OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Cervelli Re-Signed (3 yrs/$31 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Boscan should definitely stay in. Understandable if they want to conserve him slightly by not letting him get up to ~100 pitches, but he's basically stretched out as a starter. He's through the harder part of the Rockies order now, so he should be able to at least cruise through two more innings.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Latest news on Ryan Vogelsong is a left eye injury to include the orbital bone. Hospitalized at AGH. No more information known. Lets keep positive thoughts for him, his family, and the Pirates organization.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Latest news on Ryan Vogelsong is a left eye injury to include the orbital bone. Hospitalized at AGH. No more information known. Lets keep positive thoughts for him, his family, and the Pirates organization.

It's the worst injury in baseball, this one brings back a very bad memory.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I missed the game today but glad to see the Bucs come out on top.

All the best to Vogelsong. Very frightening to see that.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Broken orbital bones usually require surgery with titanium plates and screws. Ask me how I know.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Road ahead isn't too easy for them either -- in the Arrieta start this series, they face Martinez, although he's been very bad lately. Hopefully the Phillies can play the spoiler with them. Unless there's a rainout or something else, though, they are getting lucky by avoiding Kershaw, i.e. the one pitcher in baseball who is definitely better than Arrieta (I am not delving too deep to find this info - I just see Kershaw's scheduled starts because of fantasy, and he has the day before the Cubs series).

Pirates will need to get a little luck and take care of business in their series' in order to maybe shave a game off. I don't think too much more can be expected; the De La Rosa/Locke matchup doesn't favor us at all, and we face both Hamels and fresh-from-TJ-surgery Yu Darvish in Texas. If we can go 4-2 this week, that will be a very solid showing (especially since the pitchers we are sending out vs. the latter two will be Niese and Nicasio...).

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
They're somehow worse in action than on the page.

Speaking of lousy things that are worse in reality than on the page, I will never see what teams see in Shelby Miller. I can't believe the Diamondbacks sold the farm to get that guy.

Yeah, he's been abysmal. Would've been better off just keeping Hellickson. To make matters worse, Inciarte is exactly the guy they could have used when Pollock went down.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Had to stop in here and catch my breath from that damn hockey game haha.

Just wanted to say, we've done it again! Signed a monster for WAAAAYYYYY less than market value. Greg Polanco is very good at base balling. Looks to be growing into that frame and some of the hard hit balls are leaving the yard. That HR was absolutely majestic.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Yeah, he's been abysmal. Would've been better off just keeping Hellickson. To make matters worse, Inciarte is exactly the guy they could have used when Pollock went down.

The DBacks didn't have the wrong idea by trying to get pitching. The problem is that they paid WAY too much to get both Greinke and Miller. Overall, they traded three top prospects (Toussaint, Swanson and Blair) and an albatross contract for several months (former Bucco Bronson Arroyo) for Phil Gosselin and Shelby Miller. Dave Stewart isn't that good at this whole General Managing thing.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
The DBacks didn't have the wrong idea by trying to get pitching. The problem is that they paid WAY too much to get both Greinke and Miller. Overall, they traded three top prospects (Toussaint, Swanson and Blair) and an albatross contract for several months (former Bucco Bronson Arroyo) for Phil Gosselin and Shelby Miller. Dave Stewart isn't that good at this whole General Managing thing.

I think Greinke was the right call. A guy like him doesn't become available often and team like the Diamondbacks gets a crack at one even less often. With a guy like Goldy around, it makes sense to go all-in on fixing your biggest weakness.

The Miller trade is going to look brutal if the prospects pan out, unless they can somehow flip him for a decent return (doubtful at this point). Heck, I'd take Inciarte back straight up. Every time the Dbacks look like they're putting things together, Miller starts and kills them.

There was talk that they were in on Cueto, too, and I really wish that had panned out.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That Greinke contract is a gem. They're going to owe him $62.5 million after the contract ends on top of the $1 million+ per start for 6 years for a 32 year-old pitcher whose stats were aided by playing half of his games at Chavez Ravine.

Mind you I'm of the mind that there's one pticher in baseball that I think is worth $25 million+ a year...or even $30+ for that matter, and he's still pitching half of his games at Chavez Ravine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad