OT: Raise the Jolly Roger | Now With Less Michael Martinez!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
my point is the pirates cant afford to overpay big money for players that dont deserve it based on future expectations, but can perhaps command that kind of money based on past performance

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
my point is the pirates cant afford to overpay big money for players that dont deserve it based on future expectations, but can perhaps command that kind of money based on past performance

If the pirates sign somebody for 15 million per year it will be a real special player, somebody like Cutch, or maybe if Polanco turns into the superstar we hope.

I like Martin and would like to see him signed, but Martin isn't going to be the guy the pirates decide to spend 15 million per year on, its just not how the pirates do business.

Which is why i think the only way they qualify him is if they are 100% certain that he wouldn't accept the offer.

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
Were the posters who were ripping on Chicago Made Punk and I for complaining about the Pirates' lack of moves at the trade deadline still patting good ole Neal on the back for doing absolutely nothing?

Oh well. At least they were close for a majority of the season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I repeat: this team is not one starting pitcher away from being a legitimate contender.

I'm quite glad that we didn't throw assets away to pretend that we're better than we really are.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Cutch and Mercer back, i like the move of keeping Snider in over Polanco.

3B Josh Harrison (R)
RF Travis Snider (L)
CF A. McCutchen (R)
2B Neil Walker (S)
C Russell Martin (R)
LF Starling Marte (R)
1B Ike Davis (L)
SS Jordy Mercer (R)
P F. Liriano (L)

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Were the posters who were ripping on Chicago Made Punk and I for complaining about the Pirates' lack of moves at the trade deadline still patting good ole Neal on the back for doing absolutely nothing?

Oh well. At least they were close for a majority of the season.

If you think 1 tough week has given you any validity in your "arguments" or proven anything, sorry to disappoint you, but you're still just a troll spamming the same baseless stuff whenever you have a chance.

The Tigers and Athletics added the 2 best pitchers available at the deadline and have promptly followed that up by playing their worst baseball of the season with both falling out of 1st place in the last week...

Cutch and Mercer back, i like the move of keeping Snider in over Polanco.

3B Josh Harrison (R)
RF Travis Snider (L)
CF A. McCutchen (R)
2B Neil Walker (S)
C Russell Martin (R)
LF Starling Marte (R)
1B Ike Davis (L)
SS Jordy Mercer (R)
P F. Liriano (L)

Great to see Cutch and Jordy both back. Fully healthy, best lineup available right now. Let's hope we can string a few together after the roughest week of the season so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
If you think 1 tough week has given you any validity in your "arguments" or proven anything, sorry to disappoint you, but you're still just a troll spamming the same baseless stuff whenever you have a chance.

The Tigers and Athletics added the 2 best pitchers available at the deadline and have promptly followed that up by playing their worst baseball of the season with both falling out of 1st place in the last week...

Yes, but those teams were overtaken by teams on absolutely red hot tears. The players they acquired (Price, Lester) are proven assets that will no doubt help them down the stretch. Like the years where the Pirates faltered, their low risk-high reward / salvage projects / lightning in a bottle guys are running out of steam.

The Pirates could replace Liraino with Dan Haren for next year and the yinzers will be saying, "Gee, if this guy pitches like he did in 2006, then he would be a steal. Same production as Frankie at half the price!" (Pirates' fans way of thinking).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Whoa, 9 major leaguers in the lineup tonight.

One thing that has been underplayed is that virtually every NL wild card team has serious problems. It's probably going to come down to which team has the right players heat up at the right time. The Pirates are obviously in the middle of one of those right times right now, and are the opposite of heating up.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
What is it about having a tomahawk on your chest that makes you think you can whine and moan about every strike call?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Lirano is very Liriano-esque tonight in terms of making the pitches he needs to finish counts successfully. Three good pitches to get ahead and then no control at all.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
The tough plays keep happening. What happened with Walker on that play...? He had the ball, was about to make the tag, then he pulls his glove up. All i can think was he thought the ball was about to slide out or something.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This pitching staff is a ****ing joke, and I'd be lying if I said I expected much from Cole tomorrow, either.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I think if we keep struggling this bad we should start selling off some guys that'll be coming off the books after the season. We were never true contenders to begin with. Yeah, it's much more fun to believe and all, but we don't have a very realistic shot of clawing back into the playoffs. It's all snowballing downhill on us.

And definitely qualify Martin. Even if he accepts, whatever, but it's much more likely a free first rounder. I mean, look how much the Yankees just threw at Brian McCann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad