Radel Fazleev - C - 6'0" - 176 - Calgary WHL - 2014 pick (6-168)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Radel Fazleev C RUS 6' 0" 176 WHL Calgary

Stats: http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=86170

Fazleev_medium1248.jpg

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/14658
-----------------------

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/radel-fazleev/

2013-14: Fazleev played for Russia's U18 team in the 2013 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in August before joining the WHL's Calgary Hitmen. He played 38 regular season games for Calgary in his first season, suffering a broken wrist at the beginning of January that kept him out the lineup until the start of the playoffs. Fazleev scored 5 goals with 20 assists and was +1 with 12 penalty minutes. The Hitmen finished first in the Central Division. Fazleev scored 1 goal with 2 assists in four games for Russia at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. He was ranked 129th amongst North American skaters in Central Scouting's mid-term rankings prior to the 2014 NHL Draft.

Last edited:

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
"A creative playmaker with some raw but impressive tools. His skating while effective at the junior level could use some improvements. He battles along the wall and finishes his hits. His shot is strong and he has good touch around the net. His game is pretty inconsistent from shift-to-shift"

from elitepropects

Teammate of Sanhiem's.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
HP:

He lacks high-end top speed and quickly found out he wasn’t able dan- gle through entire teams.

He returned from injury (wrist) in the playoffs where he was among Calgary’s best players in a first round loss to the Kootenay Ice.

Fazleev’s strengths are his strong puck possession skills, his ability to control the puck while on his edges and ability to distribute the puck.

He has shown good character is standing up for his teammates. He also earned the praise of team trainers with his solid work ethic in trying to rehabilitate his wrist and hitting the gym to get stronger and faster.

Good offensive tools, looks like. Posibly could have gone earlier if not for injury.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Ranked 114 at Hockey Prospect

Summary:

-Skilled, but struggled to adjust to NA game early on in WHL season
-Lacks top end speed
-Suffered wrist injury as he was getting more adjusted
-Came back and played really well in playoff series
-Strong puck possession player

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
An inconsistent, playmaking Russian with great tools. That I've heard many times. Finishes his hits and works well on the boards as well? Odd mixture there.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ranked 114 at Hockey Prospect

Summary:

-Skilled, but struggled to adjust to NA game early on in WHL season
-Lacks top end speed
-Suffered wrist injury as he was getting more adjusted
-Came back and played really well in playoff series
-Strong puck possession player

So a guy ranked as a 4th rounder in the 6th to add to Lindblom who was a ~2nd rounder to start the year in the 5th.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
For the record though, pretty good pick for a sixth rounder. Great tools and some good potential and seems to have good character. Also fell slightly because of circumstance.

Pretty nice for a sixth.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
One more pick to go but so far I like this group. They are all legit players who could develop into something. No Placek, Forbes, Magarrell, Clackson kind of garbage that can never amount to anything. Add this guy to the growing list of Flyer picks that finish their season a strong note

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
One more pick to go but so far I like this group. They are all legit players who could develop into something. No Placek, Forbes, Magarrell, Clackson kind of garbage that can never amount to anything. Add this guy to the growing list of Flyer picks that finish their season a strong note

He actually looked pretty promising initially for a 6th rounder.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I never thought highly of Placek. I played against him several times in his draft year, and watched him a handful more, and never came away thinking he'd ever be much at the pro level.

It's also impossibly difficult to project future NHL level talent with New England prep school players. The range of talent in prep school is enormous, and even the most dominant of prep players (eg, Ryan Donato) is extremely tough to pin down.

Like I said in the other thread, I wouldn't pick players straight out of prep school. I'd let them go to college before evaluating them as potential picks (as was the case with Gostisbehere).

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
He actually looked pretty promising initially for a 6th rounder.

I agree with 99 percent of what you say on this forum but this time we don't line up at all. The kid was picked based on prep school highschool numbers looked like crap in his prospect camp (doesn't even get invited anymore) and can barely crack the lineup in college.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
The injury was from before he was ever drafted. Anyway, this thread has been derailed by me and I'm sorry. Back to this Russian kid the more that I read him the more that I like him. There isn't really anyone in our system quite like him.

whlscowt

I think you guys got a heckuva player. I actually got a call last week from a team asking me about him, wanting my opinion. He's really versatile, and he possesses an inordinate amount of defensive smarts. I think Russian players with skill are just assumed to be poor defensive players, and while he's certainly not a shutdown force, he's really intelligent without the puck. He'll hit, he'll occasionally block shots, some people think he doesn't play hard from shift to shift, but watch this kids head. He's always in the game. He's always looking around, moving a few spaces over as he reads the puck--he's a viper, planning to strike. Without the puck he reminds me a bit of Datsyuk, with just a bit more of an edge. His skating is an area that needs work, but I really think you guys got a future NHL'er from the 6th round.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Most interested to see what happens with more ice time. That's where I think they were with this pick. Feels like a guy who might go higher next year if he went undrafted.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad