OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah Mlodzinski is just getting up now, Skenes is definitely finishing 6 unless he struggles here.

I think they have a pitch count idea for him, but they're not going to pull him at 95 pitches if he can get out of the inning at 100 IMO.

Reactions: DaveG

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
With an 8-0 lead, let him start the 7th and see if he gets into any trouble. If he doesn’t, let him go for it. There is zero reason to pull him koe

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I get why people don't like pitch counts but Nolan Ryan was a once in a generation arm.

It is like saying modern diet and conditioning are unecessary because Babe Ruth dominated on a diet of beer and hotdogs.

Reactions: DaveG

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'd be more cavalier about it if it was the 8th inning and he had some quicker innings under his belt. For how dominant he was, basically every inning was average or more pitches. So if he starts the 8th (but in this case it'd be the 7th), pretty strong chance he gets up to 115 pitches or so, and then there's no way he's going back for the 8th inning in this case.

Hopefully the bullpen can close out the no hitter but also whatever. Slam the win, go up 2-0 in the series, and see if we can put some pressure on them tomorrow.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be more cavalier about it if it was the 8th inning and he had some quicker innings under his belt. For how dominant he was, basically every inning was average or more pitches. So if he starts the 8th (but in this case it'd be the 7th), pretty strong chance he gets up to 115 pitches or so, and then there's no way he's going back for the 8th inning in this case.

Hopefully the bullpen can close out the no hitter but also whatever. Slam the win, go up 2-0 in the series, and see if we can put some pressure on them tomorrow.

Yeah I would have let him go out for the full game if he was at 100 pitches going into the 8th inning, but doing that going into the 7th inning would have been unacceptable. He was a monster today, but he was too inefficient to let him go the full way.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fun fact: this outing was better than any outing that Gerrit Cole had in his 5 years with the Pirates.

Cole only had 2 games with 11 or more strikeouts, and both of those games had him give up runs.

Reactions: WickedWrister

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
What an absolute joke of a move. Just a total joke to pull him.

100% of major league teams pull him after 6.

For all the romanticization of the days of guys throwing 130+ pitches, people forget that virtually every pitcher's ERA balloons after 100 pitches.

Pedro Martinez was a terrible pitcher after 100 pitches.

The game has changed. Move on.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Not official or anything, just off the top of my head, iirc Skenes had 5 pitches that were strikes, that the ump called balls. And 2 balls, that were called strikes.

Matt Capps pointed out that the ump was having a hard time picking up Skenes pitch low in the zone, but that were strikes.

If he was at like 85 pitches or something, I'd agree. But 100? No need to risk it and blow out his arm in a game we should have in hand this early in the season.
Yeah, as much as we would love to see a possible no hitter, I am fine with the pull, especially with an 8 run lead.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If he was at like 85 pitches or something, I'd agree. But 100? No need to risk it and blow out his arm in a game we should have in hand this early in the season.
It’s his second career start. He just hit 100 on the gun to get his final out. His arm was just fine and he wasn’t going to blow anything out. It’s an absolute joke that he got pulled. Also just a reminder that this team had a 6-1 lead when he left in his first start and they had to win that game 10-9 because this bullpen absolutely sucks… so yeah I don’t have a ton of faith in them either.

100% of major league teams pull him after 6.

For all the romanticization of the days of guys throwing 130+ pitches, people forget that virtually every pitcher's ERA balloons after 100 pitches.

Pedro Martinez was a terrible pitcher after 100 pitches.

The game has changed. Move on.
As I said before. Let him at least start the 7th and see if he starts to struggle then. If he does then pull him. If he keeps rolling then let him go. It’s his second career start, he’s not blowing his arm out. Not to mention he just hit 100 on the gun to record his final out. His arm had plenty of juice left

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
As I said before. Let him at least start the 7th and see if he starts to struggle then. If he does then pull him. If he keeps rolling then let him go. It’s his second career start, he’s not blowing his arm out. Not to mention he just hit 100 on the gun to record his final out. His arm had plenty of juice left

He was already struggling. The last 4 or 5 splitters he threw didn't land within a foot of where he was trying to place them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad