Ralph "Big Mac" MacSweyn

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Ralph was a cousin of mine. I met him once when I was about 8 or so up at the Glengarry Games and visited his farm. He passed in 1995.

My Dad has mentioned a few stories, and Mike Robitaille recently mentioned a few momories of Rakph as well.

Just wondering if anyone has any memories of him that they could share.

He played for the Flyers from 1967-1972.

I have a newspaper clipping of him with a photo of him knocking Bobby Orr backwards. The story that I recall my Dad and others mentioning was a Flyers practice where they all put money in a helmet and took turns trying to knock Ralph down (He was a big barrell chested guy, with massive arms and hands from working the farm his whole life). Whoever knocked him down first got the money. When all was said and done they all took their money back. Nobody could knock him over.

Not a big name in the history of hockey, but as he was a relative I love hearing about him (despite that he was a Flyer).

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Not too many direct memories. I can tell you that he played in the WHA and after going scoreless in 78 regular season games with the Los Angeles Sharks he scored a playoff goal in the Sharks' last playoff game (they were eliminated by Houston). I'm pretty sure that was his first goal in either the NHL or WHA -- he added two with the Vancouver Blazers the following season after he was traded by LA to Vancouver.

With the Flyers, he was mainly a callup/injury replacement over a span of four or five years. He didn't play in the 1970-71 NHL regular season but played in all four PO games. Barry Ashbee suffered a late season injury and missed the 1971 PO series against Chicago as did another D regular in Wayne Hillman.

Lastly, I think he was the first captain in the history of the Richmond Robins of the AHL after the Quebec Aces relocated there in the early 70s.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Not too many direct memories. I can tell you that he played in the WHA and after going scoreless in 78 regular season games with the Los Angeles Sharks he scored a playoff goal in the Sharks' last playoff game (they were eliminated by Houston). I'm pretty sure that was his first goal in either the NHL or WHA -- he added two with the Vancouver Blazers the following season after he was traded by LA to Vancouver.

With the Flyers, he was mainly a callup/injury replacement over a span of four or five years. He didn't play in the 1970-71 NHL regular season but played in all four PO games. Barry Ashbee suffered a late season injury and missed the 1971 PO series against Chicago as did another D regular in Wayne Hillman.

Lastly, I think he was the first captain in the history of the Richmond Robins of the AHL after the Quebec Aces relocated there in the early 70s.

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, Ralph was certainly not a Hart contender. I believe he was primarily a big body on the blueline. I recall a few family accounts of Ralph's aversion to fighting, but given that he was big and strong, and capable of being an intimidating force, that is what his primarily role was for most teams. I believe he was actually quite good at it, he just didn't care for it much.

But, given his lack of offensive talent it was required for him to find a roster spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad