News Article: Raise your cup to Glendening-Miller-Andersson

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It seriously feels like Helm and Glendening are the new Draper and Maltby, if only they played together.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
not sure what people not wanting Glendening around in the past has to do with anything

he's a youngish 4th liner that improved over the offseason,it happens

he was a borderline NHL player that the coach liked last year and now he's a solid 4th liner

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I'll admit it, I never liked Glendening. To his credit he has worked on his game and stepped on the gas with this grittiness. I don't like miller or Andersson and feel that one of Callahan or Ferraro could be replace them as Glendening is the one who makes this line go.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've always liked Glendening's game as well. And to see him so suddenly and effectively improve facets of his game (faceoffs, scoring chances), and anchor an effective shut-down line, is great.

Names have been removed because this isn't meant to be personal, but these are a couple of my favorite posts in recent months....

The criticism of his lack of offense is legit, but the overall valuation of him is so far off.

I have been big on Glendening for a while like you, liked the signing out of college. Now here is one for you Jaster, I told you this guy could be a legitimate pro center and not just a winger clear back to when he signed.:nod:

I actually wonder if they bumped Helm down if he would be a great winger still, not advocating it with the way he plays center these days, but he has a ton of versatility, even more than some of his bigger fans thought at the beginning, was amazed at U of M he didn't get the chance in the middle of this ice, he fits there so well. He is more physical on the wing though, still his defensive hockey IQ is incredible and the way he improves almost daily is exceptional.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I have been big on Glendening for a while like you, liked the signing out of college. Now here is one for you Jaster, I told you this guy could be a legitimate pro center and not just a winger clear back to when he signed.:nod:

You did. And you were right. Apparently, I put too much stock into the fact that he had never played center. It's rare you see a guy learn that position so late in his career. And has to be one in a million to not only switch to the position late, but then go on to shut down the Sidney Crosbys of the world.

I actually wonder if they bumped Helm down if he would be a great winger still, not advocating it with the way he plays center these days, but he has a ton of versatility, even more than some of his bigger fans thought at the beginning, was amazed at U of M he didn't get the chance in the middle of this ice, he fits there so well. He is more physical on the wing though, still his defensive hockey IQ is incredible and the way he improves almost daily is exceptional.

I'll tell ya what, I fully trust Red Berenson, and I'm positive he had good reasons, but given what Glendening is now, nailing down the centerman duties at the NHL level and being dominant on faceoffs.... it's somewhat baffling that Red didn't eventually have him play in the middle in Ann Arbor. I mean, there were always great centers on the team when Glendening was there, guys who definitely should have been in top-6 spots ahead of him (Hagelin, Rust, Treais), but it seems crazy he wasn't molded into the 3rd-line center by the time he graduated. *shrug*

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You did. And you were right. Apparently, I put too much stock into the fact that he had never played center. It's rare you see a guy learn that position so late in his career. And has to be one in a million to not only switch to the position late, but then go on to shut down the Sidney Crosbys of the world.

I'll tell ya what, I fully trust Red Berenson, and I'm positive he had good reasons, but given what Glendening is now, nailing down the centerman duties at the NHL level and being dominant on faceoffs.... it's somewhat baffling that Red didn't eventually have him play in the middle in Ann Arbor. I mean, there were always great centers on the team when Glendening was there, guys who definitely should have been in top-6 spots ahead of him (Hagelin, Rust, Treais), but it seems crazy he wasn't molded into the 3rd-line center by the time he graduated. *shrug*

I was kind of stunned he didn't but if I remember right their RW has a decent amount of defensive duties. Not nearly as confusing as at the same time ND sacrificing all of Sheahan's offensive abilities to concentrate solely on defense. Now they were the top two defensive forwards in the CCHA. But it was interesting in that I felt both guys were misused while being exceptional still in the role they were given, just thought they could have been given more. By the way this makes me happy in terms of Turgeon and Nasty. The Wings have ideas on players and it isn't necessarily in the roles they have been pigeon-holed into. Then again you have the ones like Smith (no PP), DeKeyser (on the PP) and Athanasiou at center that are fairly perplexing. I guess it cuts both ways, but I do think it speaks to our scouts ability to see guys outside of their current roles well and evaluate the totality of the player.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Andersson's role on offense is to remain a step behind due to his poor speed, then arrive late to blow the scoring chances his linemates provide him. He's replaceable.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Andersson's role on offense is to remain a step behind due to his poor speed, then arrive late to blow the scoring chances his linemates provide him. He's replaceable.

But he has better hands than Franzen! Just ask Juri Fischer.!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad