Value of: Radulov + Cogliano

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Maybe it’s reactionary, but the Stars could use some younger bodies up front. We have some decent guys coming up but no stars.

Radulov and Cogs are two of our older, more grizzled vets. Both have their pros and cons. Radulov is good for 50+ points a year, Cogliano has regularly been a part of great shut-down lines. Their cons are Radulov taking too many stupid penalties and Cogliano’s offense disappearing completely.

Cogliano is due 3.25M (also his cap hit) for one more year and has a 6 team NTC.

Radulov is due 1M next year (signing bonus already paid) and 4.65M next year. He has a 6.25M cap hit so he may be particularly useful for a team with an internal cap like Buffalo or Ottawa. He has a 15 team NTC.

Let’s say Dallas does decide to get younger and finds a taker for both players. Radulov I think is worth a decent pick or prospect still, while Cogliano probably requires a pick to move. I think the two roughly balance out. Given their roles on a team that was 2 wins from a Cup as well as their veteran presences, GMs may value them a bit higher than us HFers would.

What is a realistic acquisition for these two? A 3rd? Anything of actual value? Dallas could pursue a younger UFA (Toffoli, Granlund) with the space and make sure to bring back Khudobin while simultaenously giving another spot to a young player.

Is there a team interested in both that may pass their NTCs? Buffalo looks like they need to do a LOT of work, but I can’t see them accepting a trade there. Maybe Arizona wants to try to make another push? I don’t know.

Most likely Nill keeps both and largely sits pat, but I think there are options to improve the team, we just need the cap space that moving these two could provide.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Radulov isn't required to be protected in the expansion draft right?

I'm not sure if it's realistic with his cap hit, especially if you're not expecting to get money back. Would Dallas be interested in any roster pieces in return?

Reactions: ctmagic

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Radulov isn't required to be protected in the expansion draft right?

I'm not sure if it's realistic with his cap hit, especially if you're not expecting to get money back. Would Dallas be interested in any roster pieces in return?

He is . He can be traded now but he still has a NMC for the expansion draft. It's why i don't think he really can be moved despite him beeing cheaper than his caphit now.

Not without some major assets add.

Cogliano should be tradeable without that. He ain't all that good anymore but its one year and he can still provide a veteran mentor to younger guys even though he has absolutely no offensive game left to speak of.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He is . He can be traded now but he still has a NMC for the expansion draft. It's why i don't think he really can be moved despite him beeing cheaper than his caphit now.

Not without some major assets add.

Cogliano should be tradeable without that. He ain't all that good anymore but its one year and he can still provide a veteran mentor to younger guys even though he has absolutely no offensive game left to speak of.

If Radulov has to be protected then it's DOA. Wild wouldn't have interest in Cogliano.

The idea behind Radulov was to add another veteran who happens to be Russian to help Kaprizov be more comfortable, while also providing an upgrade in the top 6 over Parise/Greenway/Foligno.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If Radulov has to be protected then it's DOA. Wild wouldn't have interest in Cogliano.

The idea behind Radulov was to add another veteran who happens to be Russian to help Kaprizov be more comfortable, while also providing an upgrade in the top 6 over Parise/Greenway/Foligno.

Would probably depend on if a team has an open expansion draft spot for a forward but like i said it would require adding major assets because of that. Radulov is here to stay in Dallas until after the expansion draft.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Colorado will take the farm animal off your hands just so they don’t have to play against him anymore.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
If Radulov were suddenly available, I think you'd have takers. The only way you get rid of Cogs is to find a cap floor team, maybe eat some salary, and definitely give up a pick.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Weird. I really want to see him launched into the sun

Any true hockey fan who was paying attention during his tenure with the Ducks would have the utmost respect for Cogliano. He simply had nothing left by the time he was dealt to Dallas. It's really petty to hold a grudge against the player rather than the GM who decided to trade for him.

Lol wow I didnt even notice the screen name. Seems your entire existence here is based around hating a player who ought to be one of the more respected of his generation, just sad.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If Radulov were suddenly available, I think you'd have takers. The only way you get rid of Cogs is to find a cap floor team, maybe eat some salary, and definitely give up a pick.

People who keep making proposals to the Sens be like:

tenor.gif

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Any true hockey fan who was paying attention during his tenure with the Ducks would have the utmost respect for Cogliano. He simply had nothing left by the time he was dealt to Dallas. It's really petty to hold a grudge against the player rather than the GM who decided to trade for him.

Lol wow I didnt even notice the screen name. Seems your entire existence here is based around hating a player who ought to be one of the more respected of his generation, just sad.
Don't worry I blame the gm for saddling us with a horrible player on a horrible contract too.
Sadly we can't get out from under his useless ass fast enough

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure I'd do it but I'd think about it as a Habs fan. We would have to buy out Cogliano.

Radulov and Cogliano
for
Blues 2nd, Harris, Kulak, Weal

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would jump so quickly on that deal as a Stars fan that you might want to reconsider how good it is for your team...

Started high cause it's HF boards. Radulov for his age 34 and 35 seasons? I can see value there. He's not 20's or early 30's anymore but I'm somewhat interested. If we take the 16th Off the table, would a 2nd and prospect work?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Something like Cogliano + 2nd 2021 to Detroit for future considerations or if you want a good 12th/ 13th forward for dirt cheap you can have Ehn's RFA rights

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Started high cause it's HF boards. Radulov for his age 34 and 35 seasons? I can see value there. He's not 20's or early 30's anymore but I'm somewhat interested. If we take the 16th Off the table, would a 2nd and prospect work?
I do appreciate you erring on the side of generous offers rather than robbery offers though btw...too many fans here offer deals that they would recoil at if their teams were offered the same deal.

The 16th is the main piece in that trade so I'd be more hesitant without it, but it would depend on the prospect. I like Poehling, for example, but I don't think Montreal would give him up. Weal is a wash, I don't think he adds any significant value, so you can keep him if you like. Kulak is interesting because we lose Sekera so he could slot into that 5D spot. I admit I don't know many other Habs prospects, I know of Brook from the WJC, but I don't know if he's valued highly or not anymore by the organization.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I do appreciate you erring on the side of generous offers rather than robbery offers though btw...too many fans here offer deals that they would recoil at if their teams were offered the same deal.

The 16th is the main piece in that trade so I'd be more hesitant without it, but it would depend on the prospect. I like Poehling, for example, but I don't think Montreal would give him up. Weal is a wash, I don't think he adds any significant value, so you can keep him if you like. Kulak is interesting because we lose Sekera so he could slot into that 5D spot. I admit I don't know many other Habs prospects, I know of Brook from the WJC, but I don't know if he's valued highly or not anymore by the organization.

I'd have to think hard about Radulov in his age 34 and 35 seasons and how he picked the Stars over the Habs on this contract. I am after a winger who can help out Suzuki and KK and it all depends on what actual options are available to us.

Kulak and Weal would have to be part of it for our cap to work and to buy out Cogliano. It would come down to what futures the Habs are ok to part ways with and the Stars would value. Maybe I might do Harris and the Blues 2nd with Kulak and Weal. This gives the Stars a lot of cap flexibility. Weal is just depth for one year but Kulak is a decent piece. Harris is a solid B+ prospect at LD. If you don't know him, check him out. Habs are loaded at young LD's with Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, Struble. I think some Habs fans will shoot me for dangling Harris and some would be OK with it.

My interest in Radulov are 50/50 but I think the Habs would be out of this. Management is probably pissed off Radulov bolted to the Stars.

Habs would have to move Domi for futures in a separate deal.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Not sure I'd do it but I'd think about it as a Habs fan. We would have to buy out Cogliano.

Radulov and Cogliano
for
Blues 2nd, Harris, Kulak, Weal

Wow is this bad... We buy out Cogliano and give out a stud prospect in Harris and a decent #6D in Kulak... Radulov is 34 yrs old and declining

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wow is this bad... We buy out Cogliano and give out a stud prospect in Harris and a decent #6D in Kulak... Radulov is 34 yrs old and declining

Yeah, we probably should steer clear of Radulov I guess. Maybe if we add both Radulov and Cogliano, we would have to send Alzner the other way. They can buy out Alzner and would net a substantial gain in cap space over Radulov and Cogliano.

Trying real hard here to justify a move I would consider... I might do this if they are interested. They save cap space for the next two years, even with an Alzner buyout. They get Kulak, 2nd, and 4th in the process of freeing up cap space. If they are not interested in this type of deal, we are likely out.

- Radulov
- Cogliano
for
- Kulak
- Blues 2nd
- Jets 4th
- Alzner

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I'd have to think hard about Radulov in his age 34 and 35 seasons and how he picked the Stars over the Habs on this contract. I am after a winger who can help out Suzuki and KK and it all depends on what actual options are available to us.

Kulak and Weal would have to be part of it for our cap to work and to buy out Cogliano. It would come down to what futures the Habs are ok to part ways with and the Stars would value. Maybe I might do Harris and the Blues 2nd with Kulak and Weal. This gives the Stars a lot of cap flexibility. Weal is just depth for one year but Kulak is a decent piece. Harris is a solid B+ prospect at LD. If you don't know him, check him out. Habs are loaded at young LD's with Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, Struble. I think some Habs fans will shoot me for dangling Harris and some would be OK with it.

My interest in Radulov are 50/50 but I think the Habs would be out of this. Management is probably pissed off Radulov bolted to the Stars.

Habs would have to move Domi for futures in a separate deal.
All we have is LDs, so that would be tough.

At this point I'd just go for St. Louis 2nd, Kulak, and Weal, for Cogliano and Radulov, don't worry about the prospect. I think we could probably then flip Weal for like a late round pick. We run in danger of having a lot of cap space and nowhere to spend it, but that's not the worst problem to have. But maybe by now you're reconsidering whether this is a good deal for you all, which is fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad