GDT: rags @ SAUNA

Cormag001

Feb 9, 2019
While I’m devastated at tonight’s result, I feel significantly more proud of the team than I did a few days ago. This one hurts, and may rightfully cancel some of that pride for others. I get it.

Goaltending was the difference. Freddie let in too many soft ones. Seems like the team puckered up, particularly early in the series and in game 6, when adversity hit. When that happens, great goaltenders give their team time to wake up. The canes didn’t have that luxury.

When you blow a 2 goal lead in the third, it’s certainly a team effort. At the same time, I can’t help but feel like Orlov was nearly the direct cause of two goals… just a really tough effort from him.

I’m sad because this is the last of THIS canes team. While many have come and go, guys like Tuevo and Necas really feel like key pieces that’s made the machine go for years now. If this is how their time in Carolina ends, it feels like a disservice to their time as Hurricanes

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
If we had special teams in the first 3 games we end this in 5. If we had a typical 3rd period we are playing on Saturday. But yay, lets focus on freddie.
We’re also playing on Saturday if Freddie simply covers his post btw.

No goal there and the Rangers don’t find momentum to carry them through the rest of the 3rd.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We’re also playing on Saturday if Freddie simply covers his post btw.

No goal there and the Rangers don’t find momentum to carry them through the rest of the 3rd.
I guess its Freddie fault for doing what most goalies do and try to cover a puck in his skates. Kk should have boxed out his man.

Freddie’s previous post covering issue was non consequential as we won game 5. What else we got?

Yeah, you’ve made it clear you believe Freddie can do no wrong
Excellent logical fallacy

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I guess its Freddie fault for doing what most goalies do and try to cover a puck in his skates. Kk should have boxed out his man.

Freddie’s previous post covering issue was non consequential as we won game 5. What else we got?

Excellent logical fallacy

Nah, there’s no point in breaking down the goals allowed because you’ll find a way to excuse Freddie’s play.

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
We also blew a few 3rd period leads throughout the series if memory serves. This speaks to playoff killer instinct or lack thereof. It also feels like we got out coached in several facets looking at the entire landscape whether it be special teams strategy, goalie selection or whatever. Plenty of blame to share. These guys are close, but just not quite rugged enough. The Rangers won the presidents 🏆 for a reason, there also a reason those 3-0 comebacks rarely ever happen no matter how much momentum we had. It's just not our time and it's up to management to keep trying to make the right decisions to keep pushing to that next level to be like a Rangers, or whomever. Feels like we're juuuuuuust a notch below. Pick up the pieces next year. Let's go Canes!

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I'm going to bed but we just lost to the Rangers and nobody has mentioned TDA once.

He played great tonight. He's made himself back some of the $$$ he's lost in free agency this year
TDA was mostly fine. He had a dumb penalty in G3 and a couple shaky moments in his own end, but he wasn’t a reason why we lost. Burns f***ed up way more than he did.

I’d be okay to bring him back if he’s willing to take another 1x1.5 deal and accept a 6/7D role. But I have zero interest in anything past one year or over 1.5M.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Outside Aho, Jarvis, Svech, & Slavin I don't think anyone else on the roster is safe. I think Chatty could be a reasonable resign and Guentz probably a good target. KK, Staal, Burns, & Orlov probably untradable. Drury & Necas probably best trade chips. Not sure any ELC guys would be a lock for next season

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
If we had special teams in the first 3 games we end this in 5. If we had a typical 3rd period we are playing on Saturday. But yay, lets focus on freddie.
I don’t think anyone is blaming the series on Andersen… special teams and goaltending was the difference… they were BOTH bad.

Even with our terrible special teams, you can make a compelling argument that Andersen (a single player) was highly responsible for game 1 and game 6 losses… he is the low hanging fruit

Reactions: Stickpucker

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Outside Aho, Jarvis, Svech, & Slavin I don't think anyone else on the roster is safe. I think Chatty could be a reasonable resign and Guentz probably a good target. KK, Staal, Burns, & Orlov probably untradable. Drury & Necas probably best trade chips. Not sure any ELC guys would be a lock for next season
Jarvis is an RFA??

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Not accepting alternative views while accusing someone of doing the same….
What’s the “alternate view”, exactly?

Anyone with one functioning eye could see that the game turned on the 2nd goal. The Rangers were creating nothing prior to that (we had the better of the play in the 3rd for the most part until then). Ever since that goal, the game was played exclusively in our own end. His softie gifted them momentum, I don’t see how that’s arguable…

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I don’t anyone is blaming the series on Andersen… special teams and goaltending was the difference… they were BOTH bad.

Even with our terrible special teams, you can make a compelling argument that Andersen (a single player) was highly responsible for game 1 and game 6 losses… he is the low hanging fruit
Plenty of posters are blaming Freddie.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This you?

Yep, that’s me pointing out that you’ve already shown a history of excusing the goals that Freddie has allowed. Thus, continuing down that path is a fruitless exercise, because history would tell us that you’ll likely continue to do so.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
What’s the “alternate view”, exactly?

Anyone with one functioning eye could see that the game turned on the 2nd goal. The Rangers were creating nothing prior to that (we had the better of the play in the 3rd for the most part until then). Ever since that goal, the game was played exclusively in our own end. His softie gifted them momentum, I don’t see how that’s arguable…
1 play or goal against can’t kill a team and yet we somehow laying it at Freddie’s feet because the team stopped playing.

Yep, that’s me pointing out that you’ve already shown a history of excusing the goals that Freddie has allowed. Thus, continuing down that path is a fruitless exercise, because history would tell us that you’ll likely continue to do so.
So you going down the same path too?

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
1 play or goal against can’t kill a team and yet we somehow laying it at Freddie’s feet because the team stopped playing.

1 play or goal against absolutely can kill a team. It can be a big momentum changer. Look at Game 5. We had absolutely nothing going for us for most of the game, Staal scores and suddenly we’re all over the Rangers.

Or hell, look at the Islanders series. We scored 2 goals in a span of 10 seconds…twice…because we capitalized off the momentum of the first goal.

Then take a look at this game. Rangers were basically dead in the water, Freddie allows the 2nd, and the tables turned quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad