GDT: rags @ SAUNA

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

Rod high-key scapegoating Freddie. Someone dare ask him why he continuously paraded an old injury prone goaltender to the crease even though he looked shaky the whole playoffs? Or why he split up a goaltending tandem that was working so well during the stretch and only gave the other guy one start?

But I guess Rod could probably also be referring to Orlov’s and KK f*** ups too, I guess

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Let me rephrase then: the criticism of Staal’s usage is silly. On a previous page, there was talk of his rightful place being on the 4th line.

If he wins his matchup, and he was +1 5v5 in the series, why does it matter that he doesn’t score? Low event hockey is not inherently bad. There are multiple ways to skin the cat.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And the good news is that the pieces that are working (Aho, Svech) we have signed long term and it sounds like (at last check) we’re making the other pieces that work (Jarvis and Guenztal) a priority to sign

Defense is getting an small overhaul due to UFAs, though I don’t think much will change there. Slavin will still be our #1, and unless he retires or this playoff REALLY opened some eyes in the higher ups, Burns will likely be next to him. Orlov is still around, likely to play the 2nd pairing we originally signed him to play, and I imagine Chatfield will be next to him. That leaves the bottom pairing, likely to be filled by a bruiser UFA and a rookie.

It’s the 2nd and 3rd line where there’s going to be the most movement, IMO. Necas and TT are up in the air, though I’d personally move on from both. Martinook will likely stick around, and I can’t find any reason against that. I imagine we’ll be trying Kuzy as the 2nd line center, for better or worse.

Ultimately though, what sunk us this year is the same thing that’s been sinking us: Special teams and goaltending. And while a lot of that is on the players, some of it is on the coaches and GM as well.
I think the change has to come a little with management. You can’t money puck goalies, we thought we weee good enough defensively for any goalie and we were wrong. Unfortunately with another year in the contract I don’t think there’s change there, no good options out there anyways.

I think making the third pair the second will hurt us, it’s a pretty strong step down. I agree it’s probably happening though. I don’t think Tony is coming back and I don’t think Morrow is on the team. We’re going to find another NHL ready pair or we take a step back defensively and what are we if we aren’t solid defensively? No Rod team is going to be an offensive juggernaut. We need some younger defensive pieces imo, but ones in their prime. We have cap space and trade bait.

Agreed, we have some good pieces in place. I’d go after Lindy, the lines are as shapeless as they were pre Trocheck. Either that or force Kuzy to live in Rod’s house all summer.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Let me rephrase then: the criticism of Staal’s usage is silly. On a previous page, there was talk of his rightful place being on the 4th line.

If he wins his matchup, and he was +1 5v5 in the series, why does it matter that he doesn’t score? Low event hockey is not inherently bad. There are multiple ways to skin the cat.
Oh I think he’s still the perfect 3C, especially for us. Rod used him as a 2C tonight based on minutes, I didn’t see how many special teams minutes he had in there. KK is off his radar, Kuzy isn’t a playoff choice for him, Drury is Staal jr but with our back against the wall Rod went with senior. I don’t think he should or ever will be 4C until like Rod he just can’t keep up anymore.

We need a 2C that warrants a higher spot than Staal in Rod’s eyes.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Rod high-key scapegoating Freddie. Someone dare ask him why he continuously paraded an old injury prone goaltender to the crease even though he looked shaky the whole playoffs? Or why he split up a goaltending tandem that was working so well during the stretch and only gave the other guy one start?

But I guess Rod could probably also be referring to Orlov’s and KK f*** ups too, I guess
Whoa. I’ve never seen Rod the bus driver before! That’s a shot across the bow imo, unless he’s referring to the others without specifying. KK and Chatty watched from the crease on two goals.

Goal line last stands were Pesce’s forte. We missed him.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Oh I think he’s still the perfect 3C, especially for us. Rod used him as a 2C tonight based on minutes, I didn’t see how many special teams minutes he had in there. KK is off his radar, Kuzy isn’t a playoff choice for him, Drury is Staal jr but with our back against the wall Rod went with senior. I don’t think he should or ever will be 4C until like Rod he just can’t keep up anymore.

Rod needs to deal with his own trauma with how he went out in the league. I feel like he is living vicariously through guys like Staal and Burns.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

The 2C is the big need, but I can’t think of who is available to fill it. You mentioned Lindholm, but I don’t see that working out for a number of reasons. Trying to convince him to choose us over Boston or Vancouver will be a tough sell, and even if he does, is he a Rod-type of player or will he also be taking a backseat to 2nd line Drury?

Monahan would be the only other player I could see us taking a swing at to fill that role. Maybe Stephenson, but I think Vegas keeps him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

If that 2C changes the PP in a fundamental way. Otherwise, it feels like checking a box for the sake of it, to me. Drury ended up in the black 5v5 this series. He wasn’t a problem either.

Reactions: zman77

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The 2C is the big need, but I can’t think of who is available to fill it. You mentioned Lindholm, but I don’t see that working out for a number of reasons. Trying to convince him to choose us over Boston or Vancouver will be a tough sell, and even if he does, is he a Rod-type of player or will he also be taking a backseat to 2nd line Drury?

Monahan would be the only other player I could see us taking a swing at to fill that role. Maybe Stephenson, but I think Vegas keeps him.
Yeah I don’t see an obvious solution so I agree with you, but I’d suggest we didn’t see Trocheck coming. At all. There could be something out there.

If that 2C changes the PP in a fundamental way. Otherwise, it feels like checking a box for the sake of it, to me. Drury ended up in the black 5v5 this series. He wasn’t a problem either.
Not a problem but not a solution either. It’s not about checking boxes imo, it gives the lineup structure. It slots Staal where he belongs, it takes heat off Aho and makes us tougher to check, let’s Drury continue growing as a solid 4C. Running three defensive minded centers may not hurt us in the regular season but I don’t think it’s makes us a threat in the playoffs either.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu

About where I am today lol. In a way it will be fun to see how Don cooks this offseason and the young guns. Sad to see a bunch of the guys go, but they weren’t getting it done. I’ll never take for granted how much this era meant to me. I was going through some really tough times personally in 2019 and this team and the fanbase has been a bright light regardless.

So moving forward: Please fire the goalie and special teams coaches into the sun.

Then we watch Seabass, Svech, Jarvis, Kooch come into their prime. Koko has potential but we’ll see. Would like to see Slavo be a Cane for life and Chatty stay. We’ll see.

Love y’all. Find a reason to smile today.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu

Could Jarvis play center? I know he seems to be good on faceoffs but don’t know how much he may or may not have played it previously, etc.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
It is easier to blame goalie than system. PP is the reason why we lost.

Andersen is a middle-tier goalie. He will give you middle-tier results. Which is fine when his salary is 3 mil or so. When you spend 3 mil to goalie and get what you paid for don't cry. Spend 8-10 mil for true number one and that might or might not solve the problems.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It is easier to blame goalie than system. PP is the reason why we lost.

Andersen is a middle-tier goalie. He will give you middle-tier results. Which is fine when his salary is 3 mil or so. When you spend 3 mil to goalie and get what you paid for don't cry. Spend 8-10 mil for true number one and that might or might not solve the problems.

And who is that true #1 that’s available? It’s all easier said than done. Look at who is remaining in the playoffs:

Boston - Developed their drafted goalie into a #1
Rangers - Developed their drafted goalie into a #1
Dallas - Developed their drafted goalie into a #1
Vancouver - Has run the gauntlet of goalies this postseason, but their current savior was drafted by them.
Florida - Signed a good goalie and hoped he’d step into being a #1
Colorado - Signed a good goalie and hoped he’d step into being a #1
Oilers - I honestly couldn’t tell you who is in net for the Oilers.

The Canes have a drafted goalie they’re going to attempt to develop into a #1, with some promising early results. But until that happened, we signed a few good goalies that we hoped would step into being a #1. Didn’t happen.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I can’t read the article without paying for it and f that, but “worst loss in franchise history “ is certainly a headline
Comes with $40 parking. Raise prices, raise expectations. I am sure they'll be fine but may need to change up the marketing narrative and hype a bit. Seeing is believing as they say. Choking in sports sticks until you change the story.

For the past 5 years or so, it's been a fun ride with a collection of mostly loveable players who delivered lots to cheer about with a side of disappointment, too.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I mean off the top of my head the game 7 loss to the rangers the year before last was worse. They didn’t have a lead and lose it they just got stomped. The big long ot games against Florida and Detroit were much more heartbreaking as they were in deeper rounds of the playoffs but way earlier in those series so the momentum was there to take and they couldn’t take it. And then there were those win and in final regular season games back in 08 and 11 that were total kicks in the teeth. I’m disappointed in how last nights game went but saying that not being able to pull off something that only 4 teams have ever done over like 100 years is the worst loss the franchise has ever been through is… something to say, I guess

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
I dunno. I feel like this team is a souped-up Mustang that is more or less expertly driven, which is fine until you're surrounded by Lamborghinis in the later rounds. They've been moving in the right direction for the entire Aho/Teuvo era that I've been watching them, but ultimately they're still the little team that huffed and puffed past the Caps in 2019.

I really thought that the Guentzel/Kuznetsov trade was a game changer with the arrival of some heartbreaker offensive talent, but no. And speaking of Aho, if your top forward and franchise cornerstone is essentially a Saku Koivu who stays healthy, will that ever be good enough?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Just want to pop by to say - great series. Hurricanes were an absolute force and I really thought you guys were going to push this to 7 games, and then finish the reverse sweep at the end of the second period last night. In no part of this series were the Hurricanes not competitive. Unlike the Rangers in game 5, Canes could have won any of the games in this series and outplayed the Rangers for large portions of every single game. They were the more consistently dangerous team.

You guys are a decent bunch of passionate fans.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
And who is that true #1 that’s available? It’s all easier said than done. Look at who is remaining in the playoffs:

Boston - Developed their drafted goalie into a #1
Rangers - Developed their drafted goalie into a #1
Dallas - Developed their drafted goalie into a #1
Vancouver - Has run the gauntlet of goalies this postseason, but their current savior was drafted by them.
Florida - Signed a good goalie and hoped he’d step into being a #1
Colorado - Signed a good goalie and hoped he’d step into being a #1
Oilers - I honestly couldn’t tell you who is in net for the Oilers.

The Canes have a drafted goalie they’re going to attempt to develop into a #1, with some promising early results. But until that happened, we signed a few good goalies that we hoped would step into being a #1. Didn’t happen.
Goalie drafting is pure luck though. Rangers last two #1 goalies (Hank and Shesty) were taken in very deep rounds. And both were the number 1 goalies of their respective countries PRIOR to coming over to North America.

Rangers picked another goalie over Shesterkin in the same draft who never played an NHL game. It's luck. The goalie coach (Benoit Allaire) certainly helps, but he was working with proven talent before they joined the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad