OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Say It Ain't So, Starling

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If we can go .500 against the reds this year we have a shot at the division. Can't let them continue to beat up on us and expect to compete for first.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
The St. Louis Cardinals have the worst record in the National League.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Brault much better today in Indy, 6 IP, 3 ER, 5 Ks. Cory Dickson and Pat Light got hammered to lose the lead, but hopefully we'll see a lot of durable 6+ IP starts from Brault.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pirates may have even caught an additional break heading into this Cardinals series: Carpenter just took a bad bounce and tried to trap a ball into his glove. It did not look very nice, blood gushing and hand definitely bruised. He has stayed in the game for now, but can't imagine he'll be 100% and somewhat skeptical he can hold a bat.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
There are probably a lot of warranted expectations for this series -- minimally, a good road series win against a rival who is seriously scuffling, and likely as good of a chance to fire off the sweep and keep rolling as any we'll get. Toss in an upset or two from the Brewers against the Cubs, and we'll be looking at the possibility of finishing April on top of the three biggest division rivals (and really have a chance to be in the drivers seat with the Cubs, with a home series against them | barring any changes with the off day, the pitchers will be Kuhl, Cole, Glasnow).

As I said, I think these expectations are totally warranted. Nothing is going right for the Cardinals right now, outside of maybe a Rosenthal resurgence and thus a very fine backend of the bullpen if they can get a late lead. It's totally just lapsing into cliche, but the best thing we can hope to see from the Pirates is just more total dominance from the pitching. The offense has heated up to the point where they should be able to score 3-4 runs against these pitchers at minimum. Lynn is always a Pirates favorite, Wacha has velocity again but is completely hittable, and Leake has taken a step back with his stuff, although he's probably the toughest pitcher we'll face. Missing Martinez is a nice boost for us, since he's the type of pitcher who could strike out 12-15 batters when we face him and send the offense spiraling a bit.

In a certain way, I don't know that Nova is the best to open out the series with, since he's proving to be the most hittable of the pitchers, and eventually, that will turn into a so-so start. I've been very confident with him on the mound so far this season, and he should really be able to stay the course and prevent disasters by never walking anyone, but it would be more encouraging if he mixed in some more non-fastballs in order to get the swing and miss numbers up a bit. It shouldn't matter too much against an offense that has fallen into complete quicksand (they are in the bottom five in a bunch of offensive stats), but all the same, I'm not cashing my checks before this series even happens. The Cardinals need a rebound series in the worst way, so hopefully we're ready to meet them and give no quarter. As ever, taking the first game on the road is just such a huge boost, especially when a lot else is going right.

With three righties, you have to figure that Frazier has played his way into a bunch of starts this week. It will be telling to see how cautious we are with Polanco. Groin problems are nothing to joke around with, so better safe than sorry if we have people who are performing well able to play (at least in terms of offensive contribution - Frazier is still more or less a disaster in the field).

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I'm trying to manage my expections. A team with the Pirates' inconsistent hitting and defense is going to have peaks and valleys and my sanity won't be able to handle it otherwise.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yes, I think tempered expectations is smart for all the obvious reasons. I'll be completely happy with a series win here.

Carpenter and Molina are both out of the lineup today. The only real threat is Piscotty, so this is definitely a game for the taking. Momentum can switch pretty quickly, as we know well.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Game is on ESPN tonight apparently, but MLB TV Root is working for me out of market, if anyone is curious.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'm not high on the Cards this year. I don't expect much out of them for the season. Although with that team you can never rule out a bunch of nobodies randomly having all-star caliber seasons to help them win 95+ games.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Neither team really doing much yet. Normally this plays to the road team's favor, but the Cardinals have to be amenable to anything right now that gives them a chance to scratch a win out. Pirates need to be better against Lynn... I have full confidence in Nova, but little confidence that he'll totally shut the opponent out.

And Kolten Wong blasts a solo shot.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Well, Nova cruises through the next three batters, but it would be encouraging to see just some kind of response here by the offense. Lynn has had much too easy of a time, not a lot of great approaches so far at the plate.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Damn, JHay now 4 consecutive plate appearances he has been HBP.

Jordy has been making plays left and right so far.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Mercer got completely screwed by the umpire there. Lynn didn't throw any strikes to him. He's starting to not look as good, so hopefully we can break through here. The Cardinals will likely win if they have a late lead, their backend is something of a strength.

I'm not too concerned with Bell. Part of the problem is that he isn't getting the most consistent at-bats. He's mostly had good approaches at the plate, but it's hard to see much of a power threat developing when Hurdle consistently takes him out of games or doesn't play him. He's looked pretty bad up there tonight, for sure.

Another easy, 1-2-3 12-pitch inning for Nova. Mercer being robbed also makes us start off with Nova in the next inning, but I'm looking at Frazier and Marte to be much better than their first at-bats.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
So when do we start getting worried about Josh Bell? He's been awful.

After he came up last year he finished the season with a .775 ops, which is pretty damn good.

He didn't hit well in spring and he's had a cold 10+ games to start the year. The time to worry is far, far down the road.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Not encouraging there - Frazier's looked terrible tonight after lighting the world on fire yesterday, and Marte looks a bit off. I don't have a great feeling about the offense scoring the three runs it would take to make this an easy win, and likely easy series win.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Incredible play by Freese. Definitely need to keep this deficit to 1 tonight.

Bell has made three above average defensive plays at first base tonight. Not worldbeating plays, but plays that are important in executing above average defensive support of a pitcher who lets the ball be put in play. Hopefully Clint is paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad