OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Rise of Taillon...and Fall of Everything Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
It's too bad that Locke can't consistently pitch the way he has the past two games.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, nice to see two games that were actually pretty steady victories, against a very solid lineup (even if we got some luck by facing Tepesch).

Kershaw has to be viewed as pretty much a definite loss. It is possible to eek out a run or two against him sometimes, but he's so efficient that he'll get through 7 or 8 innings with ease, and I can't see Kuhl + assortment of bullpen guys matching that. With Jaso probably sitting due to matchups, it seems like a smart bet that he'll be efficient enough to gt into the 9th tonight. The Pirates actually have had some success against him, but he's on another planet this season.

Either way, we'll take our chances after bearing down and basically taking two must-win games. Kazmir should be very beatable on Monday, and we're basically just waiting on Liriano to find his way again... that game would be a great start.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Kratz may not have much of a bat, thats being kind believe me, but his defense so far is welcomed. That was a great play to catch his counterpart leaning too far off second during the sacrifice attempt. Saved a run.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Kratz may not have much of a bat, thats being kind believe me, but his defense so far is welcomed. That was a great play to catch his counterpart leaning too far off second during the sacrifice attempt. Saved a run.

He better be great defensively considering his ops was lower than both starting pitchers in last night's game.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
He better be great defensively considering his ops was lower than both starting pitchers in last night's game.

Yes because being a catcher is more about hitting than defense. :sarcasm:

I acknowledge his hitting sucks, but I was just giving the guy props for making a great play. Lets see Stewart or Cervelli do the same from their knees. I'll save you the time of thinking about it cause it won't happen.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Yes because being a catcher is more about hitting than defense. :sarcasm:

I acknowledge his hitting sucks, but I was just giving the guy props for making a great play. Lets see Stewart or Cervelli do the same from their knees. I'll save you the time of thinking about it cause it won't happen.

Jeez man, I just thought it was kind of an interesting stat. I mean, AJ Ellis is a no hit catcher and his average is 130 points higher. I'm not even criticizing Kratz. He does what he does and he's roughly the 5th string catcher. I don't have any expectations for him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Seems like there is a little bit of speculation as to the Marlins being interested in Liriano because of Benedict connections. It's certainly an interesting angle, but the Pirates approach to trading Liriano has to pretty much come down to whether they think he's finished or not. If not, then there's 0 reason to trade him. The Marlins don't really have a lot of enticing pieces anyways.

I like the Red Sox as a trading partner. Sounds like they are interested in Melancon, and since they have Kimbrel, there might be more of a match here than with the teams shooting for Chapman or Morris. We have a history of making trades with them, they have a history with Melancon, and they might even be able to use Joyce in a potential trade as well. Their system is plenty deep enough that we can get a solid return for two very good rentals.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Would be telling if Liriano did go to Miami and was magically fixed. FWIW, he has been better the last couple outings.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Seems like there is a little bit of speculation as to the Marlins being interested in Liriano because of Benedict connections. It's certainly an interesting angle, but the Pirates approach to trading Liriano has to pretty much come down to whether they think he's finished or not. If not, then there's 0 reason to trade him. The Marlins don't really have a lot of enticing pieces anyways.

I like the Red Sox as a trading partner. Sounds like they are interested in Melancon, and since they have Kimbrel, there might be more of a match here than with the teams shooting for Chapman or Morris. We have a history of making trades with them, they have a history with Melancon, and they might even be able to use Joyce in a potential trade as well. Their system is plenty deep enough that we can get a solid return for two very good rentals.

Trading Liriano is basically giving up on the season. We have no one ready to take that #2 spot. That would make Neise your #2. Good god almighty.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The biggest problem with trading Liriano is replacing his production next year, I think. But the question is whether we'll have to do that even if he's on the team. We now know what it looks like to have a pitching staff with a vastly underperforming Liriano.

I think he will rebound, at least somewhat. One angle I hadn't really considered before was how much the Benedict connection mattered for someone like Liriano vs Searage. I mean, who knows who works with who and how everything runs smoothly? That's likely reading too far into things, but it's one possible explanation for things.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I'm just not quite ready to throw away the season just yet. If Cutch starts producing now that he is back in the 3rd spot, Polanco/Marte can get through these nagging injuries, Cervelli coming back and most of all the rotation show any semblance of getting their **** together before the trade deadline then I think we have to play for the WC.

Now if its status quo by then, then by all means trade off our desired assets. Melancon being the first to go.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I agree that we should keep playing for the WC, but I'd just as soon also flip Melancon, Joyce, and Freese if we'll get solid assets in return. Melancon is the hardest to part with given how dismal the bullpen is, but we can begin to utilize the prospect depth at AAA: Frazier can likely be a good utility IF replacement for Freese, Bell can take over some starts at 1B and also play OF now and then, and even someone like Kuhl could step into the bullpen after a while.

I definitely don't want to give up on the WC, but we're in the hunt well enough and have a talented enough team to get there even if we sell some pieces (not to mention some possible more creative buys).

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I would be a little hesitant to lose Joyce for the fact that our starting OF can't seem to stay healthy. Now if Bell is ready for the show and can still be used in the OF then that may soften the blow a bit. I thought Bell was being groomed exclusively as a 1b nowadays?

Until the Pirates stop with the bs coddling of Kang, Freese is needed. Once Kang is allowed to be the every day 3B then Freese becomes expendable. I just doubt thats in their plans this season.

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
Can you imagine how Kuhl feels right about now? Your big league debut, national TV, the Dodgers and Clayton friggin Kershaw the man-God.

I think I'd hit the backstop with the first pitch if that were me.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So there was no way we could have offered more to keep Benedict? I understand cost saving on the roster but we should pay the farm to keep vital staff.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Can you imagine how Kuhl feels right about now? Your big league debut, national TV, the Dodgers and Clayton friggin Kershaw the man-God.

I think I'd hit the backstop with the first pitch if that were me.

Can't even begin to imagine what the kid is going through nerves wise. If he comes out and doesn't trip out of the dug out I'll consider it a win.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I agree that we should keep playing for the WC, but I'd just as soon also flip Melancon, Joyce, and Freese if we'll get solid assets in return. Melancon is the hardest to part with given how dismal the bullpen is, but we can begin to utilize the prospect depth at AAA: Frazier can likely be a good utility IF replacement for Freese, Bell can take over some starts at 1B and also play OF now and then, and even someone like Kuhl could step into the bullpen after a while.

I definitely don't want to give up on the WC, but we're in the hunt well enough and have a talented enough team to get there even if we sell some pieces (not to mention some possible more creative buys).

Melancon's the easiest piece to part with IMO. A couple of reasons:

1) makes no sense to re-sign him
2) teams tend to vastly overpay for relievers at the deadline (look at us giving up Jacoby Jones for Soria)
3) the bullpen sucks and Melancon is at the tail end of it, I believe that actually reduces his value as the guys who are supposed to maintain the lead for him aren't very good at their jobs

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Can't even begin to imagine what the kid is going through nerves wise. If he comes out and doesn't trip out of the dug out I'll consider it a win.

Probably feels better than if he was going up against one of their mediocre starters. There's no shame in losing to Kershaw, probably makes it a bit less stressful tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad