Ramo > Ortio?

Seattle Slewfoot

Mar 8, 2015
I saw Karri Ramo play against my local NHL team (Islanders) and was stunned by how good he was, though of course I expect this from Finnish goalies. Over the last two months, his save percentage has been at roughly .940, which needless to say is extraordinary. But the Flames also have Joni Ortio (.931 this year, though from only 5 games), and of course Jonas Hiller, who is not Finnish but does look oddly like Tuukka. :amazed:

I know Ramo is older and played a few seasons in Russia, but I'm still wondering how highly these two were/are regarded in Suomi.

Kiitos paljon in advance. :)

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I saw Karri Ramo play against my local NHL team (Islanders) and was stunned by how good he was, though of course I expect this from Finnish goalies. Over the last two months, his save percentage has been at roughly .940, which needless to say is extraordinary. But the Flames also have Joni Ortio (.931 this year, though from only 5 games), and of course Jonas Hiller, who is not Finnish but does look oddly like Tuukka. :amazed:

I know Ramo is older and played a few seasons in Russia, but I'm still wondering how highly these two were/are regarded in Suomi.

Kiitos paljon in advance. :)

Rämö was kind of a late bloomer. I don't watch Calgary's games, but those stats are definitely impressive. Ortio has been progressing very well, too. Rämö is probably better now, but Ortio IMO has more potential.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Rämö was kind of a late bloomer. I don't watch Calgary's games, but those stats are definitely impressive. Ortio has been progressing very well, too. Rämö is probably better now, but Ortio IMO has more potential.

I'm just really happy to have both haha.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Both are battlers. When Ortio was selected people saw Kipper comparisons and it raised excitement.... but it soon died down and he was a forgotten man playing overseas. When Calgary got Ramo from Montreal and Berra from St Louis, Ortio's agent wondered about their plans with him. I think Calgary wasn't expecting much TBH, but he was obviously allowed to come in and battle for a job. With Irving leaving, Joey Mac here and gone, and Brossoit traded, it was because of the potential they saw in both Ortio and Gilles. Drafting Mason McDonald is just adding to their list of improving goaltenders.

Ramo had a rough start last year, but the success of the Flames in the second half last year is connected with Ramo's improvements. Coming back over to NA he had to adjust his game. Trying to find the balance between being out and aggressive/in position was tough for him but he reads the play well, battles hard, and doesn't give up sloppy rebounds.

Most Flames fans had lost hope with him this year since Hartley chose to go with Hiller/Ortio from Christmas time and on as Ramo barely saw any action and most thought he would be traded. I'm very curious as to what they do with him at this point now. He has started the last number of games and has played incredible on the road. They want to give Ortio opportunities but with Karri playing so well.. it's hard not to offer him another contract.

The difference maker will be money I think though... When Feaster brought Ramo over, Ramo was an All Star in the KHL and making money. So even though Ramo hadn't played an NHL game in years.... they had to give him bucks to come. Most were shocked that he was making an average of 2.75 per year but they had to give him that to make it happen. Not sure what he would want next contract.. but he would have every KHL team vying for his services if he chose to go back.

Seattle Slewfoot

Mar 8, 2015
I wanted either one for the Isles (or Raanta, for that matter). But for some reason, Finland and Sweden seem to be off the team map. Odd.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
I wanted either one for the Isles (or Raanta, for that matter). But for some reason, Finland and Sweden seem to be off the team map. Odd.

Islanders drafted a Swedish Goaltender last year...so....

AND in 2009 they drafted 2 goalies.. one from Sweden and one from Finland.....

Seattle Slewfoot

Mar 8, 2015
They got rid of Nilsson and Koskinen, to say nothing of Joensuu and Pokka.

Ullstrom was promising, but Capuano didn't like him. Closest is Frans Nielsen, who's Danish, though I'm not sure Cappy knows where Denmark is.

Meanwhile, shame on you for not rooting for Holtby. Tommy Douglas spins in his grave...:D

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
In wider perspective, they've both always been rather solid beings, but in Finland, the standards for recognition are somewhat high. You'll essentially have to be an NHL starter before people at large concede your skills.

I guess this also answers the OP's question. Never bad, but never rising from the depths either. Until now, at least. Because said depth we have, oh yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad