NFL: Raiders officially change their name to the Las Vegas Raiders

Super Fadio Bro

MAMA MIA!!!
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
The Las Vegas Raiders....it’s so weird typing that.

Sidenote: The 2002 AFC Championship game would be the last time (ever) the city of Oakland would host a playoff game.

member 157595

LA currently has a team they never wanted while the team they wanted (one that is so deeply ingrained in the identity of California sporting culture) calls Nevada home.

It's still criminal to me.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
LA currently has a team they never wanted while the team they wanted (one that is so deeply ingrained in the identity of California sporting culture) calls Nevada home.

Kroenke didn’t want to share LA with a team that could potentially be more popular than his own, especially not in the stadium he is building with his money. I kinda get it.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

If you want to put a spin on it, the Raiders will have 9 home games and 7 road games.

*They play the Chargers in LA every year so that's technically a home game.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kroenke didn’t want to share LA with a team that could potentially be more popular than his own, especially not in the stadium he is building with his money. I kinda get it.

Not true. It was the NFL's idea for the Chargers to play in LA and told OAK to beat it. Once they did that, Davis was free to relocate to wherever he wanted and knew LV was going to be very lucrative.

Originally he and Spanos tried to team up & build an LA stadium.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Raiders moving back to LA died with Al Davis. His kid was never going to be able to finish the job. He’s not neck-deep in the politics of the smoke-filled rooms.

member 157595

I completely get it from Kroenke's POV, I'm just saying from a fan POV.

If you want to put a spin on it, the Raiders will have 9 home games and 7 road games.

*They play the Chargers in LA every year so that's technically a home game.

True.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Las Vegas Raiders sounds weird though. Wonder they wouldn't also change the team nickname with the relocation.

member 157595

Las Vegas Raiders sounds weird though. Wonder they wouldn't also change the team nickname with the relocation.

The Raiders brand/name is not only one of the most iconic in the NFL, it is one of the most iconic in all of North American professional sports.

In the days of sterile, boring, corporate bullcrap masquerading as sports, the Raiders brand stands as a monument to the league's past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad