News Article: Raanta hoped for 1st round sweep (out of context and/or not accurate?)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can't blame anyone for being peeved at an organization that demoted you, but yeah.... not a very smart idea to express that point of view. And certainly makes moving him make even more sense.

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
I'd be kind of pissed too if I lost the backup job and got demoted despite posting .936 SV% (I'm not arguing Darling didn't earn that job, just that I see Raanta's point). But yeah, you probably shouldn't go as far as to root against your own team.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The quotes like that don't sound like how he's ever presented himself before. It seems potentially misleading

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Lots of Hawks writers on Twitter calling BS. Hopefully it was just taken out of context. Doesn't sound like him.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm not surprised he felt that way - although, I am surprised he admitted to it.

Interesting he said that at the time they suffered from poor team spirit.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The quotes like that don't sound like how he's ever presented himself before. It seems potentially misleading

Maybe .... but it could be that Raanta felt more comfortable "telling it like it was" since he was on his home turf. Sure he was pissed, but someone needs to advise him that in future, it's better to keep such to himself. It only serves to burn bridges.

I doubt things will get any easier for him either. The age of the big, lanky and athletic goaltender is upon us, and he isn't part of that fraternity.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I'm starting to become fascinated by the idea that this 2015 team might have won a ****ing Stanley Cup with "not great morale", 4D one of whom was going through a divorce with unsubstantiated teammate discord floating around it.

I feel like this cup is starting to look crazier by the day.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I'm starting to become fascinated by the idea that this 2015 team might have won a ****ing Stanley Cup with "not great morale", 4D one of whom was going through a divorce with unsubstantiated teammate discord floating around it.

It does feel bizarre. Also seems like an eternity ago.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

Yeah, it already felt like the most special of the three back in June.

But all of the events of this summer have just made it look so much crazier.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
IF he said that ... he's a *bad person* <mod edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
who does really know what he really said.....if it's true, he's quite an idiot. If it's not, then the idiot is the one who made it out or/and out of a context or so.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Assuming the translation is correct, what exactly can you take out of context if he wished for a Nashville sweep?

He's a jokester. He's been cynical and sarcastic too when he talks.

The article had 2 quotes from Raanta. I'm judging a goalie on 2 quotes in a limited, almost non existent context.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
My thoughts exactly. That quote seems pretty clear cut. No breaks in the quote or anything.

Unless there was a follow up comment that was omitted.
Was he laughing as he answered? Was he just talking about quick ideas that popped in his head that he later talked himself out of?

The organization gave him an extension and a soft landing, are we confident that he's throwing the whole thing under the bus and then celebrating with the cup in a Hawks jersey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad