes it was 13 - after we split it, it was 6.5k each. It bumped me into a new tax bracket and i had to pay additional taxes. Nevertheless, it paid for our next year of season tickets!

2. The night is the infamous 10-0 win over the Habs. I’m driving up from Cleveland to meet a buddy of mine from college and go to the game. We’re at the ticket taker and they tell us we can’t be admitted as our tickets were already activated. I forgot that i had tickets listed for sale on the exchange and they sold roughly 10 minutes before I got to nationwide. I couldn’t bring myself to buy additional tickets so I watched the game from the bar. Every time cbj scored I drank a pity shot for myself.

3. Roughly five or six years ago - my buddy from cinci meets me at nationwide around 12 - we have lunch, explore the city, have a drink or two and decide to grab pizza from the R bar before heading into the game. Immediately following we both feel terrible. We get into the game, the puck drops and immediately i know I’m about to puke. I run up the stairs and into the nearest men’s room and pray to the porcelain. Minutes later a knock on the stall door “come out Sir...” i open the door to see an officer staring at me. He says it’s time to go so i apologize for falling ill, wash my hands, and we go for a walk...he takes me outside and gives me a breathalyzer, which I pass, easily. He says he needs to grab something and to stay where i was. And he leaves me.
At this point i realize my phone is still in the seat...my buddy has no idea what happened or where i am.

after 15 minutes i start knocking on the glass of the team shop and finally someone comes over to tell me that i need to enter the arena to go into the shop.

i explain the situation and they get a ticket taker and a different officer to meet me. I explain everything that happened and they allow me to reenter.

I get back to my seat only to find that it’s now the third period and my buddy is no longer there. Neither is my phone. The aisle ticket taker tells me “he wasn’t feeling well and left towards the end of the second.

i look everywhere for my friend and finally give up. I walk back to the parking garage and on my way find a puddle of vomit...i get to where we parked and he’s sleeping in his car.
LSS - Went to a game and missed all of it.

good times

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Another "early years, section 103 story".

Sitting behind the home bench, they're not the greatest seats for seeing the whole game, but there are definitely some cool perspectives, and some opportunity for fake imagined impact on the game:

Don't even remember who the game was against, but the CBJ has spent an inordinate amount of time hemmed in its own end (see why it's tough to differentiate?), and, during a particularly lengthy stretch, the opponent was on an endless cycle. Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre was defending someone up against the boards, held at bay while the opponent held the puck and looked for a play. Several times I had voiced my displeasure with the sequence, and then I just stood up and yelled "Knock. Him. Down!"

About two seconds later, JLGP knocked the opposing player down, the puck sprang loose, a Jacket picked it up and carried it into the other zone leading to a scoring chance.

All to the amusement of those seated nearby, who offered "You should coach, I guess" in sarcastic tones.

I told this story to JLGP earlier this year. He seemed amused and said "I'm glad I could be in a memory for you" or something.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
1) The near mega comeback vs. the Penguins in Game 6 of the 2014 series.

I'd never been to a CBJ playoff game before. The game was a disaster as the Pens went up 4-0 going into the 3rd. Wiz was the anti Wizard that night IIRC. :laugh: The Jackets scored 3 goals in the first 10 minutes or so of the 3rd. The noise level was deafening for real as the CBJ looked poised for the improbable comeback. I generally go to weeknight games and sit isolated in the upper bowl when possible. It was definitely a unique crowd experience from a noise level relative to my normal CBJ experience.

2) Derek Dorsett, Derek MacKenzie and Jared Boll from 2011-12.

This was the first year that I really started following the team. They were abysmal that season. While Nash's talent was obvious, it appeared that he'd checked out that year. The Jeff Carter cancer sickened the team as well. It was the aforementioned collection of 3rd and 4th liners which made the team enjoyable. The grit and energy of these three made the almost certain losses enjoyable. I miss what guys like this brought to the game then. The lack of physicality of the current game is simply not as enjoyable as it was when guys like these three patrolled the ice for the CBJ.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
1) The near mega comeback vs. the Penguins in Game 6 of the 2014 series.

I'd never been to a CBJ playoff game before. The game was a disaster as the Pens went up 4-0 going into the 3rd. Wiz was the anti Wizard that night IIRC. :laugh: The Jackets scored 3 goals in the first 10 minutes or so of the 3rd. The noise level was deafening for real as the CBJ looked poised for the improbable comeback. I generally go to weeknight games and sit isolated in the upper bowl when possible. It was definitely a unique crowd experience from a noise level relative to my normal CBJ experience.

If Matt Calvert puts away this semi-breakaway I think we win that game.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad