Confirmed with Link: Radulov signed in Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Okay, lets give him that.
Personally, I'm having a hard time coming up with a complete list of players deserving to be protected, but I don't know what MB's plan is regarding that, so lets assume it's the reason why he insisted on 1-year deals.

You still have to go outhere, and make things happen. I don't know if you heard the comment he made about the Redmond/Pateryn/Barberio situation, but he said something to the effect of "I'm not concerned, you place them on waivers, if they get claim, so be it".

The same thing applies here, just as long as you don't give them a NTC (which Radulov would've never had from Montreal anyway, seing as MB refused to give one to Andrew Shaw, and probably paid more because of it). Say you sign him to a 4-year deal, and because you feel there are other players you'd rather protect instead of him (which would then speak volume about Radulov's contribution considering the forwards we have right now) you leave him unprotected...and then Radulov's gets claimed. How are we a worst team than if he tests free agency, and then sign somewhere else ? We're not. We're just back where we were, a year ago.

Say we had signed Perron to that two-year deal he wanted. And then, you don't protect, and he leaves. Well, at least you had a year of Perron, and a decent top-6 for this year. You didn't lose nothing, but a year. A year you lose anyway by not having that middle-tier winger on your team.

Firstly, those 3 dmen are gonna have a lot less value than some of our forwards. And secondly it might have to do with MB trying to sign or trade for a PMLHD. If next season we have Weber, Petry, Beaulieu, and that new D on the squad, MB might go for the 8 player protection list and protect 4 dmen. Not having radu to protect comes in very handy then as there would be only space for 3 forwards if we count Price.

i was just speculating anyway. Probabilities are that MB signed him to a 1 year deal because Radu is a risk. MB wants to see how he'll play before going long term with Radu.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Random question that I have about the expansion draft.
Seeing how radulov is signed only one year. If we don't resign him until after the draft. He wouldn't be eligible to be stolen from us right? And we wouldn't need to protect him?

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
Seeing how radulov is signed only one year. If we don't resign him until after the draft. He wouldn't be eligible to be stolen from us right? And we wouldn't need to protect him?

MTL does not need to protect him since he will be UFA July 1st. But then he can sign with any team when the market opens.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
MTL does not need to protect him since he will be UFA July 1st. But then he can sign with any team when the market opens.
Isn't the expansion draft after the cup final and before the actual draft. So it would still give us about 2 weeks to sign him before he becomes a FA?

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Firstly, those 3 dmen are gonna have a lot less value than some of our forwards. And secondly it might have to do with MB trying to sign or trade for a PMLHD. If next season we have Weber, Petry, Beaulieu, and that new D on the squad, MB might go for the 8 player protection list and protect 4 dmen. Not having radu to protect comes in very handy then as there would be only space for 3 forwards if we count Price.

i was just speculating anyway. Probabilities are that MB signed him to a 1 year deal because Radu is a risk. MB wants to see how he'll play before going long term with Radu.

Well, if that's his plan, then I guess it could make sense. Better find a way to do it though.

My point about the 3 dmen was...by not signing someone JUST because you might lose him at the expenssion, you don't achieve more than signing someone and then lose him. At least, you get a year of that player...then next summer, you lose what you don't have right now anyway.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Luckily, Radulov doesn't have to 'change his spots'. Check out his last few seasons. He's an elite forward putting up great numbers and by all accounts leading by example. His teammates like him, he's had no issues, and is a family-man with a wife and kids.

I want those spots exactly as they are.
In a dramatically inferior league where he was repeatedly where he joins a team with Shea weber whop publically said he felt betrayed by him. Those are the spots you want?

And if he didn't change his spots why would he say this "I made a mistake. I did it. I realize that as time goes by, you look at things in the past and you think about what you should have not done. You realize some things,†said Radulov of the curfew violation. “I know what I’m doing right now. I know what I want. I know how to do this. You have to be 100 percent on hockey, work hard, be ready for every game.�

But sure let's just presumme he's turned a new leaf the same way Matt Cooke was really reformed.

Radulov MAY have matured but to deny his warts is nothing but revisionist claptrap.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I think if we do not protect him, he could be taken, but I doubt Las Vegas is going to waste a draft pick on a player they will likely not sign, when they can just wait until FA opens and sign anyone they want.

And for the Habs and any other team in the league right now, if you can only lose one player no matter what, it seems kind of silly to let the expansion draft dictate policies that are not otherwise sound.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
In a dramatically inferior league where he was repeatedly where he joins a team with Shea weber whop publically said he felt betrayed by him. Those are the spots you want?

And if he didn't change his spots why would he say this "I made a mistake. I did it. I realize that as time goes by, you look at things in the past and you think about what you should have not done. You realize some things,†said Radulov of the curfew violation. “I know what I’m doing right now. I know what I want. I know how to do this. You have to be 100 percent on hockey, work hard, be ready for every game.�

But sure let's just presumme he's turned a new leaf the same way Matt Cooke was really reformed.

Radulov MAY have matured but to deny his warts is nothing but revisionist claptrap.

If it was just words, and the transgressions recent, I would be more worried. But I am not as concerned because of what Sergei Federov said about how he has ACTUALLY been behaving, which is so well that he has been captain of his team!

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
That was exactly what I was thinking about yesterday. I'm pretty sure Bergevin pushed for a 1 year deal to not lose him in the expansion draft and sign him long term if he shows he deserves it before July 1st.

That's in the best case scenario too.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
That was exactly what I was thinking about yesterday. I'm pretty sure Bergevin pushed for a 1 year deal to not lose him in the expansion draft and sign him long term if he shows he deserves it before July 1st.

That's in the best case scenario too.

I'm actually surprised nobody asked the question during Bergevin's presser.

"Was next year's expanssion draft a factor in the way you approached free agency this year, did it influence your negociation in anyway, and is it one of the reason why you insisted on 1-year deal, not only with Radulov, but also with players like David Perron ?" would've been such a better question than "When did that face-to-face meeting take place ?".

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm actually surprised nobody asked the question during Bergevin's presser.

"Was next year's expanssion draft a factor in the way you approached free agency this year, did it influence your negociation in anyway, and is it one of the reason why you insisted on 1-year deal, not only with Radulov, but also with players like David Perron ?" would've been such a better question than "When did that face-to-face meeting take place".

Have no idea why you are surprised. Our journalists do not do a great job. There's always MORE questions unanswered after a press conference than during. It helps when the same question is asked 10000 times but differenty ways. Yet, it means that there other questions that are not asked. With our journalists, it's always on the surface. They don't want to be "Cantin" so they don't risk asking the tough questions.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Have no idea why you are surprised. Our journalists do not do a great job. There's always MORE questions unanswered after a press conference than during. It helps when the same question is asked 10000 times but differenty ways. Yet, it means that there other questions that are not asked. With our journalists, it's always on the surface. They don't want to be "Cantin" so they don't risk asking the tough questions.

I get your point...but I wouldn't classify that as a "tough question". It doesn't put Bergevin or the organization on trial. If, for some reasons, Bergevin don't want to answer that question (which is harmless, really), he can easily brush it off by saying "I'm not commenting on negociations and stuff like that".

To be honest, I think the "character" issues just took the focus of everybody since the Subban deal. I think the journalists just overlooked that question...

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
Other than his offensive ability he is a very strong defensive player as well. Love this signing. Term is perfect. Could pile up points.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Outside of Okposo, who is preferable as a bigger, right handed shot, Radulov and Eriksson were the best players on the market.

Radulov is a year younger and we don't have to deal with the back years of a long-term deal. At least as it stands now.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
There's almost no downside to this signing at all. No risk, no cap or term issues in his deal.

This isn't a reclamation project like Semin was. Radulov is not coming out of a buyout with miserable numbers, injury history etc. He was the best player in the second best league on Earth, by all accounts in top shape and was the Captain of one of the most popular teams in Russia.

I look forward to watching him play, he's a difference maker.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
He never scored 30 goals in his professional career.
Look at Radulov stats.

Most he played was 54 games in KHL. At 21 in NHL, he got 26G - 32A.
Just compare to Tarasenko, Kucherov, Kuznetsov and Panarin at the same age.
30G is only 4 goals more.

So lets try to project his numbers:
You can use .80 to translate from KHL to NHL and pro-rate to 82 games.
I skip over 2015-16 because he did only 65 points, 29 points above the second scorer in his team: he had no support.

This gives you for 2014-15 KHL: 46GP - 24G -47A.

Using 1.46 (82/46*.8) gives 82GP - 34G - 67A. Using .8 is a realist assessment (see below).
Even using .7 to translate KHL numbers you get 30G and 59A.

A few comments are worth mentioning in this translation:

So hoping 30G and 90 points is not a pipe dream especially give the linemates he is going to have. We have four top-6 players to match with him and the best D-men on PP.

Expecting 80 points with him and Markov feeding pass to Galchenyuk and Weber is realist to say the least.

Playing him with Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Plekanec would give him a minimum of 70+ points. Most likely 80+ points.

After his 2008-9 season that was a bad season after his stint in Nashville, he has been the best ppg player in his team (even when playing with Datsyuk).
Besides 2013-14 where he was injured, he was the best scorer of his team (three years by a fairly significant margin (> 50% more: 63 points vs 39, 68 points vs 36 (Datsyuk with a pace of 55), 65 points vs 36)).

There is a bad side to this:
  • He is only signed on a one year contract and his price will go up next year (7+M SCap);
  • His linemates will see their numbers increase. For example, I could very well see Patches getting two seasons with 40+ goals and Galchenyuk getting 70+ points would cust us a bundle.
We can use the salary cap freed by Markov, DD and Flynn (almost 9M) to sign Galchenyuk, Radulov and Price (one year ahead).

With 5 top-6 players in our roster (four who can play top-3 when you include Gallagher 29 goals (29th in NHL) and 62 points (33rd in NHL) pace) and Weber, Beaulieu, Sergachev and Petry in our top-4 we should be considered a contender for the cup.:amazed:

I could have added that Plekanec was 54th in scoring 54 points in the league and say that we now have five top-3 but many would start to say that he is so soft despite having a career pace of 54 points per year and never being injured.
But who I am to say that Plekanec had better numbers than Stepan, Kesler, Saad, Parise and Landeskog. Let just leave it a the fact that Voracek and Koivu are clearly better with 55 and 56 points this season.

We must also remember the locker room improvement with Shaw, Weber and Radulov (was a C in his team and he is a character player he also was the best scorer in Gagarin cup (they lost in 4-3) last season and won it in 2010-11 (season MVP)).

This only one year after falling to picking up 9th in the draft.
Even if we would loose Price, we would most likely be in the PO.

With Price, Weber, Shaw, Radulov and Muller we will be a force to be reckon with.
Just looking forwards avoiding left side when Weber is there and see him clear the crease will be fun to watch.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Outside of Okposo, who is preferable as a bigger, right handed shot, Radulov and Eriksson were the best players on the market.

Radulov is a year younger and we don't have to deal with the back years of a long-term deal. At least as it stands now.
Radulov is about two years older.
Okposo is bigger but Radulov is 6'1", 205 lbs and he plays big.

Radulov has also more talent than Okposo.
He was always the top ppg of his team since 2009-10 even when playing with Datsyuk.

I would choose Radulov before Okposo but we will know soon enough.
Okposo best season is 69 points. I expect 80+ from Radulov.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Radulov brings many things other than scoring as well.

He's got tons of grit and compete, he finishes hits, he will fight as well. He's good at forechecking and back checking and he works hard.

Off ice issues aside, he's not at all a floater like some other Russian forwards. He cares a lot and he really really wants to win. Of course, this will likely reflect poorly in some situations like with stupid penalties but at least you know that he puts his heart and soul into the game. He also isn't here at all due to money. He turned down much larger offers by Russian teams because he wanted to play in NHL, and then turned down larger offers by other NHL teams becase he wanted to play in Montreal. The fact that some suggest that he just wants an easy payday is proof that numerous people are not very familiar with him. He could have signed a longer term contract with at leat 1.5x the value with a KHL team if easy money was what he was after.

tmac51

May 15, 2015
Winnipeg
Radulov is about two years older.
Okposo is bigger but Radulov is 6'1", 205 lbs and he plays big.

Radulov has also more talent than Okposo.
He was always the top ppg of his team since 2009-10 even when playing with Datsyuk.

I would choose Radulov before Okposo but we will know soon enough.
Okposo best season is 69 points. I expect 80+ from Radulov.

I think he was talking about being a year younger than Eriksson

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
People saying this won't work with Therrien are missing the forest for the trees.

Sure, Therrien has had issues with forwards with attitude problems, but it was always guys who just didn't care enough and were floating out there (Parenteau/Vanek/Semin).

If anything, Radulov cares too much and is extremely emotional/something of a loose cannon on the ice (his penalty box and bench antics being a prime example). Off the ice he used to have issues, but he's now married and a father so I doubt he stays out late getting hammered very often... All in all I kind of see similarities in him and Therrien, they're both very stubborn products of a time gone by who don't like losing and get emotional about it all. Main difference is Radulov is very good at his job.

I see this working very well, my only fear is it works too well and we serve as little other than a launching pad to a bigger contract elsewhere next year.

Interesting theory... but what about PK ? Radulov has the same kind of personality. We'll see but that moron MT already cost us PK, he better not cost us Radulov...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Nobody is denying his warts, including and most important, Radulov himself. That's the point -- the risk is based on his history from years ago. The evidence suggests he's matured as a person and as a player; that counts more than our blind fears. No one is negating what happened years ago or guaranteeing his behaviour will be flawless, but the good from last year and the year before carries more weight than the bad from years ago.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Interesting theory... but what about PK ? Radulov has the same kind of personality. We'll see but that moron MT already cost us PK, he better not cost us Radulov...

It depends on whether the issues with PK were really with Therrien or the other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce