OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

dc2bfcfb0afca72bf5b7c1e3968c1877d7ad6103.gif

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Waiting eagerly to see the lineup and then I remember that we still seemingly need to make some roster moves first. We truly have to be the team that works until the ultimate last minute on this kind of stuff.

FWIW, I'd throw Cruz first. I don't think anyone else really prefers to hit leadoff, though maybe we will go outside the box with a matchup type pick and put Triolo there, batting Cruz in the middle somewhere. He did see the Ks tick up towards the end of the spring, but I didn't really attribute it to the bad habits he showed against LHP in 2022 and although Luzardo is very good, I don't think it's that bad of a matchup. I'd just throw him right into the fire on the presumption that later in the game, he may see some good stuff to hit with Hayes behind him.

We're facing so many LHP in this series and the next one that I am sure we will see some different approaches. Triolo, Cutch, Hayes, Joe all options to just go with a RH matchup.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Waiting eagerly to see the lineup and then I remember that we still seemingly need to make some roster moves first. We truly have to be the team that works until the ultimate last minute on this kind of stuff.

FWIW, I'd throw Cruz first. I don't think anyone else really prefers to hit leadoff, though maybe we will go outside the box with a matchup type pick and put Triolo there, batting Cruz in the middle somewhere. He did see the Ks tick up towards the end of the spring, but I didn't really attribute it to the bad habits he showed against LHP in 2022 and although Luzardo is very good, I don't think it's that bad of a matchup. I'd just throw him right into the fire on the presumption that later in the game, he may see some good stuff to hit with Hayes behind him.

We're facing so many LHP in this series and the next one that I am sure we will see some different approaches. Triolo, Cutch, Hayes, Joe all options to just go with a RH matchup.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Ali sanchez
Canan smith-ngiba
Jackson wlofe

Dfas

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bizarre opening day lineup. I understand no Suwinski because he’s awful against lefties, but Joe as a leadoff man and Tellez playing against a lefty are bizarre choices.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's pretty nice that the lineup is infuriating yet still filled with 9 actual major league hitters.

Yeah this was the other opening day lineup 2 year ago:

1. Vogelbach (DH)
2. Reynolds (CF)
3. Hayes (3B)
4. Tsutsugo (1B)
5. Newman (SS)
6. Tucker (RF)
7. Gamel (LF)
8. Perez (C)
9. Park (2B)

Compared to that crap, this lineup looks like an all-star team :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG and Rave7215

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't totally hate it to be honest. Cruz starting like 0-4 with 3 Ks would be a bad feeling. Even if that's still possible lower in the order, I think you stack with righties and maybe try to get an early lead as the road team to take the momentum.

The Davis-Cruz-Triolo group seems like it could be an x-factor in this one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I was initially confused with Joe leading off, but Joe leading off does make some sense because he was very good at getting on base against lefties last year (.368 OBP last year). He has mediocre speed, but he is a guy that gets on base and that's by far the most important thing in a leadoff hitter.

If it was Olivares playing LF and Joe playing 1B with Tellez sitting, I'd understand the lineup entirely. I think that doesn't speak too kindly towards Olivares, although he didn't do much with his play in the spring to get much more of an opportunity.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nice start. Would have loved to make Luzardo pay with 2 outs but good discipline from the batters and good quick work from Keller.

The audio quality on the broadcast is abysmal.

Reactions: WickedWrister

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Need a lockdown inning from Keller now. He did great work to bail out his defense last inning, Reynolds with the huge response. Luzardo's control looks so so, so I think we can get moving downhill if Keller can put up some clean innings.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Basically the opposite of what we needed. Keller makes a bad defensive play and then can't miss a bat and we are back to trailing.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Even good Keller allows a lot of runs. IDK man. Never fully bought in and probably never will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad