Radko Gudas

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"Funniest Player Encountered: "I'd say Pierre-Cedric Labrie."

Three Athletes You Like To Watch And Follow: "I like The Rock, the wrestler. I like, he's retired, Roman Sebrle (decathlon). And I like Barbora Spotakova, a Czech, she throws the javelin."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52750-Radko-Gudas.html

Everyone likes Nacho Libre but is the Rock a "real" athlete?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
Ha I'd say Dwayne Johnson is an athlete for sure. Dude is built like you know what kind of brick house. WWE wrestlers are definitely athletes IMO.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Gudas watches a lot of javelin throwing, does he?

Didn't we have the 'Is the Rock an athlete?' conversation when PC Labrie was the subject of THN?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I was at The U for football camps in high school. I can most certainly assure you that Dwayne Johnson IS an athlete. Had he not blown out his knee, he'd have most likely made the NFL. You don't play a down for the 80s/90s 'Canes without being a legit athlete.

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
Gudas is a bone rattling checker. He is there for enforcement if needed. The offense and play making isn't there. Tampa should invite him to camp and have him start his season in the American Hockey League.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gudas is a bone rattling checker. He is there for enforcement if needed. The offense and play making isn't there. Tampa should invite him to camp and have him start his season in the American Hockey League.

Um what? Did you not watch any hockey last season?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I love the guy and he's gonna be a stud but I really hope he gets the timing of his pinches right.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Oh so wrong. Gudas is there because he can downright play. He's already a stay on that blueline.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I will say this. Firm belief in 3 years gudas to me will be our best defender maybe he tops out on scoring in 30's maybe hedman gets that much better in scoring where he is the better all around player but the guy I want on penalty kill and shut down on our team is going to be gudas. He was what 5th in nhl for time played for hits or just 5th overall with less time? The guy is a stud and only going to get better. I figure will develop into at worst an average guy on power play so that will make him when he continues to develop block shots and hit the best we have. Especially since he is the RH D guy we need so badly.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I will say this. Firm belief in 3 years gudas to me will be our best defender maybe he tops out on scoring in 30's maybe hedman gets that much better in scoring where he is the better all around player but the guy I want on penalty kill and shut down on our team is going to be gudas. He was what 5th in nhl for time played for hits or just 5th overall with less time? The guy is a stud and only going to get better. I figure will develop into at worst an average guy on power play so that will make him when he continues to develop block shots and hit the best we have. Especially since he is the RH D guy we need so badly.

He will develop into a solid defender, but to say he will be better than Hedman (and that too in just 3 years)? Unlikely.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He will develop into a solid defender, but to say he will be better than Hedman (and that too in just 3 years)? Unlikely.

I view guys who hit play physical block shots sacrifice etc.. higher than I do guys with scoring etc.. I really believe gudas can put it all together. I did say might not be offensive what hedman is but the guy we want in charge of penalty kill etc.. I think gudas can achieve that. 3 full years is fair if he can develop into that. Hedman is way ahead of him right now but hedman will never be a top 10 guy in hits and blocks just my opinion. I think hedman develops more and more offensively while doing nothing BADLY at all. Just this kid could be top 10 in both blocked shots and hits and should develop into 30 point area so makes him a dan girardi type of player to me.

Now I put a Dan Girardi ahead of what a lot of HF or fans would put him. I dont need a 40 point player to say he is best NHL guy. Everything to most of you on HF or fans is all about how much does this guy scorer. To me that is small part of equation to being a GREAT defender.

I look at the polls who has best bottom four defenders blah blah blah. I think everyone takes too much value into the guys making points and not enough into the guys who really are tough d men who have 28 minutes a game like girardi did and sacrifice night in night out etc..
Just cause a guy gets you 40 some points doesnt make him a nick lidstrom and sure as hell doesnt make a pronger or konstantinov to make a couple examples.

So is just my preference I think people on here and most fans value the guys who score the points even though their defense might not be that good at all and they are not even close to top in hits blocks penalty kill etc..

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
I don't see how you think that Gudas could be better than Hedman. Sure, he hits lot more than Hedman but he's worse in everything else. Hedman is better defensively, positionally, better skater, better offensively etc. And what, Gudas could be top-10 in blocked shots but Hedman couldn't?

Gudas: 22 GP, 28 blocked shots
Hedman 44 GP, 84 blocked shots

Just because Gudas hits a lot it doesn't mean that he would block lots of shots. Gudas should be a solid second-pairing physical shutdown d-man but I don't see him being a top-pairing defenseman.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I view guys who hit play physical block shots sacrifice etc.. higher than I do guys with scoring etc.. I really believe gudas can put it all together. I did say might not be offensive what hedman is but the guy we want in charge of penalty kill etc.. I think gudas can achieve that. 3 full years is fair if he can develop into that. Hedman is way ahead of him right now but hedman will never be a top 10 guy in hits and blocks just my opinion. I think hedman develops more and more offensively while doing nothing BADLY at all. Just this kid could be top 10 in both blocked shots and hits and should develop into 30 point area so makes him a dan girardi type of player to me.

Now I put a Dan Girardi ahead of what a lot of HF or fans would put him. I dont need a 40 point player to say he is best NHL guy. Everything to most of you on HF or fans is all about how much does this guy scorer. To me that is small part of equation to being a GREAT defender.

I look at the polls who has best bottom four defenders blah blah blah. I think everyone takes too much value into the guys making points and not enough into the guys who really are tough d men who have 28 minutes a game like girardi did and sacrifice night in night out etc..
Just cause a guy gets you 40 some points doesnt make him a nick lidstrom and sure as hell doesnt make a pronger or konstantinov to make a couple examples.

So is just my preference I think people on here and most fans value the guys who score the points even though their defense might not be that good at all and they are not even close to top in hits blocks penalty kill etc..

Hedman is really getting to be criminally underrated on these boards, but to see these kind of comments from a Lightning fan is weird.

While you're right that most people on HF value scoring from a defenseman more than they should, you need to realize that the main knock against Hedman from other fans is that he doesn't score ENOUGH. It's the focus on defense and his ES and PK time that keep him from being a higher scorer.

There isn't anything wrong with his defense, he is a legit top pairing d-man who sacrifices plenty. Yeah, he doesn't lay the hits or take the body as much as he could, but he's only going to get better in every aspect of his game. There is no way Gudas is a better all around guy in three years.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I don't see how you think that Gudas could be better than Hedman. Sure, he hits lot more than Hedman but he's worse in everything else. Hedman is better defensively, positionally, better skater, better offensively etc. And what, Gudas could be top-10 in blocked shots but Hedman couldn't?

Gudas: 22 GP, 28 blocked shots
Hedman 44 GP, 84 blocked shots

Hedman is what 10 minutes more a game right now? IF YOU TAKE THESE numbers than gudas will project to block 100 shots to hedmans 84 with same ice time?

Just because Gudas hits a lot it doesn't mean that he would block lots of shots. Gudas should be a solid second-pairing physical shutdown d-man but I don't see him being a top-pairing defenseman.

Give him time hedman is what 3-4 years ahead of him right now? I also said not sure he reaches overall game of hedman so hedged the bet. Think in long run he gudas will be better penalty killer. That means he has to work his butt off yet could happen. I think hedman is already under rated and a top 10-15 player unlike most of this board and not just talking tampa fans talking league fans also think hedman gets better at power play etc.. and the other areas so if progression continues he can become a true top 10 guy. Gudas top side doubt because not sure can ever become a great offensive guy of him hitting top 15 even to top 20 but top 30? top ten as a defensive defenseman? Yeah think he can hit that.

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Give him time hedman is what 3-4 years ahead of him right now? I also said not sure he reaches overall game of hedman so hedged the bet. Think in long run he gudas will be better penalty killer. That means he has to work his butt off yet could happen. I think hedman is already under rated and a top 10-15 player unlike most of this board and not just talking tampa fans talking league fans also think hedman gets better at power play etc.. and the other areas so if progression continues he can become a true top 10 guy. Gudas top side doubt because not sure can ever become a great offensive guy of him hitting top 15 even to top 20 but top 30? top ten as a defensive defenseman? Yeah think he can hit that.

You think Hedman is a top 10-15 player? And you think Gudas will become better then that?

I hope you're right.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
You think Hedman is a top 10-15 player? And you think Gudas will become better then that?

I hope you're right.

Defensively I think gudas can become better. Not all around. I think gudas is possibly a top 30 nhl defender overall and top 10 defensive defender.

I think Hedman is already an all around top 15 and as he grows over next few years will make it into top 10 overall. I think his scoring takes off soon as leader on power play line one.

I think Hedman has his first 40 point year this year and than becomes a mainstay at that. I do not see Gudas as ever being more than a 30 point type producer. Hedman could be high 40 type.

We could be pretty cool defensively in 3-4 years.

Hedman Gudas
KoekKoek Nesterov
Sustr Aulie
Korobov Depending on who plays together best. I really do not feel barberio will be here in 4 years yet might surprise me.

Last edited:

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013

Yeah, Hedman has 4 years more of NHL experience but he's still a little bit younger than Gudas. So at this point Hedman is the superior player at the same age. Obviously Gudas has potential to be a very good defenseman but I think you're overrating him a bit. But yeah, he could be better penalty killer in the long run but still, there are only few parts of the game where he has potential to be better than Hedman so it's pretty absurd to state that he'll be our best defenseman in the future.

That being said, I like Gudas a lot and love what he brings on the table but I don't want to expect too much from him; if we can have a very physical defenseman (~300 hits in a year) who can fight if needed, is solid in his own end and scores ~25 points in a year I will be very happy. And these kind of expectations are a lot, tbh.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yeah, Hedman has 4 years more of NHL experience but he's still a little bit younger than Gudas. So at this point Hedman is the superior player at the same age. Obviously Gudas has potential to be a very good defenseman but I think you're overrating him a bit. But yeah, he could be better penalty killer in the long run but still, there are only few parts of the game where he has potential to be better than Hedman so it's pretty absurd to state that he'll be our best defenseman in the future.

That being said, I like Gudas a lot and love what he brings on the table but I don't want to expect too much from him; if we can have a very physical defenseman (~300 hits in a year) who can fight if needed, is solid in his own end and scores ~25 points in a year I will be very happy. And these kind of expectations are a lot, tbh.

Agreed but hope he has the mentality and heart for all of that. I am very high on him think him and hedman pairing will be a really good one in a few years. Think they will match up together and mesh very well and give us legit one and two finally. and meant best defensive defensemen and yes hedman skates better uses stick better etc... hes getting smoother. Only thing holding him back from being one of top d men in league is points. So we will find out this year if he can make the move up the rings. He might not? There is still a question there I dont have it but till he proves he can hit the 40's he will not move up to what he should be:)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Give him time hedman is what 3-4 years ahead of him right now? I also said not sure he reaches overall game of hedman so hedged the bet. Think in long run he gudas will be better penalty killer. That means he has to work his butt off yet could happen. I think hedman is already under rated and a top 10-15 player unlike most of this board and not just talking tampa fans talking league fans also think hedman gets better at power play etc..

3-4 years? Hedman is 22 and Gudas is 23 and his development is already significantly ahead, Hedman also has a much higher ceiling and is already capable of being a #1 D-man, Gudas imo will be a rock solid #3/4-2nd line pairing guy at best.

I'm a big Hedman fan but he's nowhere near underrated nor is he anywhere close to a top-15 defender right now let alone top-10. Just because he isn't talked about doesn't make him underrated, it's not like he's constantly being downplayed or crapped on, he just hasn't done much to create a buzz. Especially when other young defense-men in his relative age group are guys named, Karlsson, Subban, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, OEL, Doughty etc..

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
In order to be a #1/#2 you need to contribute offensively. Gudas can move the puck up the ice, but his one timer and offensive smarts are average. Maybe he can develop that part of his game, but that would be a major positive surprise.

Hedman might have more latent ability than any defenseman in the NHL, and his game is already more refined than Gudas'.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
From Gudas' wiki page:

Radko Gudas (born June 5, 1990), also known as The Champ, is a Czech professional ice hockey player who is currently playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning in the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 3rd round (66th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He is most known for his domination of the Western Hockey League during the 2009–10 season in which he broke many records and a few hearts. He rightfully proclaimed to be good at everything.

Gudas played in the Czech Extraliga with HC Kladno during the 2008–09 season. He spent the 2011–12 season in the American Hockey League with the Norfolk Admirals where his vicious hip checks and legendary beard carried the Admirals to a ridiculous 28-game winning streak and the league championship.

During the shortened 2012–13 season, whilst with AHL affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch, Gudas received his first NHL recall from Tampa Bay on March 11, 2013.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radko_Gudas

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad