News Article: Raise your cup to Glendening-Miller-Andersson

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Raise your cup GMA-line

Coach Mike Babcock tinkered with his forward lines all night long, trying to coax some offense out of this team. But he left that line intact for the entire game. (Glendening-Miller-Andersson)

Its mission: throw a blanket over one of the better players on the planet. Keep Sidney Crosby off the board, and your chances of winning the hockey game rise exponentially.

Mission accomplished.

Crosby faced a steady diet of the Glendening line until the third period, when Babcock threw the Zetterberg line out against Crosby.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
This line has been phenomenal so far. We have one of the best fourth lines in the NHL.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
We do. And they're going to be extremely valuable in allowing for better matchups up and down the lineup, not to mention their work on the PK.

And the best part is that sg will remind us on every page of the GDTs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nice to have a real 4th line with an identity, and not a spare parts line.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This line has been great. I remember when guys were saying that Glendening was just a waste of a roster spot etc... Fact is he makes the team a lot better because you can put his line against other teams best players which then Dats and Z wont have to go up against. I have always like his game.

Aug 6, 2012
They are just dominant around the boards and on the forecheck. The great part is that they all have really contributed to its success. The three of them have really improved from last season, especially Andy and Glenny.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
This line has been great. I remember when guys were saying that Glendening was just a waste of a roster spot etc... Fact is he makes the team a lot better because you can put his line against other teams best players which then Dats and Z wont have to go up against. I have always like his game.

I remember when guys were saying he was a waste of a roster spot in Grand Rapids and taking PT from 'real' prospects.

The whole organization deserves some serious credit for his development. They scouted and found a great checker from the trash heap. Coaches and execs were drooling over him from the get go.

No other teams wanted this guy. Detroit saw his potential right away (signed initially to a minor league deal by GR) and upgraded his contract to an NHL entry level.
They also converted him to a centre. Another move that was best for his development. They then stood by him when he wasn't producing at times last year, despite the fact more 'blue chip' prospects (Ferraro and Callahan) were waiting in the wings.

Most players in Glendening's boots wouldn't have had the confidence from an organization to make it through to this point. But looking back, it's like the Red Wings knew all along. It really is amazing .

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I like what the line has been able to do this season. Especially Glendening and Miller. Andersson is the easily replaceable component IMO.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I like what the line has been able to do this season. Especially Glendening and Miller. Andersson is the easily replaceable component IMO.

I think the ideal situation would to switch out Joker for Abby. I think that line would actually be better. But as of right now, if it aint broke dont fix it so keeping this line intact is a must.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Outstanding work by our 4th line until now. Hope they keep that up. Great to see how Luke took Crosby out of the game the other night.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think the ideal situation would to switch out Joker for Abby. I think that line would actually be better. But as of right now, if it aint broke dont fix it so keeping this line intact is a must.

I was thinking Weiss for Andersson and leave Abdelkader with 13 and 40 (never thought I would ever say that). Weiss is a better skater than Andersson and has a better chance of chipping in offensively too. He can also PK.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was thinking Weiss for Andersson and leave Abdelkader with 13 and 40 (never thought I would ever say that). Weiss is a better skater than Andersson and has a better chance of chipping in offensively too. He can also PK.

Please no Weiss on the 4th line. Andersson is smart and very responsible defensively. Weiss looks absolutely lost with defensive assignments when on the ice.

4th line is playing great. Don't mess with it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Pretty nice when you can play an undrafted second year player against Crosby and trust him to keep him in check. Allows Z to play less defensively and have energy for big comebacks

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Miller has been the real unsung hero so far and he was great in the pre-season too. Glenda still has moments of erraticism that scare me, but Miller is almost always in the right place. Glenda brings something else to the table with his tenacity though.

The "meh" piece is Andy and I think he actually keeps that line from producing modestly. He's had a couple opportunities that he squandered because he simply couldn't win a foot race for a puck that one of Glenda/Miller poke checked ahead for him. He's improved a bit on the rush, but his first steps are absolutely brutal.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Nice to have a real 4th line with an identity, and not a spare parts line.

Excellent thread, and this is the central theme statement.

It's nice to read that other fans can also appreciate a well designed 4rth line and what they can bring to the club, rather than simply shrugging it off because they're not top 9, not scorers, not hot young prospects getting a cup of coffee.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I've always liked Glendening's game as well. And to see him so suddenly and effectively improve facets of his game (faceoffs, scoring chances), and anchor an effective shut-down line, is great.

Names have been removed because this isn't meant to be personal, but these are a couple of my favorite posts in recent months....

Luke Glendening is a nice player, but he's nothin special. Remember Matt Ellis? Same type of player and probably better than Luke. We got a better player in Drew Miller free off waivers. Glendening is definitely a guy you toss away rather than putting someone like Callahan on waivers. At least Mitch has a chance of providing some offense along with all the stuff Luke brings.

I don't view Glendening as the type of player you populate a roster with if you have Cup aspirations. At best his role on a legitimate contender would be as an AHL depth call-up. He is not someone you shove in your lineup for 70+ games and expect to win consistently. Unless he takes huge strides in his nonexistent offensive game he's nothing but a black hole to any line that hinders scoring. He's a subpar possession player who seems lost with the puck on his stick. I doubt the Wings will be making any deep playoff runs until he's off the roster. He's just a lesser skilled version of Matt Ellis from back in the day.

The criticism of his lack of offense is legit, but the overall valuation of him is so far off.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Please no Weiss on the 4th line. Andersson is smart and very responsible defensively. Weiss looks absolutely lost with defensive assignments when on the ice.

4th line is playing great. Don't mess with it.

This. I want Weiss nowhere near that 4th-line. If he can get slotted into a top-9 spot when there are injuries, fine. But I'm confident he would change the dynamic of that 4th line to the point of damaging their effectiveness.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Hear me out.

Glendening is the reason we haven't seen Cleary this year.

I thought Cleary was kept around because of the example he set. You know, doing things "the right way". He was someone Babcock could point to and say "As long as you listen to your coaches, give us every ounce of effort you have, and refuse to give up, you'll be given every opportunity to be successful."

And I think that's a really valuable thing to have, honestly. You need guys like that to set the example. Sure, you have Zetterberg and Datsyuk setting that same example but they're elite players and it's hard to measure yourself to them.

So Glendening's emergence has filled that role nicely and made Cleary even more redundant.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Hear me out.

Glendening is the reason we haven't seen Cleary this year.

I thought Cleary was kept around because of the example he set. You know, doing things "the right way". He was someone Babcock could point to and say "As long as you listen to your coaches, give us every ounce of effort you have, and refuse to give up, you'll be given every opportunity to be successful."

And I think that's a really valuable thing to have, honestly. You need guys like that to set the example. Sure, you have Zetterberg and Datsyuk setting that same example but they're elite players and it's hard to measure yourself to them.

So Glendening's emergence has filled that role nicely and made Cleary even more redundant.

Is the prediction that Cleary will be waived implied in this post, or did you forget to mention it? :naughty:

I agree though. I have been a big advocate in the past of valuing experience, leadership, and team continuity, and Cleary provides all of those. But his play is just so far behind so many (all?) of our other players that he's not able to apply those qualities in a meaningful way.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
As much as I think Joker is replaceable, I wouldn't mess with the 4th line - it's working. Weiss also needs to be in a top 9 role

Abby-Z-Dats
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Helm/Joker-Glen-Miller

Or something like that. But those 12 guys.

Damn it forgot Abby. Whatever those 13 guys.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This. I want Weiss nowhere near that 4th-line. If he can get slotted into a top-9 spot when there are injuries, fine. But I'm confident he would change the dynamic of that 4th line to the point of damaging their effectiveness.

I wouldn't want Weiss on the fourth line, either. I'd rather he be in the top9 and Helm slid onto the fourth line. :nod:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Miller has been the real unsung hero so far and he was great in the pre-season too. Glenda still has moments of erraticism that scare me, but Miller is almost always in the right place. Glenda brings something else to the table with his tenacity though.

The "meh" piece is Andy and I think he actually keeps that line from producing modestly. He's had a couple opportunities that he squandered because he simply couldn't win a foot race for a puck that one of Glenda/Miller poke checked ahead for him. He's improved a bit on the rush, but his first steps are absolutely brutal.

Last night I was watching Miller closely and thought to myself that this guy is a damn good role player. He rarely makes a mistake, very responsible and never out of position. Good forechecker. Miller is a very good 4th liner

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
What I love the most about Glendening is that he was signed as a winger and is now an almost 60% faceoff guy and a strong defensive centerman.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What I love the most about Glendening is that he was signed as a winger and is now an almost 60% faceoff guy and a strong defensive centerman.

In the matter of a few months of actual playing time the kid went from "someone who's going to play the wing on the 4th line" to what's looking like a legitimate shutdown center. It's really remarkable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad