Raising the Height of the Glass

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
This has been on my mind for some time now. Can somebody give me reasons as to why raising the height of the glass is never discussed? When I think about it, there seem to be a few benefits: it cuts down on whistles, it makes delay of game penalties less prevalent, and it can also block more pucks from potentially hitting fans who aren't paying attention.

Is there a safety concern that I'm missing? To me, this seems like a change that can yield some positive outcomes, even if it isn't exactly a pressing issue.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I thought this once but eventually I realized that making the glass the same height around the whole rink would favor the defence by making "off the glass and out" easier. Delay of game penalties might go down but players would start aiming higher and miss the glass as they do right now.

Reactions: Edelweiss

KinCornKarn

Oct 2, 2003
It does not seem like a bad idea. I'm not a physics guy but would making the glass higher cause it to be less stable?

Reactions: Hyack57

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I get that if you raise it too much, then players will likely use that to their favor in clearing the puck. But I feel like even raising it 1-2 feet could make a difference without making it too ridiculous.

Reactions: Fixxer and Lays

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This has been on my mind for some time now. Can somebody give me reasons as to why raising the height of the glass is never discussed? When I think about it, there seem to be a few benefits: it cuts down on whistles, it makes delay of game penalties less prevalent, and it can also block more pucks from potentially hitting fans who aren't paying attention.

Is there a safety concern that I'm missing? To me, this seems like a change that can yield some positive outcomes, even if it isn't exactly a pressing issue.

Delay of game penalties happen now only once every 4 or 5 games, and even you said it's not "exactly a pressing issue."

So why not just leave it at that...

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I imagine visibility is a big reason. It's harder to see the game through glass if it's too far away.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's more expensive. Hockey is played at a lot of levels where you simply can't afford to replace massive glasses that often.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
They could raise the glass a feet or two, but why? As you said, it's not a pressing issue and it would just be another cost to teams with no real benefits in return.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
It does not seem like a bad idea. I'm not a physics guy but would making the glass higher cause it to be less stable?
My thoughts too.. You can only go so high with something before it has to flex too much. A big thunderous hit would more frequently shatter it or it would just be so heavy it would pop out and fall into the crowd.

Reactions: MightyGrecia

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I say take it a step further.

Put a dome of glass around the whole surface, like a table top hockey game.

Puck never goes out of play.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The glass has to stop at a certain point. Could be higher and still be practical? Sure, probably. But if there's significantly more glass, players will use it more and plays off the glass in all zones could become weirder. Hockey already has a lot of unpredictability/luck involved, I don't see the benefit in adding more factors like that.

Reactions: duxfan1101

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You're asking why hasn't something changed when the better question would be why change it?

As for cutting down on whistles, most choppy non-flowing games are caused by offsides and icings not pucks out of play.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Conversely...

O2hIN.jpg

All in favour say "Aye!"

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I have a better idea, let’s remove the netting behind the goalies and go back to the way it was
Pre-2000.

Why? So more fans sitting in those seats can get pelted with pucks flying out of the rink? It literally has 0 effect on the game. The netting's only impact is on fan safety.

Reactions: rumrokh

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Do you know if the boards would still be as strong if they were two feet taller?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I worked and have delivered the tempered glass that is used in arenas, strength of the glass wouldn't be an issue.

I just don't think hockey purists would want to see an increase towards a racquetball court to what we have today.

Reactions: MightyGrecia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad