Radulov or Schremp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurgy25

Sep 20, 2005
San Jose
I think that both will have strong and productive career's but I hink schremp will nudge out radulov. He is a better scorer and playmaker

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
How is it NOT made for Radulov????

Robbie Schremp is way more gifted offensively, he is averaging 3 pts per game with London that is freaken insane. He looks like the puck is tied to his stick at times and he can also shoot the puck very well. No comparision not saying that Radulov is not a good player but not even close to as gifted as Schremp

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
MBJets said:
Robbie Schremp is way more gifted offensively, he is averaging 3 pts per game with London that is freaken insane. He looks like the puck is tied to his stick at times and he can also shoot the puck very well. No comparision not saying that Radulov is not a good player but not even close to as gifted as Schremp

IMO many people underrate Robbie's skill level. The guy has a chance to be an ELITE offensive player in this league for many,many years. Again people he was regarded as the 3rd best offensive player in a draft with Ovechkin and Malkin, just because he was taken 20+ spots behind them doesn't mean that he's chopped liver!!!

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
IMO many people underrate Robbie's skill level. The guy has a chance to be an ELITE offensive player in this league for many,many years. Again people he was regarded as the 3rd best offensive player in a draft with Ovechkin and Malkin, just because he was taken 20+ spots behind them doesn't mean that he's chopped liver!!!

I agree that he has the skill but on the flip side scoring in the OHL is not a forsure thing. There has been guys who scored big and haven't done anything in the NHL. Shremp will either make it big or not at all. His game is offense. He needs to be an NHL scorer cause he can never fall back as a grinder (3/4th liner).

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Schremp as much as it pains me to say it is the much better prospect. But don't count out Radulov as a sniper prospect. Remember he was 3rd on the Euro list in 2004 behind Malkin and Ovechkin. He has really improved his attitude problems with Patrick Roy being his coach in Quebec. Both would have been top 10 maybe even top 5 in 2004 had it not been for their attitude issues. I forgot what the issue with Schremp was :dunno:. I know Radulov cursed out his coach in Russia and vowed to never play there again, which is why he is playing in the Q.

BTW it's very difficult to gauge either one of them when both are playing with Elite linemates Schremp has Bolland and Radulov has Esposito

Last edited:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I agree that he has the skill but on the flip side scoring in the OHL is not a forsure thing. There has been guys who scored big and haven't done anything in the NHL.

Oh, for sure. But let's take a look at leage leaders from the past decade in the OHL:

Perry: 130 pts, 60 GP (2.166 PPG)
Locke: 118 points, 68 GP (1.735 PPG)
Locke: 151 points, 66 GP (2.287 PPG)
Robinson: 110 points, 67 GP (1.64 PPG)
Wellwood: 118 points, 68 GP (1.735 PPG)
Spezza: 60 points, 26 GP (2.307 PPG)
Keefe: 121 points, 66 GP (1.83 PPG)
Sarno: 130 points, 68 GP (1.911 PPG)
Sarno: 121 points, 64 GP (1.89 PPG)
Savard: 130 points, 64 GP (2.03 PPG)
Brand: 119 points, 66 GP (1.80 PPG)
Savard: 139 points, 66 GP (2.106 PPG)

I threw Spezza's in there because I remembered his spectacular junior career; there are probably other examples like that.

Nevertheless, only Locke, Perry, and Savard (twice) led the OHL in scoring by averaging over 2 PPG in the past ten years.

Schremp, as everyone knows, is currently scoring at a 3.2 PPG pace. The wide-open game is a huge factor here, of course. But even if you were to dock him a point per game to compensate, he'd still finish the year with a rate close to that of Locke and Spezza's. Locke is a special case; the guy has everything but speed, height and size. Schremp bests him in all three catagories, so it's only logical that he will most likely best him in NHL career.

That leaves Spezza. Is Schremp Spezza-good? Not many players on the planet are, and #44 isn't one of them. But the odds of him succeeding are extremely good when the player he will probably out-produce at the junior level is an NHL all-star and potential Art Ross winner.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Mr Bugg said:
Oh, for sure. But let's take a look at leage leaders from the past decade in the OHL:
I'm not sure that helps very much... it's fun to do, and worthwhile, but ultimately, if you study all the guys in junior hockey who put up nice numbers, my experience from following 3 decades of the OHL says that the ones who go on to be stars in the NHL are still a small minority. For every Bobby Smith and Doug Gilmour who win the scoring title in the OHL, there are usually a few Mike Kaszyckis, John Goodwins, and Tim Salmons. And everything in between.

Bottom line, one has to look more closely at the package Schremp possesses, beyond just the wonderful numbers. And that's what usually leads to the big debates. Some people I guess still question Schremp's attitude or his ability to play a rounded game, or his skating even, and while I certainly saw the reasons for those questions originally, I think he is answering them very well and showing a level of improvement in all of those areas that bodes well for his future NHL success, if that improvement continues. I doubt very much anymore that he'll "bust". But nobody now can know for sure if he'll be a star first liner, one of those one-dimensional second-level scoring players, or what. We can just make our own personal guesses. And I don't know that his scoring stats do anything to help with that. :dunno:

Transported Upstater

Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I agree that he has the skill but on the flip side scoring in the OHL is not a forsure thing. There has been guys who scored big and haven't done anything in the NHL. Shremp will either make it big or not at all. His game is offense. He needs to be an NHL scorer cause he can never fall back as a grinder (3/4th liner).

But the fact that he has potential to be so much more than a grinder is inherent in his worth.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
SerbianEagle said:
Interesting that you can post crap, yet when somebody actually states their opinion and backs it up, you reply with ooooooooo K....

Grow up.

Funny, I don't think the "The new NHL is made for Robbie Schremp" -line is 'backing it up' but I guess we have different standards for valid arguments.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Pepper said:
Funny, I don't think the "The new NHL is made for Robbie Schremp" -line is 'backing it up' but I guess we have different standards for valid arguments.

Agreed.

I don't know which one will be better, but it was actually Radulov that was considered the third most offensively gifted talent coming into the draft over Schremp and I believe Parshin....Not that it matters. Redline even had him as the third best prospect in the draft....

Radulov is faster than Schremp (that I do know), and in the games I have watched, he has always been passionate about playing...The question to me, is which guy continues to play defense and doesn't suffer offensively. I guess we will find out next year ;). If the gameplans stand as are, though, I would say Schremp has a better chance at succeeding more early, as the Oilers desperately need a center, whereas the Predators are loaded at top 6 wingers (fortunately for Radulov, they are in need of a sniper......unfortunately for him, they don't have a center to pass it to him, other than Legwand...)

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
HemskyFreak83 said:
the Oilers don't desperately need a centre, the depth is there for the Oilers, whereas a top line centre is needed

Which is what I was referring to. I know you have depth (Stoll, Horcoff, is Reasoner still at center??, Peca) at center, but you lack the top line center... ;)

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Enoch said:
Which is what I was referring to. I know you have depth (Stoll, Horcoff, is Reasoner still at center??, Peca) at center, but you lack the top line center... ;)

I'd love for Schremp to be our #1 center, but I don't think he has it in him, at least not for a few years.

I'm pretty sure he's penciled in on RW for the moment (2nd line).

EDIT:You are half right though... Schremp will get his chance because he does fill a desperate Oiler need: power play forward.

Last edited:

Transported Upstater

HemskyFreak83 said:
the Oilers don't desperately need a centre, the depth is there for the Oilers, whereas a top line centre is needed

I don't think Schremp is the answer to the top-line-center dilemma. He seems better on the wing for the NHL game.

Schremp will be a panacea for the Oilers' power play. I don't remember the stats on whether Edmonton's PP is proficient or not; if it is good, he will make it better, and if it isn't good, he's an awesome piece to build a PP around long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad