News Article: Rachel Doerrie has left the Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Put yourself in each side’s situation. Canucks now have an opening for the head of their analytics team. Anyone who applies is going to ask what happened to the first person they hired? They want to know what the working conditions are or the culture of the organization and whether they are a fit. They would know RD left after 8 months only so what happened? Is it her call or did the company decided to move on from her. What kind of job security should they expect?

For RD, how will she explain her exit to another organization when she applies for a position? That other organization will ask why did she leave. Would want to find out either directly from the team or side channels why she left. No company wants to bring in people who are out under a year. Especially if they have a track record of leaving rather quickly.
It doesn't change the point you were making but she wasn't the head of the analytics team.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Shockingly, all of the same people who were saying you can't rush to judgement on Virtanen and the Aquilini stuff look like Usian Bolt in the 100m as they rush to judgement with no facts of any sort here. ...
I appreciate that this forum has a lot of people who seem to rush to judgment with little evidence and without inescapable logic, but the use of "all" is an overstatement.

Reactions: SurferBroChad

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
They've handled it by doing nothing until it snowballed into something they had to address, and did the bare minimum.

Another team might have recognized the error in doing that, and just got ahead of it by releasing a statement.

Edit... and this market isn't like every other market and the team should know that.
Why would we assume they even care much? The consequences to the team so far have been Bruce Boudreau having to spend 45 seconds fielding a couple of questions he couldn't answer. That's it. This is only a scandal to a few hundred die hard fans, and we'll forget about it soon enough. If Doerrie is in fact unpleasant to work with, firing her won't hurt the team's ability to find new talent.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The way they've handled it has only increased the focus on it.

This is someone a week ago the coach was raving about by name and then something happens and they go complete radio silence. The team has to know the market and how it would react. They've handled things terribly.
I completely disagree with that last sentence.

Sometimes saying nothing is the best way to handle things. That we are a fervent fan base that wants to know all about our team doesn't in any way mean the organization should tell us everything.

Further, if the reason would result in the organization saying something negative about Doerrie, then pretty clearly saying nothing is the right way to go. The team's lawyer may even be advising them to say nothing to avoid a defamation suit or potentially increasing the damages for wrongful dismissal or breach of contract.

Of course, not knowing the reason for the parting of the ways it is impossible to judge whether they've handled things well here, but I have no problem with an organization that is generally tight-lipped.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I’m hoping it comes out that one of Granato or Castonguay just really had it out for her and did a hatchet job cause women.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Put yourself in each side’s situation. Canucks now have an opening for the head of their analytics team. Anyone who applies is going to ask what happened to the first person they hired? They want to know what the working conditions are or the culture of the organization and whether they are a fit. They would know RD left after 8 months only so what happened? Is it her call or did the company decided to move on from her. What kind of job security should they expect?

For RD, how will she explain her exit to another organization when she applies for a position? That other organization will ask why did she leave. Would want to find out either directly from the team or side channels why she left. No company wants to bring in people who are out under a year. Especially if they have a track record of leaving rather quickly.
1. Canucks don't have an opening for head of the analytics department. Aiden Fox was named to that position in May. Doerrie was most recently working as an assistant to video coach Dylan Crawford.

2. The fact that some people will want to know what happened doesn't make it right to splash it in the media, nor does it necessarily make it right for the Canucks to tell prospective hires or Doerrie employers.

Much as the media will hate not getting the goods and some fans think they have a right to know everything about the team, I'm impressed that the organization has become tight-lipped since the management changes of 2021-22.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
personally I think this thread is the perfect example of why the internet is so messed up. This is an example of an employee that didn’t fit with the organization. Only now does social media need to highlight this as a tragedy of epic proportions. It happens all the time. People move on. Employees learn from their mistakes or don’t. Employers learn from their mistakes or don’t. Life goes on.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
It wouldn't be a Canucks season without a bit on controversy and baseless speculation :laugh:

Regardless of what the cause was - leaving 2 organizations in such a short time is probably not a great look for Doerrie

Last edited:
Reactions: Azrael89 and MarkMM

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Don't forget to hashtag #veilofsecrecy when discussing this on Twitter. Speak truth to power.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If I got fired from my job I sure as hell don’t want the company to do a public release about why. Not sure why people are so obsessed about this. It would be pretty classless for the Canuck’s to announce why she is no longer with the team.

She’s simply not high level enough to warrant that type of disclosure.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I completely disagree with that last sentence.

Sometimes saying nothing is the best way to handle things. That we are a fervent fan base that wants to know all about our team doesn't in any way mean the organization should tell us everything.

Further, if the reason would result in the organization saying something negative about Doerrie, then pretty clearly saying nothing is the right way to go. The team's lawyer may even be advising them to say nothing to avoid a defamation suit or potentially increasing the damages for wrongful dismissal or breach of contract.

Of course, not knowing the reason for the parting of the ways it is impossible to judge whether they've handled things well here, but I have no problem with an organization that is generally tight-lipped.
I'm betting they're working on some kind of settlement agreement where both sides can come out without looking like the "bad guy" and can walk away clean.
As a former management-side L+E lawyer I can pretty much guarantee it's this. The reason for departure and how to handle references are high-priority concerns for a departing employee, and management is usually willing to negotiate that in order to get a signed release.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucker

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Maybe she just wasn’t a fit? People get fired all the time, if this was the GM or coach , or any high position employee then maybe we can say something. Nothing lost here, move on.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I found it odd when she was suddenly doing video stuff for bruce. My first thought was she was hired to work with the analytics team now shes suddenly doing video and working as an assistant for the video coach.

I take it whatever the reason, it just was not working and they cut ties.

She was doing both.

You are sure as of the other week? The one report I read said was she was working as an assistant for the video coach. She might have been doing both as in she was also providing analytics for the coach, but it sounded like she was entirely working with the coaching staff. Then again we are talking about a change in a few weeks span, and none of us work at the canucks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
1. Canucks don't have an opening for head of the analytics department. Aiden Fox was named to that position in May. Doerrie was most recently working as an assistant to video coach Dylan Crawford.

2. The fact that some people will want to know what happened doesn't make it right to splash it in the media, nor does it necessarily make it right for the Canucks to tell prospective hires or Doerrie employers.

Much as the media will hate not getting the goods and some fans think they have a right to know everything about the team, I'm impressed that the organization has become tight-lipped since the management changes of 2021-22.
As a former management-side L+E lawyer I can pretty much guarantee it's this. The reason for departure and how to handle references are high-priority concerns for a departing employee, and management is usually willing to negotiate that in order to get a signed release.

I got her title incorrect as well as her standing in the organization.

She’s likely not making any significant amount of money compared to the assistant coaches or other AGM and other management staff.

It’s really a matter of the severance package and finalizing the official reason for her departure. Either it’s going to be a personal decision on her part or the team opted to move on from her. They might even agree to say that they mutually parted ways. Nothing more than that.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
It’s really a matter of the severance package and finalizing the official reason for her departure. Either it’s going to be a personal decision on her part or the team opted to move on from her. They might even agree to say that they mutually parted ways. Nothing more than that.

i disagree but only because if they had any kind of separation agreement they would have just announced a mutual parting of ways (or that doerrie was leaving for health reasons or to pursue other opportunities or whatever pr cover they agreed on). the fact that the canucks no commented means there's no separation agreement imo

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
i disagree but only because if they had any kind of separation agreement they would have just announced a mutual parting of ways (or that doerrie was leaving for health reasons or to pursue other opportunities or whatever pr cover they agreed on). the fact that the canucks no commented means there's no separation agreement imo

Yeah I wonder if they're still working on the separation agreement and that's why they're not saying anything, in case the first official statement from the team is something Doerrie's side is valuing highly in negotiations.

I was involved in negotiating the exit of a very high executive in my company, now everyone within the company and most of our investors knew he had been fired, but we didn't say anything officially until his exit package was agreed to, and even the wording of whether he was fired (he was) or if it was mutual (what he wanted to be said) was a key part of the negotiation, so our lawyers were adamant that we not say anything lest we not be able to get that negotiating piece back.

And that took months to resolve.

So I guess I can see both sides; it's naive in the extreme to not see that the Canucks rode the profile of hiring her, and that they could then turn around and pretend that her firing is not newsworthy. This team was derided for making terrible decisions from an analytics point of view so her hiring was understandably also seen as significant in that regard, so fans can rightly want to know what's going on due to what it would signal from the team. Was she fired for being an ass or was she forced out because the team doesn't want to pay attention to her viewpoints? That's legitimate.

From a media perspective it just looks silly for them to literally say nothing while everyone is reporting it, but bad media may be the lesser of two evils if the lawyers involved in the negotiation are saying that as painful as it is, silence is smart move, in which case maybe the team is just demonstrating solid discipline.

As an observer it's fun to watch, but yeah, being 25 and having everyone talking about how you got fired from the job that you just moved here weeks ago to take amid such fanfare must be brutal.

If that's true ^^, I've seen some people call her being moved to the coaching staff as a "promotion", I remember thinking at the time (last week, lol) that I would have taken that as a demotion.

Now I wonder if that's what it was or how she perceived it, that she wasn't a fit for the analytics team so they moved her perhaps unwillingly to the coaching staff and she wouldn't accept the move so there was a standoff and she got outed over it?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Yeah I wonder if they're still working on the separation agreement and that's why they're not saying anything, in case the first official statement from the team is something Doerrie's side is valuing highly in negotiations.

I was involved in negotiating the exit of a very high executive in my company, now everyone within the company and most of our investors knew he had been fired, but we didn't say anything officially until his exit package was agreed to, and even the wording of whether he was fired (he was) or if it was mutual (what he wanted to be said) was a key part of the negotiation, so our lawyers were adamant that we not say anything lest we not be able to get that negotiating piece back.

And that took months to resolve.

So I guess I can see both sides; it's naive in the extreme to not see that the Canucks rode the profile of hiring her, and that they could then turn around and pretend that her firing is not newsworthy. This team was derided for making terrible decisions from an analytics point of view so her hiring was understandably also seen as significant in that regard, so fans can rightly want to know what's going on due to what it would signal from the team. Was she fired for being an ass or was she forced out because the team doesn't want to pay attention to her viewpoints? That's legitimate.

From a media perspective it just looks silly for them to literally say nothing while everyone is reporting it, but bad media may be the lesser of two evils if the lawyers involved in the negotiation are saying that as painful as it is, silence is smart move, in which case maybe the team is just demonstrating solid discipline.

As an observer it's fun to watch, but yeah, being 25 and having everyone talking about how you got fired from the job that you just moved here weeks ago to take amid such fanfare must be brutal.

If that's true ^^, I've seen some people call her being moved to the coaching staff as a "promotion", I remember thinking at the time (last week, lol) that I would have taken that as a demotion.

Now I wonder if that's what it was or how she perceived it, that she wasn't a fit for the analytics team so they moved her perhaps unwillingly to the coaching staff and she wouldn't accept the move so there was a standoff and she got outed over it?
I’m trying to understand something and I can’t quiet make sense of it

The Mikheyev MCL tear? This is not true correct? The rumour is she was given false info or something like this

Honestly I don’t really care about her firing, I’m more concerned about the injury but the Twitter verse is a dark place so I don’t wanna get my info from there

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I’m trying to understand something and I can’t quiet make sense of it

The Mikheyev MCL tear? This is not true correct? The rumour is she was given false info or something like this

Honestly I don’t really care about her firing, I’m more concerned about the injury but the Twitter verse is a dark place so I don’t wanna get my info from there

Are you linking her firing to the Knee injury report?

Reactions: Orca Smash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad