OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At the same time is it a coincidence that the pitching run we are on coincided with Grandal becoming the 1C?

We just mentioned Chisholm. Let's say Davis gets halfway there to acquiring him and you add like Peguero and Mueth. We still have Endy coming back next year. We don't have the specter of "is he a catcher, is he not a catcher, can he really not play RF, why can't this dude just take?" Make it someone else's question mark and worry about getting Endy driving the ball again.

This is actually a good point, specifically regarding Keller.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Well, he can wear his uniform on the bench for all I care. Just stop trying to bat.

Tellez a dude that if he were batting against us, he'd been hitting dingers. But now with the team, just the biggest blackhole. His defense isn't really making up for it either, but he's only made a few dumb mistakes, so he's not bad, just an automatic out.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Well, he can wear his uniform on the bench for all I care. Just stop trying to bat.

Tellez a dude that if he were batting against us, he'd been hitting dingers. But now with the team, just the biggest blackhole. His defense isn't really making up for it either, but he's only made a few dumb mistakes, so he's not bad, just an automatic out.

He hits so many grounders too which is a problem when he's morbidly obese and slow. If it was Alfonso Rivas hitting those you'd at least see him beating out the double play sometimes

Reactions: BusinessGoose

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This is also a glaring red flag that Tellez is likely on the chopping block. The Pirates aren't going to run with 14 batters and 12 pitchers for very long.

I just don't see what purpose it has any more. The fans are going to be incredibly hostile to him which will only make his anxiety worse. He will then underperform even worse.

Just pointless now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just don't see what purpose it has any more. The fans are going to be incredibly hostile to him which will only make his anxiety worse. He will then underperform even worse.

Just pointless now.

I don't think they want to DFA him and have him clear, because he'll be a malcontent if they send him to AAA.

I bet they're trying to find any sort of trade for a team willing to give him a chance in the MLB, even to the tune of being willing to eat money to do that.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don't think they want to DFA him and have him clear, because he'll be a malcontent if they send him to AAA.

I bet they're trying to find any sort of trade for a team willing to give him a chance in the MLB, even to the tune of being willing to eat money to do that.

What makes you think he will be a malcontent? He doesnt give off those vibes to me at all.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Tellez spent time in the minors in 21 and 23. I don't think he would be a cancer down there. But you may be right about keeping him in the MLB.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I assume Tellez would be able to just elect free agency if he were DFA'd.

The main issue I see with keeping him on the roster right now is the obvious one: there's no point in doing so if you have already decided to move on. That means he has to get some more playing time at some point, and at least to some extent consistent playing time, even if the leash is now very short.

He's not in the lineup tonight, so presumably we're in the "clear his head" stage. I think we're going to miss Kyle Harrison in this series, so I imagine he is back in tomorrow or Sunday. Maybe we'll draw Sale for one of the Braves games, and then there's potentially Kukuchi and Skubal at least on the road trip. Him being totally unplayable vs. LHP and all those guys being good compounds the problem (him being totally unplayable in general) even more, but I would figure he has this home stand and the road trip to show some signs of life now.

It would feel sudden to make the move otherwise, and I can't see any trade (for a replacement) happening soon. I guess their approach is that if he sucks, we can try Lamb out in a few weeks and then perhaps look to make a minor buy if the team is still winning.

Anyways, I think it needs to be said that this is the kind of thing that blows back on you when you cut corners and don't invest in the team intentionally. He could have been a cheap source of decent power, but instead we are paying 3 million dollars for nothing at one of the primary offensive positions, which we have no internal options to replace and which has been an issue for years and years and years.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Outfielder has gotta take charge.

Can't make mistakes like that when you are facing a guy like Logan Webb.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
We must lead the league in exit velocity at bats!
I don't know if you're being facetious but I was curious where we rank as a team so I looked it up on statcast and we're 21st in avg exit velo lol.

Cruz is 3rd in the league but we don't have another guy in the top 100. Cutch and Rowdy are the next highest.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I don't know if you're being facetious but I was curious where we rank as a team so I looked it up on statcast and we're 21st in avg exit velo lol.

Cruz is 3rd in the league but we don't have another guy in the top 100. Cutch and Rowdy are the next highest.
Lol that's actually hilarious. We suck at that too.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Great opportunity here. Love to see Bae working a long count and then being a pest on the bases. Reynolds needs a big hit here and Cruz has squared up Webb both times.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad