OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Draft Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the wild pitches are a combination of minor league catching and his insane curveball that sometimes just keeps falling. Defiitely a bit of a concern but honestly when I watch him, he doesn't strike me as a wild pitcher.

The hype is warranted in his case, as he has three really excellent pitches. From what I see it seems like the slider can sometimes be the difference between him not being quite so sharp and then him being dominant like tonight.

I've seen some chatter that he should get some starts in Altoona but I think I'd just ride it out in Greensboro. It's only 5 more starts, maybe 6 if the timing somehow lines up, and it was already an aggressive promotion. He's clearly emerging as a big anchor in the staff and I think it makes sense to have him finish the season there. System-wide, I think the only promotion I might look to make is Mitchell to AAA once Smith-Njigba is healthy again.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Reynolds should at least be a gold glove finalist. His defense in CF has been a revelation. Definitely exceeding anyone's expectations.

Castro is case in point that you cannot write players off who don't have a bunch of upper minor league level experience. He's been hammering the baseball. 22 and has all of a few months of AA experience prior to coming up. He'll probably never be a big BA guy as he's an aggressive/hard swinger, but his BABIP is lower than it should be when you factor in EV's and reasonable K rate. Definitely has a Jay-Hay profile.

Interested to see Chavis take over the right handed bats from Nogo once Sept 1st roles around.

Also, Keller won't be back next year and it's for the best. He'll just waste a spot we can be using to get a look at new blood. It's actually insane how many innings he gives up multiple baserunners. 9 hits and a walk through 4.1 innings. He either can't hit the plate, or pitches over it to often and gets hit for numerous ropes.

One more year of misery and then we'll see the tide start to shift. It's coming. Be patient.

Martin finally ends the homerless streak. His issue is K's. Too high certainly but it's impossible to deny his ability to drive a baseball for extra bases/dingers. It'll be interesting to see him in Indy to start next year.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Also been really impressed w/the video's out there on Jared Jones. His stuff is still pretty raw, but you can see the nasty nature of the profile.

Just turned 20 last week and he's been strong in full season ball.

He has a ridiculous 76 K's in just 49 innings. 21 walks is not bad at all given his age and clear ability to miss bats.

Logan Hofmann another Cherington pick from last year's draft is also pitching very well in Bradenton.

The amount of talent we have in the lower levels is pretty ridiculous.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Also been really impressed w/the video's out there on Jared Jones. His stuff is still pretty raw, but you can see the nasty nature of the profile.

Just turned 20 last week and he's been strong in full season ball.

He has a ridiculous 76 K's in just 49 innings. 21 walks is not bad at all given his age and clear ability to miss bats.

Logan Hofmann another Cherington pick from last year's draft is also pitching very well in Bradenton.

The amount of talent we have in the lower levels is pretty ridiculous.

Jones can really spin it. Bet he ends up with two quality off-speed pitches. And I got a feeling the Cutter is in his future.

It certainly appears that Bradenton and the FCL clubs are just as stacked as Greensboro. And lots of pitching.

DSL teams are really struggling though....

Last edited:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Castro is case in point that you cannot write players off who don't have a bunch of upper minor league level experience. He's been hammering the baseball. 22 and has all of a few months of AA experience prior to coming up. He'll probably never be a big BA guy as he's an aggressive/hard swinger, but his BABIP is lower than it should be when you factor in EV's and reasonable K rate. Definitely has a Jay-Hay profile.

Since July 28 Castro is posting a .204/.250/.245 (.495 OPS) line in 52 plate appearances, so you'd probably be better suited to pick another example to support your "STAND PAT AND DON'T TRY TO IMPROVE" and "EVERYONE CAN SKIP AA AND AAA AND THEY'LL BE FINE" mantras. The guy is overmatched. Hey, run him out there and see what he can do, absolutely - but the idea that he's proof that we're all set with this roster is silliness.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
For the pro-tank crowd - The Pirates are only 4.5 games "ahead" of Arizona at the moment with the 3-game set coming next week. Problem is that the Orioles and Rangers are collapsing as fast as the Pirates are so it's a 4-horse race at this point.

Reactions: Gallatin

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Would be kind of amusing if the Pirates ultimately end up drafting Rocker, who like Green, was the sure-fire #1 prospect around this time last season

Last edited:
Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
For the pro-tank crowd - The Pirates are only 4.5 games "ahead" of Arizona at the moment with the 3-game set coming next week. Problem is that the Orioles and Rangers are collapsing as fast as the Pirates are so it's a 4-horse race at this point.

As President of the Tank Crew - and I heartily endorse this message.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the best scenario for the first pick next year is going to be a college hitter – often the safest top pick, next year features a deeper group, and obviously it lines up well with having double-tapped Gonzales and Davis if you can get another guy who moves pretty quickly. That said, it's never a good idea to speak in absolutes about the draft so far out. The prep hitter group is very good, with Termarr Johnson and Druw Jones (Andrew's son) also in the mix with Greene, and there are a couple of pitchers in the mix too.

It's pretty much a certainty that we won't pick lower than 3rd IMO. The pitching depth just doesn't exist, so we're going to keep losing a ton of games.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The rumor I keep seeing is that there's an issue with a shoulder, but I don't see a scenario where you would take him. The top tier of the draft next year is stronger than this year's was, so I think that alone would eliminate the possibility. It's hard to say for sure, since a healthy Rocker is probably somewhere in the top half of the first round mix, but I don't think anyone is is going to take him over premium college bats or a even the prep guys. One way to look at it is that the Mets have already signaled they'd take pick 11 in next year's draft ahead of him, so it'd be surprising if he went before that pick.

Blind guess, but he seems like someone who would get picked once it moves into the consensus second tier of the draft and a team's turn comes up who lacks a consensus top guy on their board. I don't think anyone is going to take him extremely high, but once it gets into the second tier where more preferences come in, someone could still grab him. The obvious caveat is that it's a pretty unprecedented situation and in theory you can have pitch data/showcases which could calm any worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad