OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: More of the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If somebody would have suggested a week or two ago that we would allow 5 ER for the first 5 games of this homestand and go 2-3, it would be rejected as a metaphor that was too on the nose for this team. Just complete and total mediocrity, utterly hopeless that we'll amount to anything more.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What a waste of good pitching. Hopefully these guys can keep it up the next few years.

And I hope the rest of this season this offense embarrasses so much that NH will be forced to make some big moves this offseason . No way can we waste this good of a staff the next 3 years.

Id trade our prospects too for proven bats. Lets face it...our prospects dont really pan out. Nobody on offense should be safe for next year if the right deal is out there

turd

Feb 1, 2013
This team is beyond pathetic. Once again, thank god the Steelers are back and the Pens are only a month away.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm not sure there are easy solutions, but it doesn't help when the offense is a combination of extremely streaky and underperforming players. Dickerson has been mediocre since he's returned, and Marte has been absolute dog shit for weeks. Those are two of the best offensive players on the team. There are huge questions all around the infield, but I don't see very many solutions beyond hoping some young talent either injects some energy, or improves (in the case of Moran, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Bell). I doubt the Pirates would be too aggressive with Hayes.

Over the long haul, though, the pitching is in good shape. It's difficult to recognize that right now, since the team played itself thoroughly into a pretty desperate situation, and generally has been extremely hot and cold all year. It was not that long ago, relative to the length of a baseball season, that the offense was clicking so well that they took 5-6+ run leads in the first few innings and coasted to a zillion victories.

There were some significant steps forward this season, especially from players like Musgrove, Crick, Santana, and I think to a lesser extent Taillon and Bell too (probably throw Williams in there). There is a solid, if nowhere exactly spectacular, young core, and things could be dramatically worse on that front. Trading for offense seems easier said than done, but we need another impact bat in the lineup beyond Marte and Polanco. I don't think Bell will really be that player - Frazier might be somewhat of that player, but the real upside option is probably Hayes. The earliest I could see him up is a little earlier than this time next year.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The pirates missed their window, they needed to make trades 2-3 years ago to go for it. This is too little too late and this was never the time to go for it. The team wasn't even close to a championship caliber team with archer and kela for free. No proof but I believe the only reason they did it was because they heard the crickets chirping at pnc and feared the rest of the year.

These trades might slow the decline, but unless they start doing well in free agency team will flounder in mediocrity to bad baseball for a while. It's not like their farm is sprouting with talent at this point.

Whether they turn out to be something or not, the pirates needed glassnow and meadows to turn into good to great baseball players AND add good pitching and a HR bat to be contenders.

Reactions: USMC607

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Let me preface this post with I don't think the Pirates have anyone in the pipeline the caliber of the recent crop of young guys.

When was the last time the Pirates really pushed a prospect aggressively? Jose Gullien? We've seen this year young, under 21 prospects come up and be impact players. Aucna, Soto, Albies, Hicks and others getting debuts and extended looks (Tucker, Gohara, Soroka, Ferguson, and Wilson tonight), but with the Pirates every prospect has to go through every level at a methodical pace, amassing a large number of ABs/Innings at each level regardless of talent level or pedigree.

I understand the Pirates don't have a Soto or Acuna in their pipeline, and probably never will, but I still fell like some guys in their system could benefit from being pushed a little more aggressively.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It does look like the process has served guys like Hayes and Craig well, although you wonder if maybe it can be broken for them in terms of AAA. Especially with Baz (and maybe to a lesser extent Hearn, who was closer) being used, the clock is now ticking on the window that runs through the 2021 season, and you figure the tear down/rebuild will have to be more substantial at that point. So the focus should really be on taking some more chances for an influx of talent.

I can see more of an argument with pitchers, but for some offensive players, I don't think there's so much of a need to be methodical. We haven't really had a lot of position players who have hit extremely well - Meadows was always hurt, or only performing well in stretches. Maybe Polanco is the closest thing, but as I recall, he had to be sent back a little bit after his debut.

I'd guess the plan for next year at 3B will still be to keep Freese as a bench player, and hope Moran can take some steps forward, especially with consistent power. Neither of those things should block Hayes if he hits well in AAA. Frazier should be playing every day for the rest of the year (he won't), to see what he can hit and field like as an every day player. Newman should at least get folded into the mix at SS a healthy bit, although I imagine we'll sign somebody like Hech as insurance anyways. A guy like Kramer is where it gets more interesting- knowing the Pirates, he'll need to wait for an injury to get his chance, but he's at minimum worth seeing in September this year, and between he, Newman, and especially Frazier, Harrison's money could be reallocated elsewhere at this point. I'd sing a different tune if we didn't have Moran, or I thought we could salvage some trade value from JHay, but I can't see it.

Craig gets more interesting, but for a lot of these guys, we're looking at something like needing management to make the right calls on how much to see of whom, how much patience to have with guys like Moran and Bell, etc., and I can't say I'm very confident there.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
This popped up while browsing Twitter over lunch...

DlIqSQmX4AAc2G3.jpg:large

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Cubs (Murphy) and StL (Adams) raid the Nats and the Dodgers allegedly claim Harper (doesn't mean he's going there, BTW-- update, he's staying in Washington for the rest of the season, his waiver stay has expired). I think it's time to pack up 2018 and focus on 2019.

Toss Nova and Harrison on waivers and see what bites.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Let Keller get some experience heading into next season. Playoffs are out of reach now...no pressure. There will actually be more to start next season, when we should be exected to contend for a playoff spot.

If the rotation keeps this up next season that puts a lil more pressure on him to keep up.

So let him get in there now.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nova is definitely a valuable pitcher, though I suspect more of his value to a team might be over the course of a full season than for a playoff push. He's come on lately for the most part, and I could see him being an upgrade, but I lean conservative about actually dealing him. I'd make Keller or Kingham force the team's hand next year, and we have to assume some pitcher will get injured.

Freese is probably the only real useful bench trade chip, but he's too useful for us to bolster the prospect depth, which is basically what any August trade would do anyways.

Thankfully, Newman getting another start tonight. Marte is still out, and apparently was at the doctor earlier. Nothing much matters to me but trying to get Newman some seasoning, folding Frazier in as much as possible, and hopefully getting Kramer a cup of coffee in September.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Nova isn't as bad as you think and giving Kellwr some innings now isn't about being ready, it's about getting him ready for the short window coming up.

He's not someone a team making a playoff push is looking to add or give up anything of value to acquire.

Keller should stay in AAA until he's able to put a string of high quality starts together at the very least.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
He's not someone a team making a playoff push is looking to add or give up anything of value to acquire.

Keller should stay in AAA until he's able to put a string of high quality starts together at the very least.

Yeah would be a bad move to do what the Braves did last night, with Keller.

Horrible result

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
black hole of an infield. cole/glasnow should get some people fired, but how is this still josh bells swing and who thought stiffer than stiff moran really changed his ways

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Lmao man. For all the joy and success we have as a city in hockey and football.

The sports gods make up for it in the absolute embarrassment we field in baseball.

Someone call Budweiser and see if we can get some of those unlocking free coolers when the pirates make it back to the playoffs in 20 yrs.

Or if nutting ever sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad