OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Arquimedes Death Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm glad I'm in the ****** division in our Fantasy baseball league lol.

It's gotten ridiculous... 14 team league divided into two divisions. Teams ranked #1,2,3,4,7,8 are in one division. I'm going to LOL when the 4th ranked team misses out on the playoffs to a team that's 20 games under .500.

Additionally, I don't want to toot my own horn but I haven't lost a matchup yet this year. I've had a few 5-5 or 6-6 ties but still haven't gotten an L yet.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I hate that Harrison is hitting the DL just as he was rebounding from that awful first few months but... the silver lining in this is that Kang/Polanco will get to see close to full time duty.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's gotten ridiculous... 14 team league divided into two divisions. Teams ranked #1,2,3,4,7,8 are in one division. I'm going to LOL when the 4th ranked team misses out on the playoffs to a team that's 20 games under .500.

Additionally, I don't want to toot my own horn but I haven't lost a matchup yet this year. I've had a few 5-5 or 6-6 ties but still haven't gotten an L yet.

Yeah it is a bit peculiar for sure. I'm just glad I'm in first place (somehow).

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Wonder what the lineup will look like...Call Tabata back up? Kang to 3rd and Rodriguez to the OF? I don't remember if he even plays OF.

He has played RF and LF this season. Made a spectacular diving catch out in RF.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
kang signing looms large. think about what this wouldve meant in years past. does alen hanson get a shot?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Well, there goes the little power JHay had. Thumb injuries that that are notorious for sapping power.

Maybe he can be Freddy 2.0

Harrison isn't looked at for power as his main attribute. He is more about getting on base and letting others drive him in.

You want to worry about power on this team, start looking at Cutch (10), Walker(6),Alvarez(12),Polanco(3). Only Marte is showing an increase this season. Walker is especially behind the curve of whats expected of him.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Harrison isn't looked at for power as his main attribute. He is more about getting on base and letting others drive him in.

You want to worry about power on this team, start looking at Cutch (10), Walker(6),Alvarez(12),Polanco(3). Only Marte is showing an increase this season. Walker is especially behind the curve of whats expected of him.

Point taken, but I was really referring to his individual power stroke. Not just over the fence but gap power and the ability to drive the ball with authority.

Thumb injuries are a batter's worst enemy, it takes a while to get fully back up to speed and, depending on which thumb it is, can mess with their grip and the comfort of their swing.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Point taken, but I was really referring to his individual power stroke. Not just over the fence but gap power and the ability to drive the ball with authority.

Thumb injuries are a batter's worst enemy, it takes a while to get fully back up to speed and, depending on which thumb it is, can mess with their grip and the comfort of their swing.

According to the tweet posted on here its his LH thumb. If that is true, since he bats RH then you are correct that it will affect his ability with power.

Haven't heard anything about surgery so that could be a blessing. Might only be a partial tear that time and physical therapy could help.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
kang signing looms large. think about what this wouldve meant in years past. does alen hanson get a shot?

Doubtful.

They have SR as their super utility player and just announced that Ishikawa will take Jay Hay's spot on the roster.

Hanson will probably get a September call up barring any of our middle infielders sustaining injury.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
This team really needs some kind of baserunning/sliding boot camp in the winter or spring training. It's gone from hurting them in games to actually hurting players physically.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
This team really needs some kind of baserunning/sliding boot camp in the winter or spring training. It's gone from hurting them in games to actually hurting players physically.

This is comparable to MAF needing a shrink and a full time goalie coach. :laugh:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Yippie... another rain delay.

Speaking of rain and baseball, my softball team was supposed to be playing games 35 and 36 tonight to finish up our regular season... we just had games 13 and 14 rained out. The weather this summer has been beyond miserable.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agreed about the weather. I cannot stand it. We had a terrific late Spring which felt like summer. Now we are ****ing rained out every damn day.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Could be an interesting game with our old friend Jerry Meals behind the plate.

Nevermind, seems Meals will be behind the plate tomorrow.

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I'm very pleasantly surprised with how good defensively Kang is. He has a nice quick transfer from glove to hand and a nice accurate throw, even when rushed. Not the quickest moving laterally, but not cement shoed. Quick reflexes as well.

He looks like he should be an MLB average SS and an above average 3B moving forward.

Why in God's name is Polanco in the lead off spot?

Even with JHay and Marte healthy, they don't have a classic leadoff hitter. Polonco, even struggling, is their best option there (with Marte and JHay out)... unless they would consider Cutch there. Something like:

1 Cutch
2 Cervelli/Polonco
3 Walker
4 Kang
5 Pedro
6 Mercer/Cervelli
7 Polonco/Mercer
8 SRod

Both Marte and JHay being out defiantly throws the dynamic of the lineup out of wack.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Lead off hitters should have solid OBP's. What goes is a guy if he can't reach 1st? Henderson for example never had that great of averages but he is a .400+ career OBP guy (IIRC). I think without looking Henderson was like a .270 career hitter but like a .405 OBP.....

Polanco has no business hitting 1st.....just the hard truth imho

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I don't know how Polanco is the best leadoff option when he has one of the lowest obp on the team. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather have Cutch hitting with a slow guy on base than with a fast guy sitting in the dugout.

You all know who I would put there and I'm sure nobody wants to debate this issue again but I still think Hurdle should give it a shot.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I hope Marte gets back soon, there just isn't much going on in this lineup without him.

If your an opposing team nobody in this lineup scares you except Cutch, teams are just going to pitch around him now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Feels like the beginning of yesterday. Not a single Bucco thing, offensively, to get excited for.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I don't know how Polanco is the best leadoff option when he has one of the lowest obp on the team. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather have Cutch hitting with a slow guy on base than with a fast guy sitting in the dugout.

You all know who I would put there and I'm sure nobody wants to debate this issue again but I still think Hurdle should give it a shot.

210.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad