OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: More of the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
There certainly needs to be a change in mentality within the organization. Less buddy-buddy handholding country club BS and more focus on getting the job done right.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
This has to come down managing: approach, substitutions, situational awareness, baserunning, etc. A team that hits that well should not be in the bottom third in runs scored.

1st in hitting against breaking balls, nearly last against fastballs, provided the stats just given in the broadcast are correct. That's absolutely a matter of coaching, albeit in a macro sense. In other words, it hints at more of an issue with the organizational approach than anything Hurdle's done.

That doesn't mean there aren't a hundred legit criticisms of Hurdle, but this goes deeper IMO.

lordstanley91

Jan 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
1st in hitting against breaking balls, nearly last against fastballs, provided the stats just given in the broadcast are correct. That's absolutely a matter of coaching, albeit in a macro sense. In other words, it hints at more of an issue with the organizational approach than anything Hurdle's done.

That doesn't mean there aren't a hundred legit criticisms of Hurdle, but this goes deeper IMO.
Maybe that’s why the pitching staff is fastball heavy haha throw what you yourself can’t hit. It’s brilliant.

Reactions: Brandinho

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Bad Crick tonight. Hurdle should recognize this shit by now and not wait until bases are f***ing loaded with 0 f***ing outs to switch pitchers.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I like the idea of Hech as a stopgap option for next year to take some pressure off Newman, but I also hope we'll flip him for something in the next week or so. It's interesting since TB is paying most of his salary, maybe we'll be able to get a C prospect for him. Otherwise, I think Frazier should really get a huge amount of playing time, and we should work Newman in as much as possible.

It's really a shame to waste so much good pitching. If a few things had broken differently after the trade deadline, and the offense didn't just do this Jekyll and Hyde thing, I fully believe we'd be right with the Cardinals by now. As it is, it's still an encouraging foundation for next year, but Huntington really has his work cut out for him in finding some answers, and it seems like some of it comes down to an organizational approach as well. Over a full season, a very good rotation will cover a lot of sins, but we're still a bit speculative in thinking we'll have a very good rotation vs a quite solid/win-with-able rotation.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
With any sort of offense at all we would have won our 7th straight tonight(starting with Cubs series) and at 68-60.

Cant believe the bats fell off this much. Also cant believe pitching is keeping this going.

We were probably better off throwing a game (since every game is so close because of our pitching, its keeping the hitters on edge) early so the bats could have a full game where its aleady out of reach and be relaxed at the plate to get them out of this slump.

Too late now(even tho teams have come back being further back before)...its a shame to waste this pitching. Could have gone on a run easily with any type of offense at all. These guys are locked in too, I dont think if we were scoring runs we would have seen worse results on the mound. So we really could have won 7 straight dating back to the Cubs series.

And still could go on a run starting with the Brewers..but cant see the offense picking it up. Go get Cutch to give the team a spark...

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'll be honest and say I am fairly satisfied with our current record. I think I picked around 75 wins to start the season and that seems pretty doable. The pieces are just not there for this team to compete for a WS. A playoff appearance whether WC or not is just prolonging the agony.

Firing Hurdle isn't going to make them a contender. Starting complete unknowns in the MLB isn't more than likely going to make them a contender.

They need power throughout the lineup, not just in one player to even begin to move forward. It's just not there. Guys that you think would have stepped up have done very little this year.

Playing small ball is really hard to win over the long haul. You have to execute everything else really well night in and night out. Pitching has to be lights out and your defense has to be consistently good. While the Pirates aren't last in any category for pitching and defense, they're no where near good enough to be a contender right now.

One last thing, and I truly believe this, timely hitting is so critical. Guys that come through in the clutch with RISP is just beyond important if you play small ball.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
In what universe is Cutch a spark? He'd just be a body for the outfield.

Because apparently our team is very fragile. Few things go wrong(Cd and Marte get hurt) and our offense hasnt been the same since. Those 2 came back and still havent bounced back and the rest of the team has fallen off. Even reliable guys like Cervelli and Freese.

So by bringing in Cutch, or Justin Smoak(solid defensively and hits HRs). Could tell this team the FO still believes in this year and could get them going.

Like I said, with pitching continuing to keeep each game so close its kept the pressure on the bats and they continue to struggle. Wonder if we were better off dropping a game early(down by 6 or 7 after 2 for example) so theyd have a full game at the plate with less pressure.

Shouldnt be this fragile mentally anyway but it is what it is. Like I said, forget about all of the mistakes and blown opportunities that happened the whole season and just go back to the beginning of the Cubs series. With how our pitching was...we should have won our 7th straight last night and sitting at 68-60. With the Brewers, Reds, and Marlins coming up.

We had a chance. But offense completely blew it. Honestly we would still have a chance(considering this upcoming schedule) to go 8-1 in these next 9 at least. But we won cuz these bats arent waking up anytime soon. If the FO brought someone in(I used Cutch for nostalgia reasons) it would tell the players they still believe they can make a run.

Ive never seen a pitching staff do this well this late in the season yet a team cant score more than 1 run ...in this many games.

our offense isnt this bad, its in their heads.

As for Hech..dont want him back. Id rather sign Iglesias(also passed thru waivers) whos better on D and a better hitter(not by much but Hech is horrible with RISP).

This year is frustrating ...

1. We wont see the NL this wide open next year. Teams will no doubt improve. Braves and Phillies are young. Dodgers had a ton of injuries. Nats will prob be back. etc.

2. We dont know if we will get this from our pitching again. We should but who knows with this team. Continue to find ways to let us down. Maybe two of them go to 60 day DL.

This was a good chance to sneak in and do something. Nobody really stands out in the NL . This is why I was pissed we didnt add a few rental bats at the deadline. Or even after(justin bour, daniel murpthy, matt adams...anyone) to get the rest of our guys going.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'll be honest and say I am fairly satisfied with our current record. I think I picked around 75 wins to start the season and that seems pretty doable. The pieces are just not there for this team to compete for a WS. A playoff appearance whether WC or not is just prolonging the agony.

Firing Hurdle isn't going to make them a contender. Starting complete unknowns in the MLB isn't more than likely going to make them a contender.

They need power throughout the lineup, not just in one player to even begin to move forward. It's just not there. Guys that you think would have stepped up have done very little this year.

Playing small ball is really hard to win over the long haul. You have to execute everything else really well night in and night out. Pitching has to be lights out and your defense has to be consistently good. While the Pirates aren't last in any category for pitching and defense, they're no where near good enough to be a contender right now.

One last thing, and I truly believe this, timely hitting is so critical. Guys that come through in the clutch with RISP is just beyond important if you play small ball.

Youre right. Look at teams like the Brewers and Phillies...their lineups barely have guys hitting over .250. Yet half of their lineups also have guys close or over 20 HRs.

And during our streak..we were leading the league in HRs. It changes games. Not having that from our corner IFs is why we arent in the playoffs. If those guys just doubled their total(which isnt asking alot since they are both at a measily 8 HR) we would be in this race.

We rely on the OF for most of our offense and when two of them got injured...there went our season(since we traded Meadows away) , they havent been the same since.

We had a chance to get rental IFs at the deadline for nothing who are hitting for power for teams like the Phillies(Cabrera and Bour) , Dbacks(Escobar) , Dodgers(Dozier) , etc.

Not adding anyone but Hech doesnt send a good message to the team for this year. And the Archer trade hasnt even impacted this season actually(our other pitchers are doing much better. So he better turn into a Liriano 2.0 for us starting next season. Or this will be a waste.

We could have done without the trade and kept Glasnow and Meadows who could possibly be helping us right now and turned into what we expected...going forward.

To make this worth it...Archer needs to be a Liriano type and it also has to force NH to add to the offense these next 3 years to go for it all. Forget prospects at this point, we need a title within next 3 years. Most of our guys dont pan out anyway(because of our own developing..not even on the players) so trade for proven guys( like we did Hearn for Kela..I dont an aging vet) and add a few thru FA.

So this team they are serious in the offseason and they may start next season strong and actually keep it going this time(no 14-31 stretches) if theres no serious injuries. Which is what Id be worried about next season since we stayed relatively healthy this year. Our luck we get longterm injuries to our staff next year

Last edited:
Reactions: AverageJoeFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad