Signing(s): Rams sign Todd Gurley to massive extension

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

They keep handing out big deals yet their best player still has not been extended.

True. Donald should have been taken care of already but that’s likely a massive contract. Probably the biggest ever to be handed out to a defensive player.

Nice to see a team take care of their star RB. And not simply franchise him. Relatively short shelf life compared to other skilled positions.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Absolutely love this deal. It only pays for the years that aren't on his rookie contract, and we'll have more than enough cap space to take care of Donald, Goff, and - potentially if his head's on straight - Peters.

Reactions: David Suzuki

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gurley is 3 yrs younger and frankly IMO better RB who also is bigger threat to score then Bell

Bell was offered 33M guaranteed by Steelers and IMO it is more then fair and this deal is not good comparable given Gurley has less miles on him and is 3 years younger so naturally he would get more $$$
Gurley will turn 24 in August. So really 2 years difference now. Bell has 5 years in the nfl while Gurley has 3.

If this new deal for Gurley kicks in after his 5th year option then that is basically where bell is now in his career.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
On what planet is Gurley better than Bell? He's younger, but that's it.
Younger yes, but this deal appears to kick in after 2 more years. After Gurley completes years 4&5 in the Nfl. In essence it’s a deal that he would get if he were in bells position after 5 nfl seasons.

Gurley is simply getting more money now but has locked in with the rams down the line. Basically getting some signing bonus money now.

Not all $45 million is guaranteed. So, there are outs for the rams to get out from this deal if Gurley slows down.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Gurley is 3 yrs younger and frankly IMO better RB who also is bigger threat to score then Bell

Bell was offered 33M guaranteed by Steelers and IMO it is more then fair and this deal is not good comparable given Gurley has less miles on him and is 3 years younger so naturally he would get more $$$

Wrong. The Rams need Gurley more than the Steelers need Bell to succeed.

Bell was offered %10 million guaranteed.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Ram will be the most disappointing team of 2018. Im not in love with their D signings. Shields is injury prone. Talib is old and has a quirky personality. We know that Suh can be all over the place..

Think they have a harder schedule. They face some real QBs this year. Last year they got a fairly easy schedule.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

bell's age last year (when his extension could've kicked in for the first time): 25.

gurley's age when this contract kicks in: 25. or even 26 as that's how much he would be when the season starts.

i'm pretty heavily against investing heavily on RBs, including bell, but he's heck of a lot more deserving big money than gurley is. even with extra wear and tear.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Are they estimating that salary cap rises though? That deal kicks in after two seasons, but then it could be smaller % of the cap than it would be now for Bell.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Adrian Peterson might be the only RB of the past ten years to have truly lived up to his second contract. Maybe Gurley will be the second.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He still had two years left on his deal but I believe the bonus still gets paid at signing and most, if not all, the guaranteed money will likely be paid out in the next two years. So almost the entire extension could be non-guaranteed pay as you go years, which is pretty good for the Rams.

If we're just looking at current play then I'm easily taking Bell over Gurley. I'd also rather have David Johnson.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Bell can really catch the ball. If he wanted to extend his career and make more he should become a wide out. But you cant compare them either. Steelers have shown they dont need Bell to win. They are 10-4 without him. Without Gurley the Rams are probably in trouble since hes 36% of their offense. Bell i the better player but hes on a better team so therefore he actually has less value.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Adrian Peterson might be the only RB of the past ten years to have truly lived up to his second contract. Maybe Gurley will be the second.

shady. arguably forte too.

shady probably has better case than AP as AP had much higher cap hit, was 'only' pure runner and missed lot of time due to suspension and injury.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm glad to see the list growing. It's still such a tiny number that it makes the odds of any of these deals working out in the team's favor very slim.

It's a shame. I love watching a good running back do their thing. They get the worst deal of any position in sports because of the way the sport chews them up so quickly. As much as I shit on these contracts or on the idea of using a top five draft pick on a RB, I wish it wasn't the case because these guys deserve to get paid just as well as their counterparts who play less physical skill positions.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm glad to see the list growing. It's still such a tiny number that it makes the odds of any of these deals working out in the team's favor very slim.

It's a shame. I love watching a good running back do their thing. They get the worst deal of any position in sports because of the way the sport chews them up so quickly. As much as I **** on these contracts or on the idea of using a top five draft pick on a RB, I wish it wasn't the case because these guys deserve to get paid just as well as their counterparts who play less physical skill positions.
It’s the structure of the cba. You have guys on rookie deals for 4 years, 5 if they are first round picks if you exercise the option. Then you can franchise tag them for 2 years before it gets really expensive. Thus you eat up almost al of their productive years given the wear and tear of the position.

Until the cba changes to get RB to market sooner their pay will not reflect what they bring to a team.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

It's a shame. I love watching a good running back do their thing. They get the worst deal of any position in sports because of the way the sport chews them up so quickly. As much as I **** on these contracts or on the idea of using a top five draft pick on a RB, I wish it wasn't the case because these guys deserve to get paid just as well as their counterparts who play less physical skill positions.

Catcher in baseball. Your knees are shot by your mid 20s.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good for Gurley to get paid, dude almost singlehandedly won me my fantasy championship last year with his play; especially after Wentz went down.

Smart by Snead & McVay to get their core locked up before they have to pay Goff gazillions of dollars, now pay Donald and be done with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad