OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Gonzales hits the ball hard because he has a very fast swing. Bat speed was lauded coming out and it was just a matter of him finding a better consistency against the spinning stuff. If he can do that moving forward, he's a regular because when he does make contact, it's often loud.

Yeah that was exactly his issue. He has all of the tools you want out of a 2B, he just needs to make consistent contact. I don't know what he changed, but he has absolutely been doing that this year.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Skenes getting squeezed on fasballs down the middle at the knees meanwhile Hendricks gets the call anytime the ball is within 8 inches of the strike zone.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The ump has made Skenes throw like 10 extra pitches already because he apparently has no idea where somebody's knees are.

It's just what happens to shitty teams. They get shit on lol.

To be real, every fanbase thinks they get jobbed but damn if the Buccos haven't been on the wrong side of a lot of shitting umpiring in my lifetime.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Gonzales hits the ball hard because he has a very fast swing. Bat speed was lauded coming out and it was just a matter of him finding a better consistency against the spinning stuff. If he can do that moving forward, he's a regular because when he does make contact, it's often loud.
His problem was always having too steep of a path. It’s in the zone and then quickly out. Idk if he’s fixed that but he’s definitely been making more consistent contact

Reactions: ImporterExporter

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It's just what happens to shitty teams. They get shit on lol.

To be real, every fanbase thinks they get jobbed but damn if the Buccos haven't been on the wrong side of a lot of shitting umpiring in my lifetime.
I saw one Umpire scorecard from a couple of games ago where they had sub 80% strike accuracy lol.

Holy shit, run support!!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Skenes likely goes 6 innings and then comes out, I figure his pitch count limit is more like 90-95 today. I'd be hoping for him to get a couple of easier groundouts on fewer pitches, I think pitch efficiency is the biggest area of growth I see for Skenes at this point.

That's one big difference between him and Jones. I think Jones is super efficient with his pitches, he usually only spends like 4 or 5 pitches per batter. Skenes is more like 6 or 7, so that could come down a bit.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
6 should be the goal and plenty achievable for him. If he keeps them hitless, I'm sure they will be discourse about it, but if he goes 6, he's going to be around 85 pitches at bare minimum unless he has like a 4 pitch inning.

My take on him has continued to be that he'll be a more efficient pitcher than many think, and less of a huge K guy, but I think today it's a combo of stringing up that many to start the game and the Cubs also just being fairly off his stuff. It seems insane to say this but he would be having an even more dominant start if he could locate that front door fastball to some of the lefties.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're absolutely smoking the Cubs at this point. Grandal with another 2 RBIs.

This has been one of the most lopsided Pirates games that I can remember. Between how much the bats are beating up on the Cubs and how Skenes is mowing down the hitters, I don't remember seeing anything this lopsided recently.

Reactions: DaveG

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
They're absolutely smoking the Cubs at this point. Grandal with another 2 RBIs.

This has been one of the most lopsided Pirates games that I can remember. Between how much the bats are beating up on the Cubs and how Skenes is mowing down the hitters, I don't remember seeing anything this lopsided recently.
The difference in velo between Skenes and Hendricks is hilarious.

1715974804068.png

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad