Value of: Rakell

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pagnotta just claimed the Penguins were listening on Rakell and he was getting some interest from other teams. This is unexpected because it seemed Guentzel was guaranteed to be traded and Rakell kept, but keeping Guentzel while trading Rakell seems like a much more ideal option. What kind of value would he have?

He has 23 points in 43 games this year after having 60 points in 82 games last year. Signed for 5 years at $5 million a year with an 8 team NTC. I think it's pretty well established for what he is, a ~50 point per season 2nd liner that can finish anywhere from like 40-60 points in a given year, and he's paid pretty much the same that any team would paying a similar UFA.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I wonder if there’s a player for player trade to be made for him… someone who maybe plays a more physical style or a hustle type player… not sure If there’s anyone on a similar contract with a lot of years left where it’s not working out for that team as well.

Reactions: Wattsburgh

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I wonder if there’s a player for player trade to be made for him… someone who maybe plays a more physical style or a hustle type player… not sure If there’s anyone on a similar contract with a lot of years left where it’s not working out for that team as well.

I assume Pens would have to take a player with at least some term back, 5 years is a long time even if the caphit isn't terrible value for a 20 goal 50 point player.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I assume Pens would have to take a player with at least some term back, 5 years is a long time even if the caphit isn't terrible value for a 20 goal 50 point player.
Yeah something like that not looking at any other teams rosters at the moment so don’t have any particular players in mind but this feels like a classic change of scenery kind of trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This is the type of player I wish the Oilers had cap space for. Having a down year, so the asking price probably isn't through the roof, but we don't have the room to add him, especially if Holland wants to fill other holes too, even though he would be a good fit in the top 6.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think any Rakell deal would likely include a multi-year contract going back. Ideally, you'd get a good 3rd liner making 3rd line money to open up a bit more money to re-sign Guentzel.

Something like Rakell to Nashville for Sissons and a pick or something like that. Saves about $2 million a year and helps out their bottom-6.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
With the cap going up, $5mil isn't out of line to be paying a solid 2nd line LW/RW for the next couple of years. There aren't many, if ANY, top 6 wings available in FA this off-season that would be better options for less.

I could see three scenarios (but really, just logical):
1. Rakell to a team for a 2nd round pick. Clean and easy. Penguins use the cap space on Guentzel.
2. Rakell to a team for a younger bottom 6 player and a later pick.
3. Rakell to a team in a player-for-player hockey trade. Something with similar contracts.

I can see him being an attractive piece to some teams but I would have to know who those teams are before making a judgement on what a potential return could be.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think any Rakell deal would likely include a multi-year contract going back. Ideally, you'd get a good 3rd liner making 3rd line money to open up a bit more money to re-sign Guentzel.

Something like Rakell to Nashville for Sissons and a pick or something like that. Saves about $2 million a year and helps out their bottom-6.
Yeah, that's the most likely scenario. I could see Dubas pushing a team for a mid-20's bottom 6 RW that can't quite crack the top 6 and then wanting to upgrade to Rakell.

One team I could see wanting Rakell is Seattle to replace Eberle. I could see something like Tatar+SEA 3rd as a decent deal for both sides. Penguins can stick Tatar on the 3rd line or even send him out at the TDL for a late pick if someone is looking for depth. Part of the return in this situation is the cap space for the Penguins.

Reactions: brewski420

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Trenin?

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I could see someone like Detroit being interested. Not sure how the cap would work though. Keep in mind he's above his season ppg avg since coming back from injury and had 60 points last year.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
The narrative that they need to cup cap space to resign Jake is totally false, even if they keep the roster exactly what it is today and just let Carter eff off at the end of his contract.

Jake makes 6. Carter makes 3.125 the cap is going up somewhere between 4 and 5 mil this off-season.

The only UFAs other than Jake and Carter are Ned, Ruhwhedel, and Harkins, and Ned is the only one who should come back.

Rfas of note are POJ, puusy, and bemstrom.

If anything raks is probably the one guy I'd hang onto right now. The pens can't and shouldn't trade everyone this deadline. Smith yes, Jake Ive accepted is probably going to move, Rust I'd send out for a younger NHL forward with potential, since rust is a little older but is still putting up his normal.levelmof production.

But Rakell value is at an all time low. His contract is too long to get top value with his first half of the season be held against him. He's young enough that he will continue to be productive for most of his contract, and, in a year or two when the cap is hitting 90+ mil his five mil with three years left will be a steal.

That's when you trade him, him and karlsson.

Reactions: Sideline

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Yeah, that's the most likely scenario. I could see Dubas pushing a team for a mid-20's bottom 6 RW that can't quite crack the top 6 and then wanting to upgrade to Rakell.

One team I could see wanting Rakell is Seattle to replace Eberle. I could see something like Tatar+SEA 3rd as a decent deal for both sides. Penguins can stick Tatar on the 3rd line or even send him out at the TDL for a late pick if someone is looking for depth. Part of the return in this situation is the cap space for the Penguins.
I could see Seattle as well as long as Eberle doesn't get signed. I think Rakell would fit with Seattle and Tater would not be missed there. Looks like a good deal to me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
IF you focused on his first 17 games, his season doesn't look good, if you focus on his production after he was back from injury, essentially his last 26 games, he's producing at the same rate as last season. He had a rough start but he's been back to normal.

If the Pens are moving on from Rakell, they aren't leaving much in the top 6.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

"Some of the names making the rounds, we know Reilly Smith, but also Rickard Rakell as I mentioned last week".

The more interesting thing from that video is the Pens taking calls on Marcus Pettersson. Top 4 dman that can play hard minutes and is locked up for another season after this one at a very good price, could get the Pens a haul if he really is available.

Reactions: Sideline

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Agreed. Like James Neal for Hornqvist.

"Some of the names making the rounds, we know Reilly Smith, but also Rickard Rakell as I mentioned last week".

Why would the Penguins trade Pettersson lol? To continue the trend of yearly Defensive musical chairs so Sullivan can say it’s not his fault?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With the cap going up, $5mil isn't out of line to be paying a solid 2nd line LW/RW for the next couple of years. There aren't many, if ANY, top 6 wings available in FA this off-season that would be better options for less.
He has 4 mire full yrs of term. Most teams have a couple of middle 6 winger prospects he would block.
I could see three scenarios (but really, just logical):
1. Rakell to a team for a 2nd round pick. Clean and easy. Penguins use the cap space on Guentzel.
Who would take him? Chicago? Thst $5M is an issue for s player on the downside o of career
2. Rakell to a team for a younger bottom 6 player and a later pick.
Younger is cost controlled likely and probably better ROI given their salary
3. Rakell to a team in a player-for-player hockey trade. Something with similar contracts.
That is your best play. Part of a larger deal of 2 or bigger deal where term is close with 3-5 yrs left but different roles
I can see him being an attractive piece to some teams but I would have to know who those teams are before making a judgement on what a potential return could be.
Chicago cou ln for in need of a higher cap hit. Another team that cany sign their UFA to be who is asking for $7M+ could be replaced by him.

A team like AZ with a ton of picks could br an option.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If I could call the shots, I'd be trying to do something like Rakell to Nashville for Sissons and an insignificant pick/prospect. The two are the same age and have a decent amount of term left, this is more of a swap for a "fairly paid 2RW for a fairly paid 3C". Rakell offers the obvious higher upside, which is why I think the Penguins would get a minor pick as well, but Sissons is a good 3C as well.

This kind of move would beef up the Penguins 3rd line and open up about $2 million in cap space, which can be reallocated towards Guentzel to pay him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If I could call the shots, I'd be trying to do something like Rakell to Nashville for Sissons and an insignificant pick/prospect. The two are the same age and have a decent amount of term left, this is more of a swap for a "fairly paid 2RW for a fairly paid 3C". Rakell offers the obvious higher upside, which is why I think the Penguins would get a minor pick as well, but Sissons is a good 3C as well.

This kind of move would beef up the Penguins 3rd line and open up about $2 million in cap space, which can be reallocated towards Guentzel to pay him.
That would push Eller to 4C and Acciari to 4W which would be nice but what does Sissons really do for us that makes it worth losing Rakell? I mean, yeah we can resign Guentzel, but we can do that anyway without letting Rakell go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad