Confirmed with Link: Radulov signed in Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Almost 1000 posts and nobody's mentioned Jagr's resurgence and maturity since coming back from the KHL.

It's the first thing I thought of when we signed him. I'm like...this is our Jagr situation. We missed out on the opportunity the first time, maybe we hit a homerun this at bat.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's the first thing I thought of when we signed him. I'm like...this is our Jagr situation. We missed out on the opportunity the first time, maybe we hit a homerun this at bat.

Except Florida was I think his third team after returning from the K.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I'm actually surprised nobody asked the question during Bergevin's presser.

"Was next year's expanssion draft a factor in the way you approached free agency this year, did it influence your negociation in anyway, and is it one of the reason why you insisted on 1-year deal, not only with Radulov, but also with players like David Perron ?" would've been such a better question than "When did that face-to-face meeting take place ?".

They actually asked if the one year contracts they offered to Perron and Radulov were because of the expansion draft. Bergevin said" en partie ".

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I agree. And, also... There is an expansion draft comming up.

It is an interesting strategy to have him on a 1 year deal. And, as Bergevin said, if it works out it will be a good problem to have. If Radulov picked the Habs and it goes well... Why the heck we he go to another team?

So... Let's wait and see.
Even if Radulov has only a one year contract, LV could still pick him and have about a week to deal with him before July 1st. There is not much besides Emelin they can pick from us :cry: unlike TBL for example.

I fail to see MB protecting upcoming UFAs like Markov and Radulov unless he already has an extension with Radulov. He could also have an gentlemen agreement with Radulov or LV.

A star player like Radulov coming off a top-10 points season would attract a lot of money from LV who would probably grab a lot of bottom forwards in their line-up.
In a previous post, I justified that Radulov could easily score 70-80 points.

Almost every player picked by LV will be below 40 points. The 150th player (5 player X 30 team) has 38 points and most team will protect seven forwards.

So I could see LV offering him 10M or even more if he does reach those levels.
Especially if LV is not near the SCap floor.

This is going interesting to follow-up.

Last edited:

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Isn't the expansion draft after the cup final and before the actual draft. So it would still give us about 2 weeks to sign him before he becomes a FA?
Or LV could pick his rights and use that period to deal with him.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
I think if he does really well Bergevin signs him before playoffs? can we do that with our cap situation i have no idea where we are at

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Where have you been all week? Apparently all players have warts. Just look at what has been said about Patches & PK.

i was here but they started playing the winners anthem so i hightailed it out of here pretty quick. you know, need to get the good seats at the bar gonna be there for a while.

is he reformed ? who knows ? his words are not convincing seeing and his word in honoring his contract with the preds was pretty wishy washy.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
What are you guys smoking?? :laugh:

Bergeving doesn't have a plan, he just makes **** up as he goes.

Besides signing Radulov, which is totally zero risk AND adressing a glaring need, his moves this summer reeks of over-reaction.

Don't get your panties in a bunch because you feel the plan isn't right. Bergevin doesn't have a plan. He always talk about building through the draft and yet he gave up two 2nd round pick for a bottom 6 guy.

Bergevin is trying to secure his job for the next couple of years and that's all.
Weber and Shaw clearly bring leadership.
The kind of leadership we missed when this team kept falling last season.

Weber was the leader of team Canada in defense according to Babcock.
When he was asked about Crosby and Toews leadership Babcock said "do not forget Weber".

Also Weber brings size and physicality that PK did not have.

Of course there is a cost to this: in three or four years Weber will have declined while PK will still be in his prime.

He traded those two second rounds of 2016 for two second rounds in 2017 and 2018.
Most likely, those were better rounds than the ones that we will get but still.

He also got a decent backup in Montoya.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Almost 1000 posts and nobody's mentioned Jagr's resurgence and maturity since coming back from the KHL.

Jagr is an all-time NHL great, cup winner and Hart trophy winner.

Radulov has 102 career points in 152 career games.

Apples and oranges.

Something to consider is when Radulov signed his last KHL contract the ruble was around .035 to canadian dollar. Now it's down to .02 or 42.8% less. Radulov isn't stupid, he's a hockey mercenary and right now North America's hockey market is the best for him economically.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
DD had a pace of 37 points last year, played 21 games with pacioretty(wrong) as his linemate and was second most used forward on powerplay(wrong). DD as s third line Center with no pp time will get no more then 30 points

Like eller did
I don't know where you get your numbers but in this I see 167 minutes with Pacioretty and this and it shows 15 games not 21. 12 of those games were with Weise and 3 of those games were with Andrighetto (32 minutes).
Maybe it is just a typo you did.

What is clear is that DD was paired with Fleishman and Weise the most on a third line.
And after coming back from his injury he played with Danault and Andrighetto on a third line.
On game 26, between game 35 and 39 (MT gave up after five games) and between game 51 to 57 he did play with patches. If you are picky, you could add game 50 where he played 4:37 with Pacioretty but it is less than a third of the 18:31 Max spend on the ice.

Desharnais-Weise was also matched with Pacioretty for 12 games (167 minutes) and Galchenyuk (84 minutes so approximately 6 games).

I think that DD is gone next season anyway and I see no point trading him for nothing.
At best he will give our younger center more time to be ready.
At worst he could be a good replacement for an injury in our team or in another team at trade deadline.

About PP TOI, this shows him in 5th position on PP TOI/GP.
How do you make him jump from 5th to 2nd? Hatrid magic?
You also need to remember that Plekanec and Galchenyuk are ahead of him and DD's number are increased because he played seven games on the point.
He was just ahead of Fleishman, Eller and Weise.

The only thing I will grant you is that he would get 30-35 points on a third line with little to no power play.

At the same time, looking at last year, if you roll two forward lines in PP, who do you put on the ice: Weise, Fleishman, Ghetto, Carr, Eller?

It will be different next season.
With Plek, Radulov, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty we just need another forward (most likely Shaw but Ghetto also). Even DD could play some PP time but he will clearly be 6th if not 7th in PP TOI/GP.

Anyway DD gone next year.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
This is a good signing. It is a year too late, and preceded by some pretty awful moves, but this signing is good. We need players with a high level of offensive skill.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov has the potential to do some real damage.
Not so much.

Between 90 and 105 goals.
Between 200 and 230 points.

Seriously:
Patches with 40 goals, Galchenyuk with 30-35 goals and Radulov with 30 goals.
Patches with 30A, Galchenyuk with 30A and Radulov with 55A.

All of a sudden we could have the best line in NHL.

With these guys and Markov-Weber on the PP we could very well be the top PP in the league.

Last season we scored 42 PPG.
Adding another 20 PPG would bring our offense from 16th in the league to 5th in the league. Weber alone did score 14 PPG last season. Markov had 4 and PK 2 (but 22 PPA vs 12 for SW).

get25

Oct 17, 2015
The real issue is how will those numbers from the KHL translate to the NHL. Is this man capable of having a 30 goal season
If you apply .8 translate ratio that Vollman has calculated (.83 is the actual latest) he will easily get 30G and most likely 80 points.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
This is a great move. Weber - Subban pretty much put us in a win now mode. This isv the sort of thing that can put us over the top.

We've adressed or at least partly addressed our scoring, PP, toughness/size, grit and I think the most important thing is that we can clear our own net. Weber will protect price and that is critical.

Don't know if these moves will pay off but I appreciate that we are taking a direction rather than just slowly fading out. You have to go for it at some point so may as well try now.
Also Pateryn is 6'2" and 223. Beaulieu is 6'2" and 206 lbs.

Petry is a bit light 6'3" but only 204 lbs but he plays with Emelin who is 6'2" and 216 lbs.

In a year from now, at worst, we will be able to add Sergachev at 6'3" and 230 lbs.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I don't think MB is done.

I think he'll be interested in acquiring these guys :

Shipachyov
Vesey (in August)
Fowler (or another left handed PMD)

And possibly getting rid of one or more of DD, Emelin, Beaulieu, Flynn..
Now we can make a pitch for Vesey.

Defense, Goal, Offense are all pretty sound.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I'm still a bit angry about Subban but I'm a huge Radulov fan, so this makes me happy. I have fond memories of watching him crush teams at the Colisée.
Latendresse remembers playing against him in a game where he finished -8 and Radulov scored 6G-3A... lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad