Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
BqD--cpCMAAA_Aw.jpg

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Re: the last thread, I know it was a little bit in jest, but Cutch is a better offensive player than both Polanco and Marte. His career numbers over 800 at-bats are almost identical to Willie Stargell.

He is still one of the most underrated players in baseball, even amongst Pirates fans.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Very bad execution right there -- need to cash in on those opportunities and give Morton a huge lead. Easily could have gotten 3 runs with bases loaded, no outs and top of the order up.

In other news, though, holy **** is Polanco fast. That was a routine double play ball and the Marlins had no chance to throw him out at all. It's like 6 steps at warp speed between the bases for him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Morton has settled in nicely, no thanks to the Pirates offense finally doing what it should to Wolf/Slowey, whoever else.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
J Hay is still good.

It's amazing how much nicer it is to watch games when the starting pitching is competent and effective.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Charlie Morton appreciation post.

And how about this outfield we've got, eh?

My oh my this is something special.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, but it's too late to make a run at it ;)

.500 after this game and we move to 1.5 back of the wildcard...we can leapfrog Miami if we finish off the sweep tomorrow.

Lots of disappointing teams in the NL this year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, like half of MLB is within a few games of .500. I definitely gave up on this team too early, but we've still got a huge uphill battle with the injuries and general inconsistent pitching.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Somebody ought to tell Polanco the team policy about chasing bad pitches and striking out.. he is putting the ball in play way tooo much lol. better send him down again to brush up on that.....

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Tony Watson says hi :)

Well yeah, but he hasn't played in either game. The 4 relievers who have pitched in the 9th the past two days have allowed a combined 8 runs. That's absurd.

The pen has been better than people seem to want to give it credit for this year, Justin Wilson has been the only real disappointment...but that's a recent thing...his ERA has jumped by 2 in his past 4 innings. These past two games though, yikes. Bryan Morris was the only guy that worried me when he was coming in, and he got shipped off...well Jeanmar too, but he doesn't tend to come in in high pressure situations.

The pen has lost us a few games this year, but they've won more for us. The Pirates are one of the best comeback teams in the league, and you don't do that with a bad pen.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I stepped out after the 8th and just noticed the final score was 8-6...what..the..?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The only thing I'd have done differently today would have been bring Grilli in a batter earlier...but that's one of those stupid moves done entirely because of stats - it wouldn't have been a save situation a batter earlier. Given the order that was coming up you have to make the move, though. I don't care if it upsets Grilli that he wouldn't get a save, he's 37, he can handle it.

This was the ideal game to get Pimentel some action for the first time in over a month, but unfortunately he got squeezed on the strike zone and gave up that second home run. Both Stolmy and Grilli had strikeouts taken away from them in that 9th.

Yesterday was a complete disaster, though. The only reason things worked out is that he had to ride Jeanmar for that long and Jeanmar answered the call.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

Not sure if this has been posted but Kingham has been promoted to AAA and threw 7 scoreless innings in his first start, striking out 8, walking 1, and allowing 5 hits.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Not sure if this has been posted but Kingham has been promoted to AAA and threw 7 scoreless innings in his first start, striking out 8, walking 1, and allowing 5 hits.

The promotion was, but the results weren't. Very promising start for Kingham, needless to say I hope he can keep it up. Like just about everyone else in the organization aside from Polanco he had a pretty forgettable April, but has turned things on of late. If he can adapt quickly to AAA we should be in good shape next year with both him and Taillon due for June additions (not for contract reasons this time).

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

The promotion was, but the results weren't. Very promising start for Kingham, needless to say I hope he can keep it up. Like just about everyone else in the organization aside from Polanco he had a pretty forgettable April, but has turned things on of late. If he can adapt quickly to AAA we should be in good shape next year with both him and Taillon due for June additions (not for contract reasons this time).

Yeah, I'm hoping he can adopt quickly to AAA too. The decline in his strikeout numbers are pretty concerning. But, I'm going to hold complete judgement until I see more starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad