OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: More of the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
LMAO VITA BELLA

This is why it sucks so bad to spot them like 5 more runs. If we had a decent middle relief guy, maybe we're just a run down now. Still, 8 outs left for us. Gotta get another one or two off this guy if they are going to leave him in.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
LMAO VITA BELLA

This is why it sucks so bad to spot them like 5 more runs. If we had a decent middle relief guy, maybe we're just a run down now. Still, 8 outs left for us. Gotta get another one or two off this guy if they are going to leave him in.

Polanco had an easy walk but tried being a hero. Bases should have been loaded again for Dickerson.

And yeah this is why we need a legit long reliever. Game is at least tied right now. Or he prevents the full 7 from Holmes.

Kingham/Brault we lost while scoring 8 runs

Nova/McRae we lost while scoring 6 runs

Holmes/Sadler we score 7 but let up 11.

Theres a trend there that I think Hurdle and NH can figure out....might need to phone a friend tho. After narrowing it down to 50/50 .

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Can't really magnify it more than anything else, but Crick giving up that extra run is pretty huge now. Still, this is such a weird game that maybe we'll tie it and get walked off or something.

I like Kela over Crick because Crick seems to be just too wild sometimes, but I guess that's sort of what you sign up for. He definitely has closer stuff in the longterm.

The other decision that weighs somewhat heavy now is pulling Marte, which was probably a smart enough move at the time. If we bat enough guys to make the 9th really interesting, it will probably be Luplow up there with the game on the line. But I'd gladly take my chances with Dickerson or Frazier and a couple guys on... the fact that we even have a chance to sniff a comeback here is insane. Whatever happens, this game was more or less a disaster and Hurdle/Huntington should not be let off easy for it. The only thing that has not been as bad as it could have been is that at least Sadler ate enough innings. Not really the end of the world that Crick and RichRod had to pitch an inning, and if someone ends up pitching the 9th, it's because we have a real shot to win.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
10 runs and lose.

Just forget about this one and keep the offense going like this. 10 runs in 3 out of last 4 games. 50 hits in last 4 games...crazy. Could tell these players were pissed about this spot start and Sadler. When every other pitcher on this roster is capable. They would have usually mailed it in after down 10-3...but kept hitting and didnt give up.

These guys arent dumb...they know what decisions should be made.

Now they need to remember this and take it out on the Giants the next two games. Continue with the offense and shut them down with our pitching(actual MLB pitchers).

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hurdle starting Holmes was horrible decision #1. Then he outdoes himself by not PHing for Sadler when we had guys on 2nd and 3rd down 7-3. Even if we dont score there...he doesnt let up 4 more runs.

We end up winning.

No doubt these guys were pissed. Been busting their ass to get into a WC spot only to witness Hurdle continue to fumble around and f*** things up .

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
10 runs on 17 hits and we lose.

And why?

Because Clint Hurdle routinely makes moronic lineup/rotation decisions.

I find it utterly hilarious that we finally see the Pirates BUY at the deadline, giving up legit assets only to watch it all go to waste because of piss poor managerial decisions. I really, really want to believe but there are just so many tidal wave forces going against the players/fans.

Is it any wonder P's get out of Pittsburgh and instantly become all stars?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I just hope they come out angry today and smash the Giants. That was a ****show last night, and it should never have happened.

And once again it wasnt a hindsight type situation. We all saw it coming before the game even started.

Same thing with them bringing in McRae.

This team has a ton of talent going forward...2019-21. But will go nowhere with Hurdle. He has to go in the offseason. That would be the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long time and actually give us hope going into the 2019 season

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the main takeaway last night is that the Holmes decision was catastrophic. It's why we lost, first and foremost. Hurdle not pinch hitting with Sadler when he was batting with RISP twice is also extremely bad, but that's also a symptom of poor roster management, and a desire to save the pen in a game we already had basically forfeited.

Easy to look at a lot of the other stuff, Crick and RichRod, etc., but I think it just starts with Holmes. Whether it was nerves, poor preparation, or what, you just can't get knocked out of the game in the second inning. This has been a pattern with these depth guys all year - total inability to throw strikes.

Huntington can either address this problem pretty cheaply, or we'll keep trudging on and hoping that next time it rears its head, we get lucky, or maybe Brault can find the form he's had in spurts this year (he's pitched a couple of clean innings out of the bullpen in Indy, and you have to figure he's on his way back today).

Looking forward, I'm still inclined to be a little optimistic. Last night turned into such a mess that I'm not sure the Giants really build much off of it. Blach is pitching tonight and not Bumgarner, so the offense should still be able to do some damage. Williams is still something of an enigma to me, but if he pitches his game, he should be somewhat dependable here. The big wildcard for him is walks.

At the end of the day, the way I look at it is that we're not going to go on another tear this season, so the way back into the race is steady, more or less series winning play. Last night we gave the Giants one, really stupidly in a four game series. We've still got to finish the four games on this trip in a strong way, and then play a ton of even more difficult series in a row. Every game is a mini make or break.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
not Pinch hitting for Salder with 2 guys in scoring position may have been the dumbest move by a manager ive ever seen.

It's Casey Sadler...not Clayton Kershaw

Pinch hit for him..jesus.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The more I look at the clusterf*** of a playoff situation, the more I wonder if the insanest possible outcome - winning the division - is actually the cleanest to the playoffs. On the one hand, obviously it is (in the sense of, well, if you win your division you both don't have to worry about the 6 non-division teams you are fighting, and you make the actual playoffs without the drama of the play-in WC), but moreso what has me thinking this is that we have so many division games left as it is, meaning that the amount of general wins we need to be competitive overlaps to a large extent with the amount of wins that would end up coming vs the divisional opponents.

8 games back is pretty much an impossibility, and we're just not going to run the table on the Cubs, Brewers, and Cards in the remaining matchups, as astounding as that would be. But if we can tighten the gap rapidly, then we'd at least have a fighting chance in the final five weeks or so, obviously assuming that we were pretty pristine in the Cubs/Brewers matchups in September. The Cubs are trailing by a little bit early in their game right now, and tomorrow they have to face Scherzer, with the Nationals obviously in the same boat as us. They play Milwaukee while we are in Minnesota. This means that if we can get pretty hot, we might actually be able to close that gap to a more manageable 2-3 games if we get really lucky.

The biggest flaw in what I'm sort of raising is that it basically means we would need to sweep the Cubs at home next week, because even if we go 3-1, which in the abstract is a great result, we only pickup two games. But if we can shave two games in the next two days, do well in Minnesota, and then run the table against them at home, we'll be in the mix for the division, with things maybe even a bit more in our hands compared to whatever is going to happen between Philly, Atlanta, Washington, LA, Arizona, Colorado, and San Francisco.

In the immediate term, we basically just need to keep winning series and try to shave off as much as we can, without really falling off. I'm sure there's a more precise way to figure this out, but we probably can't afford to do much more than lose a couple series from now on. It's going to be a wild ride, and it's probably better to hold off counting every single game until it's September, but realistically it's an extremely difficult path to the playoffs for basically any of these teams. Maybe if you're an extreme optimist, you think playing from behind is a motivating factor and gives you a little bit of an edge. If that's the case, then we need to rattle off the wins now, going 7-1 in the next week or so.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Unsurprisingly, Hurdle has Frazier on the bench for Harrison tonight. Historically Harrison has been just fine vs LHP, but he's among the worst on the team this year, while Frazier seems totally unfazed by LHP. I don't like the makings of this game - hopefully Dickerson and Marte can provide some spark right from the jump and get pressure onto a rookie. We need Williams really sharp.

In other news, it looks like Boshers and at least one other pitcher will be up, which is also unsurprising. In all my repeated complaining about the bullpen, getting Boshers had slipped my mind. Hopefully his good AAA year can translate these next few weeks. The other spot seems like a total crapshoot - Biertempfel seemed to suggest something about Feliz, but there's no point if he doesn't have his slider. Might as well just call Brault back up for long relief duty and try and use Boshers more situationally/as middle relief.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That was a massive hit by Bell. Until that point, this game was more or less my nightmare- tons of guys were just giving away at-bats to Blach, and he was looking like he could at least give an efficient 5+ innings. Credit to JHay and Mercer for turning that around some, but the first time through was pretty rough (especially Dickerson, Marte, and Freese). Would be nice to get a few more, but Williams looks strong.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Would be nice if Bell has a 2nd half power surge. If can finish the year with around 17 homers, that'd be huge.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, tough about Cervelli... hopefully some abundance of caution, but hard to be optimistic given how it's been going. I was just thinking earlier that it's great he's been able to sustain the offense even after struggling with these injuries.

Big inning here for Williams. With a 4 run lead heading into the sixth, we have to close the door. One more solid inning from him would be great work, though I stand by my general conviction that Hurdle should be extremely aggressive with his bullpen usage when conditions call for it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Williams having a great night, but not sure I love this decision. He's performing immaculately from the 4/5 spot right now. If he can go 6 IP and 0-3 runs almost every time, you take that without question. Nice to let him go for the 7th on a good night, but at 95 pitches already, why take the risk that the Giants squeak a run or two, or that he's not as sharp next time out?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Well, happy to eat some crow - I guess it's not like the Giants lower lineup is all that formidable, although Hanson seems to be a guy who torches us. Tremendous start out of Williams... too bad we didn't see this 24 hours ago. Now let's put the lid on this game and get ready for another big one tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad